SGM Mags jamming

Hey everyone I've been a lurker on this site since I ordered my vepr 12 a month ago. I finally received my vepr 12 yesterday and today I took it out for a spin. I ran a 10rnd sgm mag a 12rnd sgm mag and the factory mag.

The factory mag worked great but the sgm mags did nothing but jam, and fall out of the bottom of the gun after evey shot. I looked up reviews on the sgm mags and saw nothing but praise anyone else have any issues, any thoughts.

I also noticed that the mags are considerably harder to get into the gun than the factory(they catch on the gun inside the mag well), but I believe that its because they have sharp edges instead of rounder ones like the factory.

I made sure they were inserted in the gun. I stuck em in and yanked on em to verify.

HMM found this still reading through it.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/82964-sgm-12-round-mag-falling-out/

Edited by papa_celms

Not sure what to tell you but here is a slight aside.

My first two SGM 12s for the Vepr had mag bodies that narrowed too much towards the top. From the time that I sent them in to the time that I got them back was 1 week. So if you have some issues SGM is very willing to help you out. The replacements I broke in by hand by loading and unloading them until the rounds would no longer stick. My final test was to cycle them manually (vigorously) through the action which they did without failing. Needless to say, if I have more issue I have no doubt that SGM will help me out.

Drop them an email if you're not satisfied.

Took it out again really waked on the bottom of the mag with my palm. Still isn't catching properly. After looking over the mag it appears that the mag catch on the gun is just barely catching the lip of the mag what would the best rout in breaking it in be without putting a file to it. I don't want to void my warranty.

To elaborate on chevy's post, SGM stated that all their mags are from the same mold so they are all identical. Differences in the guns would be the only variable in accounting for any fit issues. They then continued by recommending to hand load a few times and then load and eject the magazine a few times to make it fit to your specific firearm better. They do have excellent customer service and will take good care of any issues you have.

well I'm at a loss. The only think I can see is that when I insert the factory magazine, the mag clip on the shotgun makes contact against the outside wall of the magazine itself. (Fully covering the magazine tab.) When I insert the SGM magazine any of the 4 different SGM magazines I bought, The guns magazine locking clip only covers about half the SGM magazine catch tab.

Another thing I've discovered is that If I hold the magazine eject button shut the magazine stays in the gun, instead of falling out after each shot. Only did this 1 or 2 times so i haven't tested this extensively, but The SGM magazine ALLWAYS falls out after each shot.

It sounds like the tab needs to be fitted a very little bit. A couple of strokes with a precision file on the tab should do it. They can either make them fit all weapons easily and some weapons sloppily, or they can make them where they may need slight fitting. I would rather fit the mags than have them fit loosely.

I tried to get some pictures of the veprs magazine tab covering the sgm tab but the camera couldn't get take a decent picture through such a small hole. This is what I could get though.

I'm afraid ill have to modify the vepr magazine release switch so that the catch portion can grab the sgm mags better.

Factory Magazine

IMAG0143_zps46f9ff6c.jpg

IMAG0141_zps35050237.jpg

SGM Magazine

IMAG0146_zpsd953bb29.jpg

IMAG0140_zps8c16aede.jpg

Edited by papa_celms

I'm guessing the SGM mags were made over sized compared to the factory mags. Since the factory mag works fine and the SGM mags are over sized in other dimensions, I'd file on the SGM mags first or consider getting an aftermarket catch to play with.

If you file the catch much, it's likely the factory mags won't fit right.

Edited by Aries144

I too am having extreme difficulty fitting my new SGM mags into the magwell. All my factory mags fit fine. Where should I file? I have tried to email SGM and received no response regarding this. Also, I never received my hi-cap for preordering the Vepr. Who should I contact re this? MAA or SGM.

Alright I Fixed it sucessfully, and figured out how to install the spring fairly easily took around an hr and a half to figure out how to get the spring in correctly and damaged one, but now that I know how to do it easy pezy.

If your magazine catch isn't grabbing the mag fully its because the ramp on the veprs magazine catch isn't filed down enough. I'm thinking about making a tut vid if there's support for it.

Anyway I'm using a saga 12 mag catch for reference since mines in my gun but you need to file here. Its helpful to file and put the pin in without the spring then manually latch the pin, peer down the mag catch hole and see where it grabs. I have mine catch the mag nearly to the body of the magazine.

IMAG0149_zps6f7f2681.jpg

Edited by papa_celms