Is there a round-count break in period?

I've heard a few times that the SGM mags have a break-in period to start working at or close to 100% reliability, but I was curious if Vepr12 owners are concluding that there is a break-in period for the shotgun itself? I may be imagining things, but I seem to remember reading a few months back that there was a 200-300 round break-in period for the shotgun itself. For those of you who have cycled 500+ shells, would you agree with this?

I have greater > 300 shells through my Vepr 12, and besides shells < 1200 FPS, and SGM mags, I have had 0 issues. So I know not > 500, but that is my experience. I plan to update once I have more shells through her, but I personally have already given up on SGM magazines. Not to say they do not have a break in period, but I just do not feel like messing with them atm. I'm still trying to find out how reliable my Vepr 12 is before I add more variables, like aftermarket mags. So far 100% so pretty stoked( minus of course the above variable which imo are out of scope).

I personally have already given up on SGM magazines. Not to say they do not have a break in period, but I just do not feel like messing with them atm. I'm still trying to find out how reliable my Vepr 12 is before I add more variables, like aftermarket mags.

I definately understand your statement.

I went with 10 round SGM's and have had zero issues beyong their first load. Found what helped best was to load a couple rounds and force them down and release a few times to smooth feeding in them. My VEPR has tan amazingly well on even underpowered crap. Even my factory magazine struggled with the 1190fps #8 shot. Me and Evlblkwpns ran a out 300 rounds of every type and power of bulk bird shot crap i could muster through it and i was pleased, especially conpared to a new Saiga.

Mine did cycle low recoil buckshot, but was not something i would trust or rely on. The 1350fps (federal bulk milspec) and 1650fps 00 buck (hornaday) run like anchamp as long as your shoulder can take it. I made it through a hundred of the remington and was bruised for about a week.

I went with 10 round SGM's and have had zero issues beyong their first load. Found what helped best was to load a couple rounds and force them down and release a few times to smooth feeding in them. My VEPR has tan amazingly well on even underpowered crap. Even my factory magazine struggled with the 1190fps #8 shot. Me and Evlblkwpns ran a out 300 rounds of every type and power of bulk bird shot crap i could muster through it and i was pleased, especially conpared to a new Saiga.

Mine did cycle low recoil buckshot, but was not something i would trust or rely on. The 1350fps (federal bulk milspec) and 1650fps 00 buck (hornaday) run like anchamp as long as your shoulder can take it. I made it through a hundred of the remington and was bruised for about a week.

Did LRBHO work 100% of the time?

Have had no trouble with the factory mag and 1200 fps target loads. However, those loads are about 70% reliable when being fed from an SGM 12 rd mag unfortunately.

I have less than 100 rounds through mine

I've had just the opposite experience. The factory mags, both Izhmash and Molot, have been less reliable than the SGM mags with low brass. The factory mags have more spring tension which amounts to more friction on the bolt carrier.

My LRBHO has been about 95% on all mags including factory five rounders. Only a couple times that it did not lock and it was just as i began using the new magazines without forcing a round down first.

My method: Take your new SGM mags and load a single round in. Then take your finger and ram the shit out of it down and allow ot to return a few times. On all five of mine there was something interfering with the magazine cycling, but i actually felt the point of tension smooth out. Then i loaded it up to five rounds and did the same again till it bottomed out and the same smoothness happened. They ran like champs after that.

May or may not work for all, but cant hurt and is free.

• Like 1
My LRBHO has been about 95% on all mags including factory five rounders. Only a couple times that it did not lock and it was just as i began using the new magazines without forcing a round down first.

My method: Take your new SGM mags and load a single round in. Then take your finger and ram the shit out of it down and allow ot to return a few times. On all five of mine there was something interfering with the magazine cycling, but i actually felt the point of tension smooth out. Then i loaded it up to five rounds and did the same again till it bottomed out and the same smoothness happened. They ran like champs after that.

May or may not work for all, but cant hurt and is free.

This is what I was looking for, thanks menace.

• 2 weeks later...