Well folks here we go again.............lawn mower time. Long story short, after exhausting research, I bought this one with my (I quit smoking money).  It doesn't come with the water hose nipple installed in the deck for cleanup, so I bought one from Lowes, it's a replacement kit for MTD mowers. Anyway, I drilled and filed the deck to fit the nipple, took all of 15 minutes to install. I put the oil in the engine, put a little gas in it, pulled the cord lightly (once) and viola, the beast came to life, I engaged the self drive and the beast popped a wheeley and commenced to drag my old ass down the sidewalk 015.gif  This purchase was a toss-up between this one and the Husqvarna, I think I made the right choice for me.http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200585492_200585492

attachicon.gifMower.jpg

That's a great little mower for manicured urban lawns. My neighbor has one that he took with him when he retired to Montana. It has some issues with the rocky areas but cuts much better than my Husqvarna. I believe it is because of the design of the deck and the trippy blade. I constantly bash my blades on stuff because my lawn is more of a mountain hillside. The dual blades are expensive and delicate so I had to avoid them. I also like a side discharge but you don't get the cool honda deck suction that is created by sending the discharge out the back. I see you can select what you want to do with the clippings. That's pretty cool!

Have fun! Only thing I would do is run the original oil that it came with for a few mows and then switch it to synthetic. If you can, find a good high octane no ethanol gas and you will have a fine mower for many years to come!

Get your steel toe boots out!

+1 on no ethanol gas for small engines! For those like me that do not live near a REAL gas dealer,- install a cut off in the fuel line, and when finished shut off the fuel and allow it to run untill it dies. This will keep the crappy gas from turning into gum in the carbutetor and causing a major FUBAR!.

Also, with any gas engine used sporatically, USE STABIL IN THE GAS!!!

• Like 2

+1 on no ethanol gas for small engines! For those like me that do not live near a REAL gas dealer,- install a cut off in the fuel line, and when finished shut off the fuel and allow it to run untill it dies. This will keep the crappy gas from turning into gum in the carbutetor and causing a major FUBAR!.

The Honda comes with an inline fuel cutoff 032.gif

• Like 1

The Honda comes with an inline fuel cutoff 032.gif

Add a T, another valve, and put a drain hose on it so you can drain the gas out at the end of the seasons without breaking your nuts. While you're there, put a filter before the carb.

In terms of mowers over all, here are my thoughts:

Riders: 60s-70s Cub Cadets... Be prepared for some upkeep (it's a "classic" mower after all)... It will handle abuse like you've never imagined. I own 4. The EMPTY rear axle housing (no diff, gears, axles, or brakes) weighs 97lbs on my 149 and 1650... Front axle is cast iron and has to weigh at least 30lbs. BEEFY little tractors.

Pushers: 2 cycle old school Lawn Boys (mid-90s being my favorite)... Run forever, easy to maintain, make great power, and use NO gas.

Small Power Equipment: Stihl... accept nothing else.

That's what I roll.

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • 2 weeks later...

Started my "trusty" Husq 2348LS Thursday... It started up first time since fall...  was running good... in idle... Then it went "CLUNK"... and started to run with some extra vibration... I hopped on and drove it out of the garage and made a lap around the property...seemed to be running like normal, just had a lot of vibration to it...I was wondering of I broke a motor mount or something... then went back to the garage... as I got it almost all the way backed in, something went "SNAP!" and fluid began pouring out of the trans-axle... I immediately shut it down, and haven't looked at it since... :'(

With all that said...  replacing the trans-axle is a 900 proposition on a 3500 dollar mower.

I mow about 5 to 6 acres of land on the property.

I NEED a rugged, and heavier duty machine. The ones at lowes or home depot are just NOT going to cut it.

I really cant get a ZTR, as I need to use this machine as a light duty lawn tractor... pulling accessories etc...

I am looking for suggestions on a new mower that can handle a BIG guy on it, able to handle relatively steep inclines, handle high acreage mowing, and have the ability to pull equipment.

I would PREFER to stick with the husqvarna line... anyone have any more insight other than just head to the dealer and see what they have?

I need to get something SOON... as 'tis almost the season... and I have a LOT of yard cleanup projects that require the wagon, and powered machines to move things.. We wont even worry about grass cutting for a couple more months! LOL

Disposable mower! Sell that turd for $300 on CL and move on.

This isn't what I would really like to recommend, but this will do...

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/grd/4406646494.html

Offer him $450, pay $500, and bring it home. If you have some tools and skill $900 will keep this cub running for the next 20 years.

I'd really have like to have seen a 149 (I can explain why if you're interested) but I don't see anything like it on your local CL.

-------

If you insist on some newer junk tractor that will just continue to let you down again in 3 years, buy the cheapest thing you can find with the longest extended warranty that you can buy. You'll need it.

------

Or... If you've got big bank and no longer want to fuck around pretty much ever in terms of murdering grass...

http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet/zero-turn-riding-mowers/tank-sz

For that price I'd buy a nice used Deere utility tractor with a loader and a diesel... This is basically my Dad's tractor and I've seen it do a CRAZY amount of work for the past 9 years...  (Pulled 70 tons of dirt, by volume, out of my back yard over 2 weekends to replace with gravel driveway,,, It's NOT a monster, but it WILL get it done) Has a nice quick detach system for the bucket, a good solid 3 point, a 64" deck, and will mow 12" tall grass at top speed like isn't any big deal at all (rolls a touch of black smoke when it does it... so cool... also uses almost NO fuel).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-2210-tractor-with-loader-and-mowing-deck-/221402487482?pt=Tractors&hash=item338c9ddaba

I'd prefer a Kubota in that realm, but they cost 40% more to get one new enough to have a decent quick detach loader (but you also get a much better deck).

---------

Either way... I wouldn't buy anymore department store mowers unless you buy the bottom of the barrel with the longest warranty you can get... They're all junk.

I buy my stuff intending to use it until I die with some minor upkeep required... For instance, I paid to have the motor in my '70s Cub Cadet 1650 professionally rebuilt because I was low on time but cash rich at that moment.. It was $1200 (which is crazy expensive) and that engine will run another 50 years, no sweat. 48" tiller was $250... 42" snow thrower was $175... 50" deck was $100... I intend to run 4 wide frame Cubs with at least 2 drivers until I'm able to afford a for real Zero turn or Compact Tractor... I may just settle on inhering Dad's Deere in 20 years for a loader tractor and roll my vintage Cub Cadet parade until time stops for mowing duties.

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1

mine was not a department store mower, it was from a husq. dealer. and has a better rating than the box store ones. all around heavier gauge steel, beefier components... etc... also cost more than box store models.

I am thinking kubota... but who knows...