I think i broke my saiga 20

:cryss:

Ok heres the problem...

im shooting slugs and they are so far off the the right that the adjustment in my scope will not make up for it. Elevation im good, but the windage is way off.

using the built in sights it is also way off to the right.

The gun groups good about 1" @ 50 Yds

I did something very stupid with my saiga and i think i knocked the barrel out of alignment.

I had the gun with the buttstock sitting on the floor the barrel pointing up towards the ceiling.

I had the gun like that and i basically grabbed the barrel and pushed down on the whole thing to push in a new buttstock.

Stupid me - Stupid me

:ded:

I'm thinking how the hell can i fix that?

Maybe just bend the barrel the other way?

Maybe dissasemble the scope mount and shim it to compensate for the canted barrel if that is truly the problem?

If i shim the mount to get a zero at 50yds will the point of impact drift out horizontally when the yardage changes?

I'm going to pick up a laser boresighter and figure this out somehow

any suggestions or advice?

Edited by unknown_entity

for the scope im using a BSA 3-9 x 40 with an Izhmash saiga side rail scope mount

The sights on the gun are the adjustabe elevation sights (the rail on top the gas tube)

see the link for the pics of my setup:

?my saiga pics

I know these guns are tough but i pressed down really hard on the barrel to push in a stock maybe it just moved where the trunion and reciever meet. It's probably not likely the barrel is bent itself but maybe it's just tilted with reference to the side rail csope mount.

I really cant do much else now i'll have to go buy a boresighter and figure this out somehow

Edited by unknown_entity

I agree, your barrel is probably fine. The barrels on 'em are pretty beefy.

Did it ever shoot dead on and this just happened?

About how far off is way off? You may be able to shim it with pieces of aluminum beer cans between the scope and rings, or put a 1" piece of bar stock in the rings and smack it with a hammer.

Let us know & keep us posted...

:smoke:

before i bust out the hammer or start shimming things im going to buy a laser boresighter and see whats causing it to be so off.

I have a high rise weaver rail mount that i can dissassemble and shim with washers or use a feeler gauge to shim. I figure its would be better to shim the mount like that.

Lets see... with the scopes windage cranked all the way it was still about 18" -24" to the right of the crosshairs.

This is going to sound REALLY stupid, but maybe it can save you some trouble and it's a quick experiment :unsure: . Try adjusting the windage the other direction. Maybe somehow the knobs are all crossed or something crazy like that. However, if your factory sights aren't working well either I think it's something with the barrel and not the optic.

Is there a choke on it? If that was installed at an angle, it might could mess up the point of impact. Let us know if you find a cheap laser boresighter, I wouldn't mind grabbin' one of them.

The cheapest I found that will do 20 gauge is $65 at sportsmansguide.com.

I bought one of their $35 BSA ones that does .17 to .50 cal and it just so happens the laser body fits in the bore of a 12 gauge. Worked for me. The fit is adjustable with different o-rings. Since a 20's bore is about 5/8" you could probably use some rubber fuel tubing instead of the o-rings and get it to work.

Let us know what you do... :smoke:

edit to fix typo...

Edited by dinzag

O.K. I have a piece of 3/8" i.d. fuel line I found. The o.d. is 5/8". I cut 2 small pieces about 1/2" long and put them over 2 of the o-rings. The bore sighter slipped right in the bore of the 20 gauge. :super:

I'll try to get some pics up this weekend. If you do that, you can get the $35 one and it should do every gun you can think of and save you $30!

The gun is NOT BROKE... I have the SAME PROBLEM with my S20 that I can shoot perfect rounds of trap with...

You may need to try other slugs... AS WELL AS adjusting the mount... I have trouble with my mounts sometimes. ALso, its possibly the SIDERAIL on the receiver... if its not PERFECT... and TRUE... you will mounting your optics crooked... I have some Siagas that cannot use a certain scope on ONE rifle, but I can on another, due to whatever reason... and thats with the same mount...

It makes little sense... the WHY's of all this... but I think you will find that doing some shim work will probably be the cheapest, easiest fix that will actually WORK.

Good LUCK!

:smoke: