I think I'm in Love

Rick-16,

Wow, the pictures you have posted of your Galil conversion are the EXACT direction I want to go with my Saiga .308 (except for the 4-stock and the lack of a bi-pod and the scope mount and scope and the color. But other than that, that is EXACTLY what I want).

Can you give a stock Saiga owner some sage advice on who to contact or where to go to get the same treatment, other than the affore mentioned exceptions, done to my own .308? I am willing to pay, trade, or hock my child for some help on putting a bute like that together.

CheatTheDevil :bag:

post-2465-1132364603_thumb.jpg

Edited by CheatTheDevil

There should be enough combined info posted for the average guy to do it himself. But if you absolutely must have it done for you, there are several smiths who frequent the forum who will be glad to offer thier services. I think Tony Rumore is the only Gunsmith who accepts children in payment for his services at the moment. But I would check with Rick16, he might be willing to take one too.

Man, thats a long barrel! :eek:

the P-Grip mod looks like more than I would like to do at home. I could do it if I brought tools from work, but I would like someone with a few mods under their belt to do the work before I mod the only rifle I own and face the possibilty of screwing up the rifle I love. My goal is to kill hogs at 600 yds. Am I crazy?

Do I just need to save the $$ for a G3 or FAL?

I realy Love my SAIGA, I want it to kickass on my friend's .308's. (G3's and FAL's)

let me know,

al:blues:

post-2465-1132471187_thumb.jpg

Man I can't help ya with the 600 yd question because I don't have a .308 yet but I can say this. The .308 looks like the easiest Saiga there is to convert because you don't even have to drill out the old fcg pins and fill in the ugly holes left behind. If you can operate a screwdriver, a file, a dremel, and a tape measure and you can cut a 1/2"square hole in a piece of thin steel you can do the conversion. In fact I think I have heard of some others who used the Tapco SAW grip for their conversions not even cutting a hole for the PG nut because you don't really need one with that kind of grip. They just used the original trigger hole for the small bolt that ciomes with it and put a washer and nut on the other side. Don't be afraid. Go the conventional way. I wish you lived near me. I would do it for you. Just get some scrap sheet metal about the same thickness as your reciever and drill four 1/8" holes in it with the outside edges of these holes being even with the outside corners of a 1/2" square. Then just use a dremel and cutoff wheel to cut out the lines between the holes. File the corners square with a small triangular file and your done. If you can do this with a piece of scrap without "screwing it up" then you can do the conversion. It's simple as that. There are plenty of step by step instructions available here as well as people to help if you get in a jam. I have seen a PG nut hole cut in a member's reciever by the guy at so called "Elite" Firearms where a lot of people send their's to be done and believe me, you can do a much better job yourself! Not to mention save a lot of money. I'm sure Dave at Elite does other good work like finishing the bare metal maybe, and realizes that the hole doesn't have to look pretty because it's hidden by the PG anyway, but if was in his business I would do a much better job of cutting the hole at least. My point is it's pretty hard to "scew up" an AK. Good luck.

I have heard of the AK platformed rifle shooting incredable yardage before, but at that distance, generally you shoot alot and move the little dust cloud toward the intended target.

First of all, you are not going to clean kill an animal the size of a German Shepard from 600 yards away with any semi auto rifle. (Maybe an auto loading .50 bmg...I dunno) If you can, I would love to see the video. I will be very impressed. In fact, so would my wife. She may give you a call :wub:

AK variants are notoriously less than accurate. I can hit a quarter at 100 yards with my Saiga 7.62x39, (scoped@9x) but it takes me about three shots. (Depending on how warm the rifle is) And I am delighted with this. The Saiga is very accurate for an AK, but I would not expect a match grade rifle performance from it. Besides, I dont know how good your eyes are, but I cant even see a target that size at more than 300 yards.

I would recommend useing one of these for an inexpensive long ranger.

post-1374-1132526644_thumb.jpg

post-1374-1132526654_thumb.jpg

600 feet would be a stretch. 600 yards is super sniper territory. For a semi a Garrand would be marginally usefull-but only to a trained sniper. Those shots are not for average shooters. A heavy magnum bolt gun in a small bore-6.5mm to 30 cal. would be a much better choice. I bought the Saiga .308 as the perfect rifle for 100-300 yard shots on mammals of 300lb. or less.

Alyways use the right tool for the job!

G O B

If you want to do hogs at 600, get out and practice at that range with the ammo you want to hunt with. When you can hit a paper plate repeatedly at 600, go hunting.

Until then, hunt out to whatever range you can keep all your shots on that plate.

It's just going to take a LOT of practice. But it IS within the realm of the possible. And didn't you buy your Saiga to practice alot with? Don't give up on your dream, and don't waste that hog meat when you connect. Good Luck!

You know, I figured 600 yards would be a maximum distance. . . it's hard to get 'em to walk out at exact intervals.

well. . . I suppose I need to get that 24" 7mm mag I've been looking at. I still need lots of practise with the Saiga though, you know, for the zombies.

al

Edited by CheatTheDevil