New Saiga kinda runs low brass

I don't post alot, mainly lurk. I recently purchased a Legion IZ-412 and was able to take it out this weekend. I didn't have alot of time, but was able to fire a little through it.

I wasn't expecting much, all I had to shoot was Remington Nitro, No. 8 shot. Suprisingly the gun did pretty well. Starting out it had FTEjects which I did not mind, I was expecting this after what I had read. The bolt was coming back and the shells were turning but not fully ejecting. I manually cycled them and after about two 5rd mags I was able to get two to three to fire before a FTEject. On the last two mags I leaned into the gun a little more and one mag fired four and the other fired all five without any hiccups.

I know that dosen't sound like a fully reliable but I am really relieved. I thought the whole time would be spent firing it as a single shot.

Welcome.

Please read the stickies they will help you relax and not repeat mistakes.

I recommend you address that reliability very systematically by following the process outlined in the link in my signature. There are other ways to get there, but be methodical. I work front to back, others work back to front... Just don't skip around buying stuff and changing parts back and forth. One change at a time until it is reliable.

Welcome.

Please read the stickies they will help you relax and not repeat mistakes.

I recommend you address that reliability very systematically by following the process outlined in the link in my signature. There are other ways to get there, but be methodical. I work front to back, others work back to front... Just don't skip around buying stuff and changing parts back and forth. One change at a time until it is reliable.

I think I will shoot it some more before I do anything, and continue to keep reading and try to keep learning.

I was just expecting my first outing to go alot worse.

Edited by shootingmonkey

Yes, but did you at least read the reliability link in my sig?

It matters what you shoot. If you aren't shooting the right crappy ammo, it won't tell you anything useful for finding out whether your gun will work. "Breaking in" is pointless beyond compacting the spring about a hundred times, and hand cycling the bolt does that as well.

That is part of being systematic. You can just do a bunch of stuff and hope something makes a difference, or you can learn from the experience of others and do only the things that are actually helpful.

I just took my first Saiga out yesterday for the first time with about 5 different kinds of ammo. After about 50 shots using some heavy 3" slugs and buck I started using some 2 3/4 high brass stuff. All worked great so I was very happy with it. I decided to try the winchester super target shells I had which are "extra light" low brass and weak as hell for anyone who didnt know. It worked in my gun without a single ftf/fte in 50 shells. Ejected shells fell right at my feet, they kind of just plopped out. I was expecting to have no luck with it. I guess I got lucky and picked up a nicely tuned Saiga, which should save me a lot of time and money down the road.

Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like you picked up a good one, mine has taken quite a bit more tweaking and part replacing to shoot bulk pack with any reliability..

All I could recommend would be a good aftermarket gas plug (I picked up a dph brand) to get a little more oomph with the low power stuff and just shoot the hell out of it. Over time as parts wear in together it smooths out helping with reliability. Other than that a conversion would be a fun project if you haven't already, it really helps to know the ins and outs of your S12.

No plug will not add "oomph" or gas. It is only an inhibitor of gas. That's why it's called a regulator. The most wide open plug out there is the #2 setting of the original factory plug that came on the gun. Make sure your ports are clean and exposed. Then start at the back of the gun eliminating friction by reprofiling, then polishing parts. After all possible friction work is done, address port size if the gun still doesn't run Winchester Universal from the 100 pack at Walmart. This is the proper order to follow and the proper baseline ammo. If you want, you can run Federal bulk dove loads and stop there, but Win. Universal is the best "weak" ammo to run. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER THAN FACTORY SPRINGS. Be methodical and change one thing between testing to see progress. This will save you time and money.

This is basically what Gunfun was telling you to do. Do it this way, and post pictures when you finish or if you have trouble. Read on the forum. Use Google as the search tool for this forum. These guys like helping out. Have fun with it!