Well it was opening day here in Michigan today. The next two weeks is the great deer hunt. As predictable as can be the temp. dropped and it rained and I mean rained in Grand Rapids all day. All in all, a fuggin miserable day out there for those so inclined. Right now the wind is blowing in gusts up to 50-60 mph. A cold front is headed through coming off Lake Michigan. Tomorrow it's going to snow according to the weatherman. Same for the next five days. So as long as it is not a wet sloppy snow we should stay dry and soon be able to track the beasts as it accumulates. I'm going to try my luck with the new Socom M1A .308 this year......using the friggin irons.

Best of luck to those of you doing likewise. Stay warm, dry, and safe. Stay away from the bottle until the hunt is over for the day. Wear your orange attire. Be damn certain of your target and keep your head down. Oh yeah, and enjoy yourselves whether you kill the beasts or not. :super::super:

Wolverine

Good luck ya'll. Man you guys have short seasons up there. My buddy is heading up to Buffalo NY for his annual hunting week and his mom said they're gonna get snowed on too, as usual. Who's gonna be the first one to post a pic of their 1st prize buck with a Saiga? I'll be spending some time in the woods this week too.

I checked out my S12 today with a scope on it... Winchester 3" magnum SuperX slugs...

The last three shots at 50M were in the same hole dead nuts centered...

If I get one with my Mossberg, I will probably try out the S12 as a backup gun...

Good luck to all.. and be SAFE!

:smoke:

Good luck ya'll. Man you guys have short seasons up there. My buddy is heading up to Buffalo NY for his annual hunting week and his mom said they're gonna get snowed on too, as usual. Who's gonna be the first one to post a pic of their 1st prize buck with a Saiga? I'll be spending some time in the woods this week too.

Yep, gun season is pretty short (Nov. 15-30) in Michigan. However, the DNR estimates that 450,000 deer will be taken in that period by twice as many hunters. Also, bow hunting precedes and follows the gun season if you are deer crazy so there is more than one way to get one. Black powder too. All in all, deer hunting is a big contributor to the ailing economy given the exodus of manufacturing due to relocation in right to work states and many, many imports.

Wolverine

Opening day, Nov. 5th, 60's, sunny, no wind/ last friday, Nov 11, 63 degrees, sunny, morning hunt, afternoon motorcycle ride/Today??? Nov 16, 5 DEGREES, -30 WIND CHILL, 40 MPH GUSTS, 6'' of snow last night, sun? WTF is sun? Three week season here though and lots of management tags available hopefully it warms up a bit. Love to hunt but I also like not freezing my balls off in the process. Gotta love Minnesota weather!!! Madtdog knows what I'm talking about.

We got from Oct 1 - Nov 14 for bow, Nov 15 - 30 for rifle/shotgun, Dec 2 - 18 for muzzleloader & then Dec 19 - Jan 1st for late firearm antlerless. Not too bad - I don't know why Dec 1st is an off day.

If we push some swamps this weekend I'll have the S-20 so maybe we'll get a pic afterall. Can't beat a short-barreled autoloader in the swamps! Actually the 762 or 223 would work too, but I don't have any 5 round mags for 'em yet.

Good Luck everyone! :smoke:

edited for poor typing...

Edited by dinzag

Yeah, I seen that on the 7.62's...unforturnately I cut the mag catch on that one. Otherwise it looks like a quick bandsaw job. The .223 is stock, but doesn't have that rib. I'll probably make a mag stop or block for it someday.

That's good info I haven't heard on the site...

Also you have mail on the way ;)

I got it the 28th - will do some work on 'er & see what we get. :smoke:

Back to the original topic...

I bagged a 13" 8 point last night with the S-20!!! Wahoo! Fresh conversion...fresh kill!! :killer: I've got my buddy coming over tonight with his digicam & I'll get some pics up. Nice neck shot - dropped on the spot - about 50 yards out. :smoke: Cobra - yer project may get bumped a little now :cryss: - I've got 3 to cut up & process now. I'm sure you won't mind... :smoke:

edited to add:

O.K. my buddy stopped by there this morning & snapped a few & emailed 'em to me. I'll get some pics with the gun tonight. I dunno about getting him down & posing since he's kinda stiff, but I'll see what we can do. Pardon my father-in-law's messy barn...

post-2093-1133363169_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1133363179_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1133363271_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1133363280_thumb.jpg

:smoke::killer:

Edited by dinzag