Lanzas mom gave him money specifically for firearms

Just saw on the news the FBI found a christmas card with a check specifically for a gun. Tell me why are we as responsible firearm owners being punished? This woman enabled him to purchase them illegally! She should not have had a firearm in the house. I followed this law. My brother was a convicted felon. As respect to the law and him I did not have any fire arms in my house. End rant sorry i usually stay away from this political crap but, this one boiled my blood. Hope the NRA uses this one against them.

Here is my question though, how did she help him acquire them illegally? He, to my knowledge, had not been adjudicated incompetent so he could legally own and possess them if he did.

Being mentally ill carries a stigma and mentally defective is a ruling the courts do no use enough. You would be amazed how many schitofrenics are functioning in socieity every day but will sware to you they can smell the color red. Since their condition is controlled with medication the courts do not intervene and as such they can legally own a firearm. This is all good till they decide, and it happens very frequently, they no longer need the medicine because they are "better". This cycle is a vicious one that many mentally ill people go through for their whole lives and at the same time the general public is endangered by. Granted a small majority are violen or have tendencies, but even when they are identified as such psychiatrist/ psychologists convince the courts there is better ways of handling it while they have immunity and make decisions for people with impunity.

Thats my rant. I joined the party, sorry

TIMTIMTIM,

With the way the law works a diagnosis does not disqualify you from anything. A Judge has to actually adjudicate you to make it where you can not own a firearm. It is easier to lose your rights for a domestic violence charge than for mental illness, which is a double edged sword. On one hand it does protect the many people who are no threat, but at the same time it is dangerous for the rest of the populus when those who are dangerous have access.

Here is the ultimate question: whose rights do we sacrifice? The normal answer is "the other guys, not mine", but he is saying the same thing back. If you place a stigma onto mental illness that it automatically disqualifies you from firearm ownership, then people will just not seek help which also creates fangerous situations. A genuinely damned situation.