Shop that sold gun to Newtown shooter's mom loses license | Fox Ne

What's interesting is that they did it 6 days after the shooting. I didn't think there was a gun registry. How did they know that weapon was purchased there?

Is there some way the serial number is tracked from the OEM to the shop?

The 4473's are kept locally at the shop as far as I know and the weapon isn't tied to an individual unless there is reason for the BATFE to inspect the forms or the gun shop goes out of business and turns their 4473's in.

That's how it works in my state.

What's interesting is that they did it 6 days after the shooting. I didn't think there was a gun registry. How did they know that weapon was purchased there?

The 4473's are kept locally at the shop as far as I know and the weapon isn't tied to an individual unless there is reason for the BATFE to inspect the forms or the gun shop goes out of business and turns their 4473's in.

I believe there was some sort of record and/or receipts found at the home that they found.

• Like 1

I don't really understand why this happened. The transaction appears to have been lawful. If I sell someone my car and their relative decides to steal the vehicle and go on a mass road rage, will my DL be revoked?

• Like 2

As long as the gun hasn't passed through too many hands, it doesn't take long to find out the last place it was sold through. All they have to do is get the serial number from the recovered weapon, call the manufacturer to have them check their records to see what distributor it was sold to. They then call that distributor and find out what store it was sent to... then they call that store to check their 4473's to see who it was sold to. From there it they check with that buyer to find out if they sold it privately or back to a shop somewhere and continue with the cycle.

• Like 1
I don't really understand why this happened. The transaction appears to have been lawful. If I sell someone my car and their relative decides to steal the vehicle and go on a mass road rage, will my DL be revoked?

My guess is that during the investigation the BATFE might have found other discrepancies with their bookkeeping unrelated to SH and decided to suspend their license.

My guess is that during the investigation the BATFE might have found other discrepancies with their bookkeeping unrelated to SH and decided to suspend their license.

That's how it looks, and they didn't appeal it sooooo........

As long as the gun hasn't passed through too many hands, it doesn't take long to find out the last place it was sold through. All they have to do is get the serial number from the recovered weapon, call the manufacturer to have them check their records to see what distributor it was sold to. They then call that distributor and find out what store it was sent to... then they call that store to check their 4473's to see who it was sold to. From there it they check with that buyer to find out if they sold it privately or back to a shop somewhere and continue with the cycle.

This is exactly what I try to explain to people who believe there is a gun show loophole.

• Like 1

I believe there was some sort of record and/or receipts found at the home that they found.

Doh! Didn't even think of that as I don't keep any receipts after 2 years.

They found this w/i 6 days? While investigating the worst mass murder in the states history??

I thought the article stated that the owner was going to appeal.

They found this w/i 6 days? While investigating the worst mass murder in the states history??

I thought the article stated that the owner was going to appeal.

ATF officials said federal firearms license holders receive a copy of the violations report before a revocation is initiated and are made aware of the violations again during the hearing process. They have 60 days to appeal and in this case they chose not to do so, officials said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/05/shop-that-sold-gun-to-newtown-shooter-mom-loses-license/#ixzz2PolMcPEK

You're over-thinking the BAFTE's involvement. All they do in investigations is find out if the guns were legally purchased or not. They're not processing any other evidence from the crime. The BAFTE is a pseudo-crime fighting agency with too much time on their hands... basically they've got nothing better to do.

I'm thinking that Uncle Fed has their private little data base with records of everyone who has had a NICS check for any gun they've purchased, I'm thinking they don't have to find a receipt, I may be wrong.

I also think the feds are once again, flexing their bullying arms of tyranny and making an example to other gun stores ect... of this gunshop that sold this rifle to her. Beretty states a good example...

" If I sell someone my car and their relative decides to steal the vehicle and go on a mass road rage, will my DL be revoked?"

I'm thinking that Uncle Fed has their private little data base with records of everyone who has had a NICS check for any gun they've purchased, I'm thinking they don't have to find a receipt, I may be wrong.

I also think the feds are once again, flexing their bullying arms of tyranny and making an example to other gun stores ect... of this gunshop that sold this rifle to her. Beretty states a good example...

" If I sell someone my car and their relative decides to steal the vehicle and go on a mass road rage, will my DL be revoked?"

That's right.

Fun fact though...In my state, if your vehicle crosses a toll bridge (auto-camera toll, not booth) even if you're not driving, you get a bill in the mail. If you dont pay up, you cannot renew your license/reg. Good luck proving it too, lots of people get false charges for this and the state will not budge even with evidence against their claim. It's been a big news shitstorm around here and they refuse to fix it.

Discrepancies that did not have anything to do with the weapons used in the crime.

Discrepancies that did not have anything to do with the weapons used in the crime.

A busted tail light has nothing to do with a DUI charge... but if you get pulled over for one while driving drunk you can bet you'll get it.

• Like 2