VIDEO: Para Ordnance P14-45 1911 Feeding Issues

I am new to the 1911 platform so if anyone sees something that we didnt see while shooting it please let me know. We were shooting Winchester brass 45acp and Ive shot it before with the cheap Tula steel cased ammo and it ran very well. Does the Tula steel cased have more behind it?

I can't comment on that gun in particular, but I've ran many hundreds of that same Winchester through my stainless P90, which has some 1911 in it, though it isn't 1911. It has only FTF/FTE maybe 2 out of the first 100 I put through it. No issues at all after break in.

• Like 1
I can't comment on that gun in particular, but I've ran many hundreds of that same Winchester through my stainless P90, which has some 1911 in it, though it isn't 1911. It has only FTF/FTE maybe 2 out of the first 100 I put through it. No issues at all after break in.

Im pretty sure its an ammo/magazine issue

I'd bet on the ammo. Try some different brands and find one your 1911 likes. Your slide shouldnt be that tight, but I dont think that has anything to do with your FTFs

• Like 1
I'd bet on the ammo. Try some different brands and find one your 1911 likes. Your slide shouldnt be that tight, but I dont think that has anything to do with your FTFs

Yeah it seems to like the Tula steel cased ammo lol

get on 1911forum.com - great site, especially for you being new to the platform. I hope its just an ammo issue, it seems so close to feeding. might need a bit of polishing on the feed ramp or a tiny bit of barrel reaming.

Edited by KTM

i've been thinking about one myself. but i dont have a barrel for it, so of course, i can't buy a barrel, i have to get a new 1911...

currently looking at the new sigs. good luck on your issue, sorry i cant help

Is that 23 out of a full box of 100? I'm thinking mag doesn't like the Winchester. If you pause at 1:31 when he goes to pull the mag out, he tips the ejection port towards the camera and it looks like the round tried feeding down instead of up. Maybe the follower is tilting on Winchester white box? Seems odd but I wouldn't put anything past WWB

I would check the surface of the breechface in the slide. If it's not smooth, the case head will not be able to slide upward across the surface as it is feeding, and you will get a stoppage just like that. It may appear smooth to the naked eye, but take a flat piece of steel, wrap a piece of 600 grit sand paper around it, and slide it across the breechface surface a few strokes. Any tooling chatter will show up immediately.

It could also be the feed lips on the magazine are holding the case head down for too long as the case slides out, but these days, the magazine manufacturers are doing much better at getting the mags right.....same with feed ramps. These days, those are usually not an issue anymore.

If we were talking about 1911's 20 years ago, I would go after the feed ramp first, the mag second, and the breechface third. But these days, the first two problems are usually addressed......leaving you with the latter issue as the most probable.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

P.S. And as far as ammo goes, a 1911 45 ACP should be able to run just about anything these days.