VEPR-12 SBS project idea

I'm thinking about submitting a form to ATF to cut down my barrel in near future.

It's just me but... this long barrel bothers me a little.

What's the min length of barrel I could cut down without worrying about reliability issue.

Should I keep it as is?

Any thoughts?

I can tell you that ~5.3" off the stock barrel stopped mine from cycling low brass.

You can either SBS it or you can cut the barrel and permanently attach a brake. Stock barrel is ~19 inch, you can take that down to 18 with the brake. No paperwork required for that.

Oh... didn't think about that.

Thanks EC4321.

Reliability is important to me since I run bird shots mostly on my VEPR.

Hmm... decision decision.

I can tell you that ~5.3" off the stock barrel stopped mine from cycling low brass.

You can either SBS it or you can cut the barrel and permanently attach a brake. Stock barrel is ~19 inch, you can take that down to 18 with the brake. No paperwork required for that.

You can solve the cycling problem as well. it's all doable.

I am working on the cycling issue on mine now. First step for me is to have the bolt carrier and FCG re-profiled/polished.

Lighter spring / opening ports may be in the mix later on.

Evilblackwpnz performs voodoo magic SBSing S-12s and keeping them running everything. There was a guy that already SBS'd a Vepr but I don't think there was any followup on how reliably it cycled various loads.

Thanks for your generous info, EC4321.

You can solve the cycling problem as well. it's all doable.

I am working on the cycling issue on mine now. First step for me is to have the bolt carrier and FCG re-profiled/polished.

Lighter spring / opening ports may be in the mix later on.

Evilblackwpnz performs voodoo magic SBSing S-12s and keeping them running everything. There was a guy that already SBS'd a Vepr but I don't think there was any followup on how reliably it cycled various loads.

If you don't chop it yourself, it's best to communicate with the gunsmith as they can ensure the cycling is correct on their end by opening up the gas ports more as needed (without having you to do all the leg work for cycling). You should go ahead and submit the SBS form with your money order ASAP only because you will be without your VEPR 12 for the entire duration of the application process until the SBS form has been approved. There's plenty of time in between to do research and communicated with gunsmiths that can do the job for you unless you enjoy doing it yourself. I highly recommend having a professional performing the gas work AFTER performing friction minimization issues (polishing carrier, polishing trigger hammer, swapping springs) on your end.