How many are using the Texas Weapon Sys rail and hows it working out?

Just ordered one with sight (ouch what a price on that little bugger), decided the the Krebbs was over priced and dont feel like making one.

How are they working out for you guys and any suggestions?

I have one on my .308 mounting a 3x9 Redfield and I like it a lot.

s308sneaky.jpg

My only complaint is the retaining button they sell specifically for the .308 doesn't work, and wouldn't let the rail lock down at the rear. I had to switch back to the standard button and use a blackjack buffer in place of the factory .308 buffer to keep the carrier from jumping the rails.

Thanks for input, glad to see the results are as I hoped.

I have one on my .308 mounting a 3x9 Redfield and I like it a lot.

My only complaint is the retaining button they sell specifically for the .308 doesn't work, and wouldn't let the rail lock down at the rear. I had to switch back to the standard button and use a blackjack buffer in place of the factory .308 buffer to keep the carrier from jumping the rails.

Did they have send you another or was the standard button included?

I bought it from another retailer and it came with the standard button. Then I ordered the ".308" button direct from TWS. I was a little annoyed to discover I was better off using the original button. Still not happy with needing to use a buffer in order to make up for a shortcoming with the product, or buying a part that didn't do what it was supposed to do, but the rifle doesn't seem to care. It just works.

I bought it from another retailer and it came with the standard button. Then I ordered the ".308" button direct from TWS. I was a little annoyed to discover I was better off using the original button. Still not happy with needing to use a buffer in order to make up for a shortcoming with the product, or buying a part that didn't do what it was supposed to do, but the rifle doesn't seem to care. It just works.

I had to replace the buffer anyway for something else so that hasnt been an issue, it just works.

Will keep an eye out for this though, thanks!

It is a good replacement for the dust cover. Have you thought about the fore end as well?

The fore end has one purpose, give me a place to put my hand without getting burned. It does this very well so no. why?

Ok, so when you put this rail on you loose the ability to adjust for elevation? Does it make it worth it, or is this just a one trick pony only used for using optics. Is there a sight pop up sight you can put on it to have a back up for when your optics go to shit?

In a way i was joking, but in all serriousness I would like to have the ability to adjust for elevation should my optics go to hell. Im presently looking at a few rear pop up sights that also adjust for elevation. Dubs showed me his and i did like it, but i also love to be able to use iron sights. You will not always have the option to use optics and having that back up is important. If things go well im going to get the texas doglegg in about a month. After that im swapping out my tapco tri rail for something sturdier and geting a nice ace stock as long as i dont have to cut off the rear trunion.

Ok, so when you put this rail on you loose the ability to adjust for elevation? Does it make it worth it, or is this just a one trick pony only used for using optics. Is there a sight pop up sight you can put on it to have a back up for when your optics go to shit?

You still adjust the irons for elevation at the front sight, like almost every other AK. There's not a pop up sight, but there are several options for a rear iron sight to be used with the standard AK front sight. There is the TWS peep sight like I have on my .308 pictured above, TWS makes an optional dog leg (the part that attaches to the rear sight block) that has an integral fixed leaf in the standard AK position, and some people have reported success using a leaf from Kel-tec that attaches to the rail. You can either use see-through rings like I have, or QD scope rings to be able to use the irons. With the stock I built, I only have to slightly loosen a couple thumb nuts, and slap the top of the cheek rest down in order to get on the irons.

Edited by Netpackrat
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok rail arrived and it was on the rifle in two hours after watching a vid or two on installing it.

That cover is on there real well and aint going to budge.

Testing when I can get to the range.

And no I don't post pics of firearms. :)

• 4 weeks later...

If you wish to use a quick disconnect type scope mount with this rail be advised the rail seems a bit wide for them.

At least the UTG LE Max hold type seems made for a narrower rail as even at max adjustment its tough getting it to lock and unlock.

I mean TOUGH. So modification is called for on the ring base. Dremels, god love em.

Just FYI