question about aluminum barrel shroud

I recently converted my saiga, and it has the aluminum barrel shroud that resembles a silencer. My concern is that if someone sees it, they will think it is actually a sound surpressor / silencer, and call the police.

Or, possibly if the police did see it, they would assume that is what it was, and arrest me, even if I explained what it was to them.

Does my fear have any basis in reality? Do you think that it is possible?

thanks in advance!

I would kindly tell said officer to eat my ass.

Or... You could fire a round at him/her to prove it's not silenced.

LOL... well I don't think that would go over too well.. maybe I'm just being paranoid, but that is what America is like these days now... especially how gun owners are being so demonized in the media now.

My experience is that many LEOs are ignorant to gun laws. They more or less make them up as they go, depending on their mood. As long as you are not giving them a reason to bother you, they will leave you alone. If stopped in your vehicle, inform them you have a firearm in the car, but that is by no means saying you have to give them consent to search you or your vehicle. If they feel uncomfortable, they have to ask you to exit your vehicle. You might photo copy some info on the shroud, and carry it with you so the uninformed can be educated with minimum hassle for you.

• Like 1

Odds are pretty good that if you're just out and about, walking the dog, buying an ice cream, or going to the store, and you have your S12 with you, people are going to call the cops no matter what barrel shroud you have.

In any realistic scenario where you are handling your gun (like shooting it at a place where people typically shoot guns), it would be VERY obvious that it isn't suppressed.

I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1
My experience is that many LEOs are ignorant to gun laws. They more or less make them up as they go, depending on their mood. As long as you are not giving them a reason to bother you, they will leave you alone. If stopped in your vehicle, inform them you have a firearm in the car, but that is by no means saying you have to give them consent to search you or your vehicle. If they feel uncomfortable, they have to ask you to exit your vehicle. You might photo copy some info on the shroud, and carry it with you so the uninformed can be educated with minimum hassle for you.

That is a good idea, I think I will do that to be safe, thanks... its just so annoying that I would even have to worry about this at all.

Were you planning on parading yourself around town with your S12? Cops hang outside your local range do they? I think a simple examination of a barrel shroud anyone would be able to tell there are no dampening features...

Yeah I mean logically you are right.. but LEOs aren't always logical. Yes, cops do hang out at the range I go to... and so does border patrol. They don't have their own firing range so they go to our local one...