http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvK9QlQtrKI

For those of us with the "Can't Get No .22lr Ammo Blues", I got to thinking... Wouldn't be a dream to have a mini operation in a garage or shop to have the materials and some little machinery that you could make .22lr ammo? I'm sure I'm not the only guy to have pondered this once or twice, especially when just less than four months ago, I'm sure a lot of reloading guys figured that .22lr ammo is cheap, widely available, and plentiful enough, it wouldn't justify purchasing the nesessary material and equiptment available to make .22 ammo.

I have a fuzz over 9,000 rounds in my cache, but this onset of trying to get some is like finding a needle in a haystack. I wished I had atleast five times that amount. I always knew .22lr ammo was one of the best to be had for cheap target practice, plinking around, survival, for hunting (yes, .22lr has taken large game down many, many times) and can take out a bad guy at a few hundred yards away with a well placed shot, not to mention that when suppressed, it sounds like an old typewriter key being stroked. I read an interesting article once about how a guy with a pack loaded with 10,000 rounds of .22lr could easily tote that much ammo around in a pack and completely demoralize a company of,... say...UN personnel, if the shit were to hit the fan.

Anyways, just thought it would be a dream to have a small scale .22lr mini manufacturing operation set up in a shop. I thought the video was interesting. CCI cranks out 16 pallets a day (according to video), and if you think about it, take the bigger cities in the US, and divide that by the number of gunshops, sporting goods stores, and gas stations that sell .22lr in those cities, that's not a whole lot of .22 CCI ammo going around.

Damn, that mini operation would sure by nice, wouldn't it?

• Like 2

Cool video, thanks for posting it. Yeah I have a buddy up the road who is sitting on tens of thousands of .22 rounds, he bought it for trading when SHTF. He doesn't even own a .22 gun of any kind. But yeah I sure wish I woulda had the insite he had, or a small manufacture setup.

Cool video, thanks for posting it. Yeah I have a buddy up the road who is sitting on tens of thousands of .22 rounds, he bought it for trading when SHTF. He doesn't even own a .22 gun of any kind. But yeah I sure wish I woulda had the insite he had, or a small manufacture setup.

Sounds like your buddy is literally sitting on a goldmine! I truly believe ammo will be the ultimate bartering currency, specifically .22lr and shotshells.

Sounds like your buddy is literally sitting on a goldmine! I truly believe ammo will be the ultimate bartering currency, specifically .22lr and shotshells.

The funny thing about him is.......I told him five years ago that ammo would be the next currency and he laughed in my face. Two years ago the lights in his brain came on and he has been full bore preppen ever since.

Not a bad idea, but I would need to get a few things:

LLC, business licence, FFL, insurance, a truck, a place to store it, and time. That said, I am not all that averse to doing something like that as a side gig. I'd have to run the math.

Not a bad idea, but I would need to get a few things:

LLC, business licence, FFL, insurance, a truck, a place to store it, and time. That said, I am not all that averse to doing something like that as a side gig. I'd have to run the math.

I would think a business like CCI would have their first come, first serve reputible and long standing business customers booked up for a very long time with many, many backdated placement orders that are already set in place by contracts before a newly licenced and insured guy came along hoping to purchase a pallet of their ammo.

With production going full around the clock and order backdates being pushed as far ahead as a year or better, I think chances of a new business guy trying to purchase a pallet full are pretty slim, as far as being able to acquire some anytime soon.

Would be a good idea to look into, though.

Edited by fffpatriot

I'm sure you are right. I was more thinking in terms of a running deal as a long term investment and side gig. I realized that I am relatively good at predicting market fluctuations relative to firearms stuff. I made a little money with this spike to cover costs of the hobby, but if I had bought in as an investment, I could have made some real money. I'd like to get to a more formal place where I have a budget dedicated to speculating on gun related stuff.