Experiences w/150g hunting ammo

Hi all. Just wondering what your experiences have been with 150g hunting ammo in your s-308s. Ive managed to find some locally but different brands (fed. Vital shock, win superx, fiocci soft point cutters) and was wondering if it would work well enough to lay a deer down from 0-200m comin out of a 22in barrel. This is all i can find in the greater area as i was wanting 165-168g stuff for the rifle but at this point im willing to settle lol. Also, would it be ok to load up on 150g fmj and punch paper w that and make minor adjustments for each ammo type or is it all going to be all over the place with respect to shot placement?

Thanks again,

-L-

LiPin80R,

I've been using BVAC 150 GR FMJ 308 rounds, and they group fine. The 150 GR FMJ round will work fine for deer also. The 308/7.62 is a great round: very ballistically stable, very accurate and easily reaches out to 500 to 600 yards with the correct zero. This link is one of many on the internet for ballistic charts for the 308: this link is for the American Eagle (Federal) 150 gr FMJ. http://gundata.org/blog/post/308-ballistics-chart/ It shows a zero of 100 yards, which is way too short range for zeroing for serious work. I would try to zero at 200 - 250 yards.

The US Army "Battle Sight Zero" for the M14 (7.62 Nato) was for 250 meters (109.4 yards). Zero at about 250 meters (273.4 yards) and the bullet impact will be a few inches low at 100 meters, right on at 250, and a few inches low at 300 meters (328 yards). Play with it till you feel comfortable with the zero. The bottom line is you should be able to quicker sight on a deer in the vital area without a lot of mental anguish about hold-over.

I got a 250 round bulk purchase of the BVAC 308 from Cheaper Than Dirt this fall, for $139. Now they're out, BVAC is backlogged, and just about everybody is sold out and backlogged. Some of the bulk batches available are going for over $1.00 per round, or more. Even once fired brass, if you can find it, is over $1, if you can find it. Bottom line is, grab what you can find, then buy more; zero and practice with the same brand ammo for consistency. The 150 GR FMJ round will work fine for deer also.Good luck

Thanks so much for the info! I went ahead and picked up three boxes of the aforementioned and one box of tula fmj- all 150gr and i took all they had at 20$/box. Figured given the current state if affairs that was gonna be the cheapest i could get esp for the hunting rounds.also glad to hear itll reach out too 500m w a little work:D

What does bvac stand for btw?