OK, this thing's wierd

I just dont get it. My .308 shoots awesome with Wolf 150gr FMJ, but is crappy with anything brass cased. I have had good results with Portugese and fair with aussie, but with Wolf today I put 5 shots in a 7/8" group at 100 yards +- .

:eek: Let me get this straight, you are BITCHING about your gun shooting sub-MOA with the cheapest commercial ammo available? QUIT YER BITCHIN AND GET BACK TO SHOOTIN! :lolol::super:

Edited by SKS_madman

danny boy,

Just a wild ass guess but could it be the difference between aged mil. spec ammo and current commercial "field grade" ammo? Different bullet shapes, weights and powders are involved. Also mil spec in .308 has a heavy duty primer unlike Wolf. Springfield advises against using standard commercial ammo in the M1A because the firearm may prematurely discharge (slam fire) just by racking a commercial .308 hunting or target round and letting the charging handle fly forward as designed. It can and has been done without incident but it is a calculated risk based on rifle design.

As powder ages its' properties can change. This can cause hangfires, misfires, low pressure, etc.

Since the Mil. spec ammo could have been manufactured in different factories at different times consistency may be more of an issue than with Wolf. For instance there is "aussie" ammo that was contracted out to Argentina for manufacture. Some linked Port. .308 is known to have case neck issues. Just as there has been serious issues with Indian and even some (certain years and lots of) Israeli .308 NATO mil. spec ammo.

While the Saiga is a great rifle in (AK) design and for the price, I am not certain the S- .308 was designed for a steady diet of (dated and varying) NATO mil spec ammo. :unsure:

EDIT: My point is there is more variation in .308 NATO ammo than one might think thereby impacting overall consistency and accuracy. To the degree that Wolf is produced and used consistently it is more likely to result in consistent performance/accuracy.

Wolverine

AWESOME SHOOTIN!!!!!!!! Saiga & Wolf ammo what a match. On another forum there was a guy who is hitting gongs at 400+yds with his 16" barreled Saiga/308 too. So i don't doubt your 7/8" groups and out of a $300 rifle. All i can say is why buy anything else but a Saiga? Like i said before its the hottest buy on the planet since the very first chinese sks was imported here. I think the more expensive semi-auto rifles better beware there's a new kid on the block and its kicking butt. Thanks for the great news!!!!!!!!! :super:

BTW; I'm sure with its chromed lined barrel and chamber it will digest any nato ammo you run thru your saiga. I have been shooting the south african 308nato ammo with great results and a steady diet of surplus ammo shouldn't be a problem. I have no fear of ever wearing out my Saiga. Just moly up the reciever and let it rip. It sounds like i better get some wolf 308 ammo too.

Edited by Unknown Poster
AWESOME SHOOTIN!!!!!!!! Saiga & Wolf ammo what a match. On another forum there was a guy who is hitting gongs at 400+yds with his 16" barreled Saiga/308 too. So i don't doubt your 7/8" groups and out of a $300 rifle. All i can say is why buy anything else but a Saiga? Like i said before its the hottest buy on the planet since the very first chinese sks was imported here. I think the more expensive semi-auto rifles better beware there's a new kid on the block and its kicking butt. Thanks for the great news!!!!!!!!! :super:

BTW; I'm sure with its chromed lined barrel and chamber it will digest any nato ammo you run thru your saiga. I have been shooting the south african 308nato ammo with great results and a steady diet of surplus ammo shouldn't be a problem. I have no fear of ever wearing out my Saiga. Just moly up the reciever and let it rip.

Unknown Poster,

Are you getting consistent results or performance with the SA ammo? And are you running the 1970's or 1980's stuff? Where you buying? Thanks.

Wolverine

Russian ammo in a Russian gun. Makes sense to me. The factory probably uses Wolf for testing and made the gun to fit the Russian specs. My 16 inch 308-1 shoots the Silver Bear quite well so try that too. I have some South African ammo but havent tested it seriously yet. Seems to shoot about 2 inches at 100 but only tried it with iron sights.

Edited by ironhead7544
I got my South African FMJ 308 nato ammo from Aim Surplus.

Unknown Poster,

OK. Thanks. It seems that the SA is the most abundant Mil Surplus ammo these days. Aussie and Port is gone. Indian is dangerous and you have to know exactly to to buy and avoid with Israeli .308. There is alot of Argentinian ammo out there but it has been exposed to humidity and much of it shows corrosion although it seems to shoot OK. Lake City stuff is pretty good and can be found but is alot more expensive. But SA is priced right and can be found a number of places.

Your SA comes in sealed battlepacks. I believe it is 1970's vintage. Is it clean and free of corrosion? Look new and shoot pretty consistently?

Wolverine

I have had the same outcomes with Wolf 7.62x39. With a lucky box, I can hit a quarter @ 100yards. The next box might get me 3" MOA. I dont mind this, because every single shot will get me at least 4" MOA if I do my part. I never have a dud round and I feel very safe and confident shooting Wolf.

You might also notice that when shooting Wolf ammo, one spent cartrige will eject 20 yards, the next might go ten feet, and out of 30, you may even get one that lands at your feet. My friends have commented on this with much humor in regards to the price I pay for a brick of 500 rounds at Cabela's.

Yes, Wolf ammo is inexpensive compared to Remmington and other top name brands. But in my honest opinion and after thousands of safe, trouble free rounds, I can honestly say that Wolf ammo, although it's not the most consistant ammo. Is definately manufactured with safety and quality in mind.

I know that bullet weight and powder measurements are critical to consistant groupings. This might have something (or everything) to do with the inconsistantcies in shooting Wolf. Im sure that the $10.00 box of Remmington brass cased ammo will get me tighter results. But Im not expecting that kind of accuracy from my AK. Its ok to tack drive on occasion at the target range. But what I want from my AK is 100% reliability and accuracy within a wider perameter. Wolf has given me this without exception and at a cost that allows me to practice frequently.

The accuracy of the ammo is irrevelant unless the accuracy of the shooter is up to the challenge!

Even if you find a great deal on Aussie or even Lake City--- Get lots and lots of wolf and let the smoke out of it! Get good with the cheap stuff, then sight in with the good stuff before hunting or competition.

A case in point, one of our members at last weeks deer rifle shoot was 6" low at 100yd. He had sighted in the week before with Portugese, and was shooting Lake City. 6" in 100yd. due to ammo alone. When he adjusted for the difference he was deadly accurate! I believe he took 2nd. place.

G O B

P.S. I shot a '38Nagant, was mid pack, but the fireballs from the Check silvertip got everyone's attention!

Edited by G O B

Even with brass cased commercial it averages 2moa at 100m. Believe me, I'm estatic with the results as this rifle will hang with my Romak3/ Czech silvertip combo.(well,almost)

Funny story about Lake City- I bought a case of 500. LC comes in a bag with mixed years/lot numbers. I wasn't excpecting great results, but I shot a total 20 rounds and ended up with 4 2-3" groupings. After I picked up the brass, I noticed I had shot 4 different years, with each year grouping together.

Even with brass cased commercial it averages 2moa at 100m. Believe me, I'm estatic with the results as this rifle will hang with my Romak3/ Czech silvertip combo.(well,almost)

Funny story about Lake City- I bought a case of 500. LC comes in a bag with mixed years/lot numbers. I wasn't excpecting great results, but I shot a total 20 rounds and ended up with 4 2-3" groupings. After I picked up the brass, I noticed I had shot 4 different years, with each year grouping together.

danny boy,

There may be an explanation for the Lake City performance. If you can believe AmmoMan's ad. he indicates the dates of the brass may vary but all of the components are assembled fresh and sold as the training ammo. Thus you are getting mil. spec. components, fresh powder and current production when buying the LC .308 stuff. Apparently the components come from dated but unfired ammo or "rejects" considered as seconds and not fit for our troops in combat. I'm sitting on 1,000 rounds of this stuff right now but want to use up 400-500 rounds of ammo from Argentina.

http://www.ammoman.com/webstore_308.htm

Wolverine :smoke:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my rifle shed blood for the first time last week. My Uncle took a 4 point with it. 150m with Winchester powerpoint 150gr SP. Little too much gun for deer, but it worked. He hit it in the shoulder with a downhill shot and put a dime sized hole in one side and what looked like a baseball sized one in the other. Its shoulder blade(?) exploded and minced it all up.

Well, my rifle shed blood for the first time last week. My Uncle took a 4 point with it. 150m with Winchester powerpoint 150gr SP. Little too much gun for deer, but it worked. He hit it in the shoulder with a downhill shot and put a dime sized hole in one side and what looked like a baseball sized one in the other. Its shoulder blade(?) exploded and minced it all up.

Well, that gives you some idea of the rounds' power and potential. I think the blow out was the result of the soft point doing its' job. I hope your Uncle offered to share since he took the deer with your .308.

The Saiga .308 is a nice gun for the money. The only issue is getting your hands on a few extra mags. That should change.....eventually.

Was your rifle scoped or did he take the deer with irons?

Wolverine

• 2 weeks later...

I had the 6x42 POSP on it. He gave me some jerkey.

Just to prove it wasnt a fluke, I made a range trip yesterday and the rifle gave me a repeat performance. As an added bonus, I managed a best 5 shot group of 4" at 200m.

I also took my S.223 and with open sights it shot as well as my friends AR with both of us using Lake City surplus- both 40 of 40 in the 18" circle on the silouette targets.

It was 28F, light breeze and sunny. Fortunately for us we have a few burn barrels and a bunch of wood there for the winter months.

Oh, BTW, I offered my gun to my uncle because with the ATi stock and the POSP it weighs probably ten pounds. He has his own guns, but always wants to use one of mine, so instead of getting to use my scoped SKS like last year, I figured I'd wear his ass out this year and make him carry a heavy one.