AK-101/102 Factory Izhmash?

1.)What did Izhmash sell with the exported AK-101/102?

2.)Does it look like the other Izhmash synthetic mags?

3.)And what do you think of this?

GunBroker/Ruseller 30 rd .223

saiga223_10rd_mag.jpg

4.)Isn't this just the same as anyone modding an AK-74 5.45x39 30rd mag?

5.) Best mag for conversion to AK-101/102 in your opinion?

My understanding from everything I have have read is that the 5.56 Polish mags are the 'copy' of the Russian 5.56. I went that direction at a much cheaper cost.

Those mags that ruseller is selling sure look like they have too much angle to be correct. But the picture angle is bad and the fact that he knows better than me, I can only assume they are right. Take the spacer out and you may just have a true Russian mag....but for $129 plus $25....ouch!

I have another Image that shows the Philipino Police using the 101, I think it's on my work machine, but IIRC they look just like the Izhmash picture.

An actual 101

1111-med.jpg

Izhmash site:

11ak101_1.gif

Mine with Polish mag

11saiga223_055-med.jpg

With a clear Bulgy waffle:

ak101.jpg

wow. I new about "7.62x39" polish synthetics magazines. I even had some....

But 5.56 polish mags....

these sound rare! :eek:

Be aware that the ones ruseller has for sale are the ones RAA tried to get, but the ATf said no way on them. If you order them, just be aware of that.

RAAC was gonna somehow procure "modded" 5.45 mags, turned into .223?

I don't think that is a fact.

Tell us please where you heard that.

Do you mean they were trying to get hi-caps? Thats not what I'm asking about. but thanks for the input.

Just looking for pics from books of AK-101, AK-102, AK-103, AK-104, and AK-105's as these were "Century Series" AK-100's that were for Russian Export Sales.

I just wanted even more info,photos,links.

Edited by dodgeturbointerceptor

Rare Polish? Maybe in terms of export, but, the Poles were practically the only East European nation to take the NATO uniform ammo thing seriously. They are, I believe, the only East Euro nation to actually switch their military tooling over to the 5.56 mm (the former E.Germany aslo did for a while, and Romania began mfg for other nations, hence the SAR 3s). After they did, they noticed that they were practically the only ones that did, so they went back to the 5.45 tooling. But they have one of the largest home military production inventories of the 5.56 mm stuff. Other nations make it purely for export in much smaller numbers.

As far as .223 AK mags go, 5.45 mags are easily converted to 5.56 mm with Robarms followers, or, as I chose, about .25 worth of Home Depot epoxy putty. The putty fix is fast, cheap, and permanent as well as totally reliable. As far as the feed lips go, if you are modding the 5.45 for the SAR or WASR 3, you need to open up the stricture in the lips a tad. If the mags are for the Saiga .223, you need not touch the lips. The reason is that the SAR and WASRs use the center-crested 5.45 feed ramp. The Siaga .223s use a 5.56 mm plain jane feed ramp. SARs and WASRs need the bullets to go out straight from left and right sides. The Saiga .223 sends them to the middle like the 5.45. Check the feed ramp pics at K-Var to see what I am talking about.

Because of the center crest in some .223 AKs, the E.German Wiegers will work in the Saiga .223 if you grind down the way-too-long locking lug bottoms (rather than modding the mags. I wanted my mags to fit all my .223 AKs, not be Saiga specific). You will also need to grind a bit of a feed ramp at the bottom of the chamber opening. I have pics of all these mods in various posts over time here. You need to search for them.

Edited by inparidel
  • 1 month later...