Picked up a UTG quick detach mount for the side rail scope mount. $58 at the gun show today. It also sports a second rail, so I think the green laser is going there. It slides on from the rear forward, then flip the latch and you're golden.

Mount

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o660/Dewit2it/Saiga/IMG_2521_zps1bc4c12d.jpg

Mounted

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o660/Dewit2it/Saiga/IMG_2526_zps0f48b292.jpg

Once the bottom screw was adjusted the mount is solid. Just keep the screw tight. (recheck after a few mounts/dismounts) It's pretty much the same as the Russian mounts. The top rail is a V shape that will let you see the bead, but it is higher than the rear sight by about a 1-2 mm. So aim low if you try to use it.

Saw a Russian scope with a very similar mount for $280 just before I found this mount. So I had something to compare.

Edited by Capt Nemo

That mount actually looks to be pretty good. UTG has a mixed history of mostly heavy chintzy junk, but they do a few things right.

I'd take off the side rail for weight personally, but that's just me. I want to know how it works out.

I stayed away from UTG because of the hate. Have several of their products now, and never had a problem. They are cost effective, allowing me to spend more money on ammo.

Excellent! That's keeping your eye on the target.

• Like 1

I think it still pays to look at each product critically. They are a good buy for scope rings, but so far most of their quad rail type things are very heavy and crude. Their flip up sights are known to rattle apart for several models...

Before I knew much better, I bought a very heavy UTG barrel clamp rail to mount a light or laser. Not only did it look bad, it was absurdly heavy for such a simple component, and no matter how tight I did the allen screws, it would shift under recoil.

Just bought my sight today. It's a Sightmark Sureshot reflex sight. It has 4 choices of retical, from circle crosshair, dot, crosshair, and dot circle.

IMG_2540_zpsd37b703f.jpg

Dot circle reticle.

IMG_2543_zps0c66e72c.jpg

New Question: Is that holographic sight in any way sturdy? It looks to me a little light. I know, money talks, but knowing my clumsy ass, I'd destroy it before I used it.

I have an EOTech 812 on my AR M&P-15, and love it, though it takes up a lot of real estate. I'd love to move to something with less of a footprint, and was thinking to try a new sight on my Saiga as a way of testing the waters. I'd definitely consider the sightmark you have, but from what I see it looks pretty fragile to me.

I know, I can read and see reviews galore, but I like to ask people who have some level of reputation to me personally, so I am asking here.

Is it sturdy? Think you could drop it without breaking? Bang it on a wall at 3 in the morning while moving to shoot intruders?

I'd rather have the EOTech, but I ain't got the bucks. I was looking at a Tru Glow scope type, but I ran into a guy that had problems with it being bright enough on sunny days. The Sightmark uses a laser like the EOTech, and is pretty damn bright at full output. This one's cheap at $44.99, and doesn't block out much, which is good for hunting. I'd want to be at least somewhat careful of it, and not bang it much, which is another reason I went with the QD UTG mount.

I want to keep the second rail for a green laser. I had one of the LS-45 HeNe's when they first came out. Bagged 2 perps with it on my Mini-14 when they tried stealing the camo net off my duck blind. Came out the front door, turned on the laser and yelled "FREEZE!", and those boys shit their pants on the spot! Cops picked them up from the kneeling leg crossed, hands behind the head position, and then found a pipe! 10 oz subdivided bag o green in the glove compartment, and multiple cut off depthfinders and other marine hardware found in the trunk in addition to my camo net. A laser is a good thing to have on a HD gun, as they KNOW they're dead meat if they continue!

We'll see what happens tomorrow when I sight it in.