Diameter of barrel at RSB journal

Guys, could somebody do me a favor and accurately measure the barrel journal where the rear sight block is. Im trying to get measurements to Fred at Sabrewerks 13 to see if theyre K.O.P. system will work on the Saiga and if not, if he could make one to fit.

I dont an S308 yet, as the prices are still too prohibitive right now due to this friggin ban panic and people asking $1000 plus for a gun that is worth around $650 in its standard configuration. Dang, should have kept the two I had previously, some few years back, a 21.8" and a 16".

Here is a link to there homepage showing the system and the different optic platforms to fit. It does require the removal of all barrel components in order to press the KOP rear sight block into place. It is not a permanent modification as the KOP system installs using the original pin location, and can easily be reversed to the original if desired.

http://sabrewerks.com/system.htm

I like this idea. I was thinking about mounting an RMR myself at the rear sight. I was going to mill it down and weld the mounting plate there. I was going to do this and use the HK sights. And try to either come up with a gas tube charging system or a left side charging handle that wouldn't move while firing and fold. Any way I've only got one .308 and it's in a wood outfit and looks like a classic ak, I like it like that, but want a more modern ak with the HK sights and RMR red dot and different charging handle.

Well. weve got some conflicting info. Pooling said .882 and bunker has .887. Thats way to much variance, so one has to be measuring at the wrong place on the barrel. If Bunker's measurement is correct, then the KOP system will work, as it falls in the .886-.888 range.

That was from notes I jotted down while was tearing it down for the threading...i made a mistake apparently. I just checked it with a cheapo harbor frieght digital caliper, then for good measure my starret micrometer, the HF cheapo said .886" and the starret said .888"

Sorry for any confusion.

• Like 1

Thanks man. I just ordered a 308 from KVAR, so I hope I get the same measurments on mine. If so, I think I will be adding the KOP system, shortening the barrel to 18, threading for 5/8x24, moving the front sight back, and adding a bonesteel arms AR buffer tube stock with magpul CTR. Should make for a good DMR.

it should be in the same ballpark as ours. although there is alot of variance from rifle to rifle . ive seen 7.62 aks anywhere from .9050 to .911 at the journal, make sure you use a good set of mics. to measure. and POST PICS im intrested in this set up. Happy shooting

Well. weve got some conflicting info. Pooling said .882 and bunker has .887. Thats way to much variance, so one has to be measuring at the wrong place on the barrel. If Bunker's measurement is correct, then the KOP system will work, as it falls in the .886-.888 range.

You seem to be assuming for some reason, that the Russians are consistent in the way they build these. The only measurements that matter are the ones from your rifle when you actually get it in hand.

I like this idea. I was thinking about mounting an RMR myself at the rear sight. I was going to mill it down and weld the mounting plate there. I was going to do this and use the HK sights. And try to either come up with a gas tube charging system or a left side charging handle that wouldn't move while firing and fold. Any way I've only got one .308 and it's in a wood outfit and looks like a classic ak, I like it like that, but want a more modern ak with the HK sights and RMR red dot and different charging handle.

Mounting an optic with 0x magnification is kind of a waste of the .308 cartridge.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Netpackrat" data-cid="873498" data-time="1362735286"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="sapper1371usmc" data-cid="873347" data-time="1362709247"><p>Well. weve got some conflicting info. Pooling said .882 and bunker has .887. Thats way to much variance, so one has to be measuring at the wrong place on the barrel. If Bunker's measurement is correct, then the KOP system will work, as it falls in the .886-.888 range.</p></blockquote>

<br />

You seem to be assuming for some reason, that the Russians are consistent in the way they build these. The only measurements that matter are the ones from your rifle when you actually get it in hand.<br />

<br />

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Ak Monty" data-cid="872953" data-time="1362637495"><p>I like this idea. I was thinking about mounting an RMR myself at the rear sight. I was going to mill it down and weld the mounting plate there. I was going to do this and use the HK sights. And try to either come up with a gas tube charging system or a left side charging handle that wouldn't move while firing and fold. Any way I've only got one .308 and it's in a wood outfit and looks like a classic ak, I like it like that, but want a more modern ak with the HK sights and RMR red dot and different charging handle.</p></blockquote>

<br />

Mounting an optic with 0x magnification is kind of a waste of the .308 cartridge.</p></blockquote>

Net, I am so thankful for your post. Its a real eye opener. I appreciate all the informative info you just given me. Sarcasm off.

Dude this isn't my first rodeo. I've been around the saigas for years. I'm fully aware that the Russians don't keep 100% tolerance in all the guns they make and each measurement could be different. Regardless pooling has already stated he made a mistake posting the above measurement and came back with a measurement that was close to what the other guy had. I doubt their barrels will be far off from one another due to all the other components that have to be installed like the gas block, front sight, rear sight block.

Also if you read every post made, you will see I already stated that I will confirm measurements on mine when I get it.