09 saiga 7.62x39 - 6 Questions

It's my first post so I thought I would make it a good one. i just picked up a saiga 7.62x39, manufacture date 09'. I have read alot so i'll try not to ask to many stupid questions. The chamber does not have a "step" and the barrel has the groves cut into the sides, making me believe it has a threaded factory muzzle. 1st question is: What lower hand guard retainer do you guys recommend? ( will not be removing gas block). I heard some are better than others. 2nd question is: What is this long uneven pin through gas block for, and should i just cut it off or replace it? ( i guess that really doesn't matter). 3rd question: What's the best way to scrub the match striker? 4th question: Do I have to use those gay plastic plugs to cover up pin holes from old FCG, or are there better options out there? 5th question: Is it common to have a heavy grind mark on left side of gas block. I think i have seen these on other saigas before, or was the russian drunk. 6th question: All i can find is a east german ak74 gas tube, will that tube work? This is my first conversion and I want to do it right.

100_7025_zpsff2e7f5f.jpg

100_7033_zps92c58973.jpg

100_6983_zpsac2d0725.jpg

100_6985_zps8ba2b364.jpg

100_7041_zps314845db.jpg

Only way to tell if your muzzle is threaded is to either cut off the FSB forward collar, or see if you can see the start of LH threads on the exposed portion of muzzle. IF you want to thread the muzzle, you have to cut off the FSB collar any way.

1. I used to have a Dinzag bolt-on handguard retainer. It worked fine. I eventually removed both the GB/FSB and installed a standard retainer.

2. The pin through the GB is the anchor for the sporter handguard. Did your rifle not come with handguards? If it did, this would've been hard to miss.

3. You can fill the match striker with any sort of filling compound - JB Weld, filling primer, etc. You will have to bring down some of the raised areas first using a file, as the high points are higher than the surrounding surface of the receiver. Look at it sideways in the light and you'll see what I mean. After covering up, you can touch up paint with Duplicolor #DE1634 - this is a near exact match to the factory paint.

4. You can weld up the holes, put rivets in them (even pop rivets), or fill them with something like JB Weld, using a piece of tape inside the receiver as a temporary backing. Some people laugh at this idea, but it's worked fine for me.

5. Yes, the "grind mark" on the left side of the gas block is common for almost all AKs. It's a relief cutout for the flip-up launcher sight of the GP-25/30 grenade launcher.

6. The AK-74 tube is actually the correct tube for a Saiga AK-100 series rifle. This tube should have a spring-loaded self adjustment mechanism (should require zero hand fitment), as well as a relief cutout for the lower handguard retainer, which is actually useful with the large-bodied CSS/Dinzag bolt-on retainer.

get a chaos 762x39 quad rail it has a bolt on lower hand gaurd retainer with it. get the ak-47 gas tube from ak-builder.com and the "homo sexual" hole plugs as u call them are great and can be found at most hardware stores and will most likly be the smallest ones they have. i doubt your muzzle is threaded because i converted and had to thread about 15 2009 saiga models. i believe that feat is very rare. but dont fret the threading is very easy to do and if you are any where in northern cali you can get a hold of me..

I forgot to mention that the ak-47 gas tube from ak-builder will need minor fitting. i took a little bit too much material off mine and now the tube has a tiny bit of play to it but in my opinion i would rather have it be too loose than too tight. somewhere i read that a gas tube that was too tight could hinder accuracy a bit by causing vertical stringing.

If you can't tell that your muzzle is threaded, it likely isn't All the threaded ones I have seen you can tell by looking. Best way to deal with the "match striker" is to sand it lightly to remove high points from the stippling, then fill with 2k primer surfacer, any brand will work. If you can't weld up the side holes the plastic plugs are the best thing you will find. The gas block pin is for retaining the factory handguard, if you are using a bolt on handguard retainer, you can just cut the pin off flush with gas block.

AK-74 tube is technically the correct tube for a Saiga if you're going to go to a standard handguard setup. AK-74/AK-100 series use the same type of gas tube, and the Saiga is an AK-100 series rifle. It should require minimal fitting, or none at all - '74 tube is designed to self-tension.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1