Few Questions about Mak 90's.

Looking to buy another Mak 90, I know its a bit late to be doing this. But My girl likes my Mak 90 and Her new PAP Yugo just didn't do it for her. The stock feels to long for her, Even thought it looks to be the same length. It also hits my cheak bone a bit. I know, New stock. LOL It needs broken in as well and it won't be sold either.

We just like the Mak 90 and want another. Seem there up to 1000 and alot more.

Few Q's that I have.

Mine is a pre 89 from what I was told and has a collar brazed over what looks to be threads. Not talking the fine turns in the rest, It lookes threaded under there. Also it has a Shinny Carrier and not that gray looking one that most have. My SKS from back then did as well. Seemed a year later the Carrier's looked all gry.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=327974730 This guy said he polished the carrier a bit, But this is what mine looks like. Littel les shine though.LOL

What is the different with the two Carriers and whats your thought on the threads?

Is it fine with the Thumb hole or does it need to be 922ed?

Hope to hear from some of you Mak 90 guys. Stryker

Ps, I can get some pics and info off the gun if that helps any. Thanks again.

Edited by Stryker100

My MAK90 does NOT have a collar brazed over threads the barrel is just plain jane with NO bayonet lug, the carrier is stainless steel but was dull sort of grey looking,I did polish it an almost chrome like finish. All of them I have seen (it has been a few years) looked the same as mine so I think they all have stainless steel carriers. The Chinese did use corrosive ammo so this would be necessary along with the chrome lined barrel to prevent rust. I also have NOT seen one with the collar brazed over threads but that is not to say they did not make any, I would assume those would have been the first ones after the ban. If you want to LEGALLY use high capacity mags you definately want to make it 922R compliant. If you get one with a #^@&!%* slant cut receiver your only real stock options are the fugly ATI fibreforce stock, Ironwood designs stock which are very nice but they start at $179 for an unfinished stock. I have also read that the slant cut receivers were for an underfolder but the did not install the trunion or cut the holes for it. Good luck hopefully you can find a "deal" on one

How am I suppost to get 5 parts on a Mak 90? I was reading that the Triggers are good in the Maks, I sure like it. My mags are all East German, So I can't count any parts there.

Hopfully Montana will step away from the Feds and there Laws. cool.png

Help me with a parts list guys. Stock, Grip, If there is threads on it, Can I take the collar off and get a break or something? How about the for grip?

Pics would be nice if anyone has some. Thanks Stryker

How am I suppost to get 5 parts on a Mak 90? I was reading that the Triggers are good in the Maks, I sure like it. My mags are all East German, So I can't count any parts there.

if you don't want to change out the trigger group, then the easiest solution to get the 5 parts, buy TAPCO AKM magazines, that gives you 3 US parts - body, follower, floorplate, US pistol grip- 1 US part, US buttstock - 1 US part.

there is your 5.

and yes, there is a pistol grip screw with the nut already on there.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

O.K. then butt stock, pistol grip, and fore grip, gas piston, and US floor plates on your german mags should also give you the 5 parts needed. For what its worth I did change the FCG to tapco in mine and it feels O.K. to me.

• Like 1

I'll have to look into new triggers. What about a break? Would that be leagle on it? There is a reason that they put a collar over it.

So, Are all these Mak 90s with 30rd mags in them. On gun broker Illegal?

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/SearchResults.aspx?View=0&Country=&CountryQualifier=0&Cat=0&Keywords=norinco+mak+90&Sort=5&Page=0

I'm not gonna buy another one if I have to spend 300 bucks to make it legal. I have about 3 dozen 30 rd mags for My AK's.

922r needs repealed, This is flipping lame. Stryker

It's a Defence Rifle, Last thing I want to do. Is take the relability out of it. LOL I wouldn't run a Tapco mag, Even at the range. 4

it's blindly apparent that you don't know what you are talking about,. even though TAPCO is a commercially made mag, they are highly reliable. I have had zero issues with mine, I would say they are equal to the foreign made mags for reliability

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Sorry, I was thinking Pro Mag. But all the same, I have a grand worth of what is arguably the best mag out there. Only thing Tapco I have seen, was the Grip I orderd for the womans S12 I ordered 4 different ones. So she could see what one she liked the most. The grip felt alright, But that thing on the bottom made me laugh so hard, I threw it away. HAHAHAHA

Edited by Stryker100

Pistol grip 1

Stock 1

Hand guards 1

Piston 1

mag follower 1

Floor plate 1

Muzzle end 1

There's 7. I agree about the Crapco and ProMags. If they didn't come from a country that fielded the AK I won't buy em. Having said that you can use US made floor plates to add a comp part. Just pick a quality one.

• Like 2

If its a Mak 90 then it is not a pre 89 gun, it could have been caught in customs during the transition but it would still require the 922r parts. The first 2 numbers is usually the year it was imported, but some of the early maks are missing them.

I have a Tapco G2 in all my AK's including an Arsenal SGL 21(the arsenal trigger felt horrible to me).I couldn't tell much of a difference between the Chinese trigger and a Tapco G2 after installing it on my MAK90. The beauty of the FCG is that it counts as 3 parts. . On my MAK90 I run the G2 FCG(3 US parts), a Hogue pistol grip(1), and a muzzle brake(1)=5. I run Blonde Chinese hand guards and a blond chinese buttstock and still have enough US parts. Unless I'm doing the math wrong, but as far as I know no one has evar been convicted of not being 922 compliant.

Edited by im_n2_vws

You are right SO FAR no one has been convicted of 922R violations except maybe a felon who comitted a crime with the gun in violation. BUT under the current circumstances it has been the general consensus that it would be wise to be in complete compliance. by the way im_n2_vws ...Im_n2_vws_2 nice bug is that about a 76, I had to sell my baja a couple of years ago but still have my sand rail. Back to the topic the MAK 90 might not be the best AK but I had NO problems with mine except finding a good stock since it has the $%#@ slant cut receiver....SO I made one

You are right SO FAR no one has been convicted of 922R violations except maybe a felon who comitted a crime with the gun in violation. BUT under the current circumstances it has been the general consensus that it would be wise to be in complete compliance. by the way im_n2_vws ...Im_n2_vws_2 nice bug is that about a 76, I had to sell my baja a couple of years ago but still have my sand rail. Back to the topic the MAK 90 might not be the best AK but I had NO problems with mine except finding a good stock since it has the $%#@ slant cut receiver....SO I made one

It's a 68. Yea, you are right in the current climant in this country. And the anti-gun media, adding fuel to the fire with headlines like In Boston "Large capacity machine gun feeding devices found in OUI vehicle" .Nobody wants to add more fuel to the fire, and be the first guy who gets convicted of 922 compliance issuse.

I'll just keep the 30rd mags out of it. I have no money to convert it as I bout a new truck. HEHEHEHEHE

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6049759

Lurking for an M1A now, You know to go with the Army Truck!!! I bid 500 on 10-20rd mags and that went a bit higher. I did by my first SF mag for 50 bucks. I just nee another 11 and that Rifle. Stryker

What is the mag limit on a Mak 90 that isnt 922r compliant?

922r compliance is a necessity, so with an non-compliant gun you legally shouldn't be inserting any mags. Inserting standard 30 round mags is fine with a stock configuration MAK, they were actually imported with them. It just has to stay in sporter configuration to use them and not qualify for 922r.

And just to make this clear. 922r is a law for the manufacture of non-sporting purposes semi-auto guns being imported in. So if you have a MAK that is still in sporter configuration, shoot the hell out of 30 round mags, drums or whatever the hell you get your hands on. 922r is only an issue if you choose to swap parts or go to a non-sporter configuration, because the rifle is imported. SO, your biggest problem, if you choose to take up the challenge, is going 922r compliant once you put a PG on it (which makes it a semi-auto rifle and not a semi-auto sporting rifle). If you aren't going PG, just keep everything on it stock, the quality of their parts are damn good

Here is the legislation so everyone can understand it:

"18 U.S.C. § 922®

It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to -

(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General."

Edited by VR6Shooter

So as long as I leave my thumbhole stock in her.....I can use 75 round drum or whatever I want?

I like the thumbhole, being that I have a reg stock on my saiga

Also, if anyone knows.....I have some very fine threads on the outside of the barrel...... Can these threads be used for anything?

I was told that they usually didnt have threads

post-22193-0-01036900-1362058391_thumb.jpg

Yes as long as you haven't changed out any parts from the factory, you can use drums. Some actually had drums shipped with them and dealers were taking them out and selling seperately (so I have read on the net). The threads you are refering to are just machining marks from when they made the barrel, they can not be made to fit anything. If the barrel was threaded from the factory, it would have a barrel nut on the end, threads were ruled non-sporting so they had to weld on or pin a nut to import

Someone may have already removed his cover over the threads. Unless he is the original owner. Mine had a cover threaded over the the threads and was tack welded in place, I removed the 2 tack welds and removed the collar, it had the detent to hold the muzzle brake on too.

Someone may have already removed his cover over the threads. Unless he is the original owner. Mine had a cover threaded over the the threads and was tack welded in place, I removed the 2 tack welds and removed the collar, it had the detent to hold the muzzle brake on too.

This is what they did with a large number of the Norincos that came in at the time of the 89 ban. They threw together a way to make them sporting and put them on the shelves. Although it is possible it has factory threads, I would guess it is the machining marks for the barrel. A lot of people confuse the two. Since SP described them as "very fine" I'm gonna go with they are just the manufacturing marks. I'll post a close pic of my barrel tomorrow, so he can compare

Edited by VR6Shooter

^ yep. Probably an original military or pre-ban barrel which was threaded, and then was machined down to remove the threads. This was usually a hasty operation and you'll see the spiral tooling marks on the muzzle. Sometimes they have enough meat left to be threaded to 1/2x28, at which point you can use one or more 1/2x28 AK style muzzle devices from CNC Warrior. Hard to tell if it has a detent pin in your picture. Without one, you'll need to use a crush washer of some sort to properly keep the muzzle device from spinning loose. It will also make it difficult to use directional muzzle devices such as a slant brake, since these are designed to be secured in a specific orientation by the detent plunger pin. The pin and spring can usually be added. You either remove the front pin on the FSB, or there won't be one there at all. Install the spring, detent plunger pin, and reinstall the front FSB pin.

Edited by mancat

OK, wife stole the camera so I couldn't get a very high resolution picture, but if your "threads" look like this, they are just machine marks:

post-38885-0-07211100-1362174061_thumb.jpg

Also, just wanted to let you know SP, your milled is real good looking from the picture you posted above. If I were you, I'd go IWD and make it 922r just to have a nice milled AK. I've been hunting for years for a milled MAK/NHM-91 to do similar with, but MAKs/NHMs aren't easy to come by around these parts, let alone milled

Edited by VR6Shooter

Yeah....just machine marks

I got an extra set of furniture with it also

In PA you cant hunt with semi auto rifles.....in fact my area is shotgun only for deer

Only dumped a mag from it since the purchase....just to verify function

It shot flawlessly

the barrel is hammer forged as a blank, then machined to the proper profile/stepping. Chinese AK/SKS tooling marks are usually fairly large compared to what you see with modern barrel profile tooling, so they do sort of end up looking like threads.

I have contemplated seeing if the 14x1 LH threads could be pulled out of the remaining barrel width there. It looks like it has plenty of beef to it when I place the Egyptian parts kits brake on the end, not sure of a measurement though as my calipers have been MIA since like October

Edited by VR6Shooter