SGM 12 Round Mag falling out?

I was able to take my VEPR out for the first time. I had a Russian 5 round, 8 round and a 12 round SGM that I just received from the Atlantic pre-order. The VEPR ran great, but every time I shot a round from the SGM it would fall out. I tried at least 5 or 6 times, made sure I saw the mag locking lever move and lock into place, but no luck. When comparing to the Russian mag, it doesn't seem to lock as easily and there isn't that little bit of play I have with them. I'm assuming I'mgoing to need to do a little filing on the SGM, as the lugs seem a little taller. Has any one else experienced this?

I haven't tried my SGM mags yet. But, I have a pile of Izzy magwell mags. Two of them fall out upon firing. They came, from the factory, with too much filed off the bottom of the catch. Not saying this is your problem. Just saying I have seen the same issue with too loose of a mag.

As Captain said, you might want to check with SGM. Be patient, I would imagine they are a bit swamped with thing right now.

One of the two I got seems like it takes a little extra push to get it to lock in. Like its just tight and needs to break in. I will update when I run both mags and see how they work. I would make sure its locking in.

Im sure sgm will send you a new one if there is a problem.

Ive noticed on mine, if I push it in as far as it will go, it will try to lock in, but I found that if I put a tad bit of pressure back towards me, it locks in all the way. So on mine, I just put it in all the way, and pull back on it just a bit in one motion and it locks in fully. I'd say it will get easier with use.

Edited by Captain Hero

Ive noticed on mine, if I push it in as far as it will go, it will try to lock in, but I found that if I put a tad bit of pressure back towards me, it locks in all the way. So on mine, I just put it in all the way, and pull back on it just a bit in one motion and it locks in fully. I'd say it will get easier with use.

Thats what she said......

• Like 2

Thats what she said......

haha.gif I have a tendancy to post material that can easily be taken in a perverted manner. And upon reading my post, I laughed out loud after you brought that to my attention. lol.

• Like 1

We have tested these mags to the point of it being ridiculous. There will be a break in period for them to be easier to insert and lock in place. Like a AR mag when you insert it slap the bottom or rock it to make sure it is locked in. We have over 2000 rounds in several mags from the same batch with no issues.

• Like 4

As stated before, since there are some variances in the shotguns a break in is required. We have tested many magazines in about 10 different guns, some take more effort to lock in place but they will break in. If they fall out then they are not locked in to start with.

• Like 2

I have 4 SGM 12 Rounders and 3 Factory 5 Rounders. I haven't had a problem with any of these falling out of the veprs I have shot them from. Over 500 rounds so far.

I just got a shipment of 4 more SGMs from MAA today as well, 3 10s and another 12. I will be shooting from those in the next week or so, will report back.

No issues with locking or falling out. Definetly take a little bump and wiggle to get the brand new SGMS to lock in, but I suspect, as stated, it will take a little break in - if not I will hit it with paper later on, but first need to look into other items.

• 1 month later...

I bump this topic because of an interesting occurrence last weekend when I was shooing my Vepr 12 with my new SGM 12s.

Before taking them out the first time I had manually broken them in by loading and unloading them and inserting them and removing them several times to make sure I was getting a strong lockup. The one on the right in both pictures below ran fine and I was shooting Federal Multipurpose loads in #8. However, the one on the left was feeding fine but on the 6th or 7th shot the magazine fell out of the gun and would fall out each subsequent shot. I noticed there was a chip missing in the area of highest relief in the mag catch lip.

Anyone else had this happen where you develop a chip? I am going to send these images to SGM as it seems that the chip is preventing a solid lockup causing the magazine to fall out on each shot. Since one seems to run and the other doesn't I do not think that this is a gun issue (it also runs fine with the Molot 5s).

img0962xe.jpg

img0964rq.jpg

Check out my topic http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/84047-sgm-mags-jamming/

I had a very similar issue with the magazine tab not getting a good hold on the sgm mags. Had to file the veprs magazine tab SLIGHTLY. But was great after that.

For me and possibly for you no amount of breaking in the mag will help. The mag catch on the magazine or the shotgun doesn't come out enough . Mine began showing signs of slight chipping but I figured it out before they had any damage beyond some slight wear near the corner of the mag catch.

Edited by papa_celms
Check out my topic http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/84047-sgm-mags-jamming/

I had a very similar issue with the magazine tab not getting a good hold on the sgm mags. Had to file the veprs magazine tab SLIGHTLY. But was great after that.

For me and possibly for you no amount of breaking in the mag will help. The mag catch on the magazine or the shotgun doesn't come out enough . Mine began showing signs of slight chipping but I figured it out before they had any damage beyond some slight wear near the corner of the mag catch.

This is interesting. Did you have problems with the Molot mags as well? They show no sign of wear and I have put birdshot and slugs through them.