Ak74 with 5/8x24mm.

I'm getting ready to thread my barrel on my saiga .308 and I only have eyes for a 74' break. I really want to be able to find one in the correct thread pattern. So my question is where can I get one in 5/8x24mm threads. I found a "four piece" cone type but I'd really rather have the 74 style.

I can get access to a lathe would it be wprth the savings to see about taking a 14mm 74 break and boring it out and threading it?

Im holding a 5/8x24 die right now. I got my front sight off and found that dinzag has the 74' in that pattern. I also knocked my trigger guard off. It was just jb welded on. So I'm going to drill and tap it for 6/32 screw and use locktight on it to hold the trigger guard on. The JB weld was just to get it to be able to shoot any way.

The front sight was a total butch to get off and I'm inpatient so I had to get it off now instead of waiting till tomorrow to use a press.

I actually met a guy two days ago that had a saiga .308 converted with psl stocks. He used a dinzag handguard retainer and left the lower psl handguard long and has the retainer mounted right against the gas tube. It looks like a mini psl since it has a 16" barrel. Well I asked him about threading the barrel. He had the tools a d said he would loan them to me. I got gun people they are the nicest and best group of honest people around.

I found that out this morning. But the good news is my uncle the machinist is able to thread the barrel 5/8x24 on his lathe without removing the barrel! So it will be safe for the silencer I really really really want.

i think the 16" barrel have to be threaded 17x1 unless you have the barrel turned down to take 5/8

Most (if not ALL?) EAA and earlier rifles can be threaded 5/8-24.

Some RAA rifles can take 5/8-24; Some need 17x1mm or turn-down to take 5/8-24 - you'll need to pull the FSB and measure carefully / accurately.

Dinzag can help with both (5/8 or 17mm).... He has a "muzzle thinner" that will shave a 17mm muzzle to be threaded to 5/8. Kinda like a pencil sharpener. He also has a back-boring service for the FSB and has dies/TAT's for threading .

Macbeau...

I got it threaded. I had a 5/8x24. The barrel was .670-.677= too damn big for 5/8 die. My uncle was helping me drill and repin the sight and he has a full machine shop. All CNC and thi is what he does. He very good. In fact he was making some parts for set up equipment for a nuclear power plant while I was there.

So he said I can chuck that up with some plastic and run it between centers and turn it down on the lathe. I said can you thread it too? And make sure it's off the bore so I can run a silencer some day. He said sure. I got it back Saturday. I got it all put together and I'm

Going to order the brake from dinzag. I found out he has them for just 35 bucks. So that easier and better for me than trying to get my uncle to make it. Which he could easily but I don't want to ask too much of him with out paying him(he won't let me)

And then once I get the balls to spend 1000 bucks on an AAC 762sdn6 an not get to even use it for 6months I'll get an AAC brakeout for it.

Well it's already loud as hell. Here's a Story. I'm sitting at my picnic table I shoot off. There's a church about a half a mike away. I fire 8 rounds and put the saiga in the trunk of the car backed right up to me. I get my ar15 out and I'm getting ready to fire when I see two cop cars coming down my drive way. I lock my bolt back and stand up and meet a female officer as the male office goes to the house and turns around. He gets out and I ask then if there's s problem they say no bot at all we heard an explosion and thought a transformer had exploded. I say oh no that just my 16" .308 "do you want to see it. He says oh no everything is fine. She says "you know you want to" she must have knew he was a gun nut. I showed it to him and he said, is that a .223 I said no .308. He was impressed but didn't really show it. Then they left. I love living in free America. In a commie state they would have did an anal probe.