This is from the ArmyTimes a few weeks back. Personally I think medals and ribbons have been given out like candy since after Vietnam. I guess the brass figures it will help with troop morale and esprit de corps. I think it cheapens the value -- look what an infantryman had to do in WWII to be put up for a Bronze Star, now they are given out to officers and higher ranking enlisted for an end of tour award...

These stats and just Army. It would be interesting to see the same from the other services.

9070033441_68820d4acc_b.jpg

couple to things to factor in, 1st is this is an all volunteer force, 2nd like all wars we've gotten into for quite awhile it's more directed by politics than generals. beating the crap out of the bad guys isn't the problem for the military it's doing it in a way that doesn't offend them.

I don't have a problem with giving everyone a major decoration that goes into theater for a battle that you don't know who's going to try to kill you. The fact that these people don't just shoot everyone around them that's not a fellow American shows more restraint, discipline, and courage than I could show.

• Like 2

I'm not up to date on who got what but, you have to consider we have been at war in multiple areas for over a decade. It was rare to see a Vietnam veteran do three tours. The kids these days are going on their 4th and 5th deployments. Not only do we have a perpetual "war" aka policy enforcement in Iraq and Afghanistan, we have multiple hot spots, the war on drugs and lots of stuff we never hear about.

Perhaps we just have more war and more deployments. The media factor is also there. Everything is witnessed and documented with communications. That never happened in Vietnam or past wars. Lots of stuff went unseen in past wars that is now well documented with small cameras, sats, awesome communications and computers.

Medals also help retain and promote soldiers. We need all the help keeping kids in with all the FUCKING BULLSHIT they deal with in the kinder, more gentile army and this fuck stain of a president.

• Like 2

I'm not up to date on who got what but, you have to consider we have been at war in multiple areas for over a decade. It was rare to see a Vietnam veteran do three tours. The kids these days are going on their 4th and 5th deployments. Not only do we have a perpetual "war" aka policy enforcement in Iraq and Afghanistan, we have multiple hot spots, the war on drugs and lots of stuff we never hear about.

Perhaps we just have more war and more deployments. The media factor is also there. Everything is witnessed and documented with communications. That never happened in Vietnam or past wars. Lots of stuff went unseen in past wars that is now well documented with small cameras, sats, awesome communications and computers.

Medals also help retain and promote soldiers. We need all the help keeping kids in with all the FUCKING BULLSHIT they deal with in the kinder, more gentile army and this fuck stain of a president.

+1