Recoil Reduction: Mid-barrel Comp vs. GK-01 Brake

I am planning to add either mid-barrel comp or permanently attached GK-01 to my modified S12. If I go with the GK-01 then I will cut the factory barrel length down and permanently attach the brake for 18" OAL. If I go with the mid-barrel comp then I will leave barrel at 19" since cutting off 1" is too much trouble for nothing.

I simply want to know which will give me the most recoil reduction of these two choices? Gun already has the gas system moved back 2.25" so cycling is not an issue either way. Cost is not a factor. Interested in recoil reduction/muzzle climb between these two options only! Don't care about anything else. Anyone tried both who can educate me?

Edited by lsxevo

I've used both and far prefer the GK-01. Problem is how to use chokes with the GK-01 I don't like the russian choke adapters, they make the gun too long. I 've modified two guns for use with both chokes and the GK-01. In the photo, the right gun is internally threaded for chokes, then the GK-01 was bored out and the then is held on to the barrel by a custom made compression fitting. The left gun uses a Rem choke adapter, I turned down the choke adapter just a bit, then the GK-01 was bored out to match to OD of the choke adapter and is held on by set screws with matching dimples in the choke adapter to be absolutely sure it doesn't come off accidentally. Both systems work fine.

post-31037-0-27626800-1359768672_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
I've used both and far prefer the GK-01. Problem is how to use chokes with the GK-01 I don't like the russian choke adapters, they make the gun too long. I 've modified two guns for use with both chokes and the GK-01. In the photo, the right gun is internally threaded for chokes, then the GK-01 was bored out and the then is held on to the barrel by a custom made compression fitting. The left gun uses a Rem choke adapter, I turned down the choke adapter just a bit, then the GK-01 was bored out to match to OD of the choke adapter and is held on by set screws with matching dimples in the choke adapter to be absolutely sure it doesn't come off accidentally. Both systems work fine.

I am really only interested in comparing recoil reduction between the two as mentioned earlier. I personally, don't care about chokes. So you are saying that the GK-01 gives more recoil reduction over a mid-barrel comp or you just like it better for whatever reason? I only ask because it is a little unclear to me after reading your post. Thanks.

Edited by lsxevo

I shoot in 3 gun competition and have given this whole comp thing a lot of attention. In my opinion, the GK-01 gives more recoil reduction. Both reduce recoil, but the sensation is different, I find GK-01 more comfortable and faster to shoot. GK-01 recoil is a rolling motion and my red dot barely moves. The sensation difference was so noticable that I welded up the mid-barrel comp holes in one gun and switched to GK-01. My friends have also switched to GK-01.

I read a thread on here some time back that stated that muzle breaks on shotguns are not that effective because the pressure is already falling off by the time it gets to the end of the barrell. Which is why many competitive shooters use the mid barrell compensators and swear by them. I read a lot before buying the CSS Molot style break, it does make a noticeable difference. I can not give a comparison since I have not tried a mid barrel compensator. I will say that I did expect a bit more recoil reduction then it actually gives. But I am able to rip off a string of shots as fast as I can pull the trigger and keep them all in a 5-6" pattern at 25 feet. Without the brake they were all over a Bin Laden target due to muzzle rise so over all I am very happy with it.

[attachment=71707:Saiga 12 complete 011.JP

I will answer the question because more people including the OP may eventually be interested in a FSB with the Molot style brake. After attaching mine I found it was 1 1/2 inch in diameter where it fit on the barrel. I then found a pic of one installed with the Dinzag sight which looked miniature next to the the Molot brake, So I machined my own FSB to match it. So my advice is to not use an FSB with the Molot style brake unless you can machine one yourself!

Thanks, helpful guy.

I will answer the question because more people including the OP may eventually be interested in a FSB with the Molot style brake. After attaching mine I found it was 1 1/2 inch in diameter where it fit on the barrel. I then found a pic of one installed with the Dinzag sight which looked miniature next to the the Molot brake, So I machined my own FSB to match it. So my advice is to not use an FSB with the Molot style brake unless you can machine one yourself!

So you are condoning other users to hijack threads instead of simply using the SEARCH function. Good job buddy. There are probably half a dozen pics/threads floating around of what "Saiga" requested. Since you all have turned this into a FSB/brake thread I might as well contribute. Here you guys go. Use the search function and I am sure you can find more..........

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/80014-k-pup-gk-01-cut-and-perm-sight-option-could-this-work/?hl=%2Bgk-01+%2Bfront+%2Bsight

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/13312-picture-post-lets-see-your-saiga-12/page-33?hl=%2Bgk-01+%2Bfront+%2Bsight&do=findComment&comment=768389

Beautiful machining work on that FSB!

• Like 1

By my "contributing to this hyjacking" it also bumped YOUR thread back to the top of the list where others will see it and possibly give YOU some more info on the comparison between compensators. Now I just bumped YOUR thread back to the top of the list AGAIN............ Your Welcome!