sierra 169 gn hpbt matchking powder data substituted by speer 168 hpbt

Hi guys, I have been reloading for quite some time now and came across some Speer 168gn hpbt bullets that I wanted to load for my super vepr 308. I found some reloading data in my book for the sierra 168 gn hpbt with viht 550 powder, but for the Speer bullet nothing with that powder, I think it's ok to substitute basically the same bullet but different manufacturers . They weigh the same, profile is the same, same materials used in the construction of bullet, what say you? Would it be ok? Only reason for this situation is its difficult to find the powders listed for the Speer bullet, any powders for that matter.

start with a minimum load for the bullet you HAVE load data for... and then drop off 10% of THAT and work up keeping an eye out for signs of overpressure.

Should be relatively simple... by the time you get a load worked up you will be completely out of those bullets and it wont make any difference. :lol::up:

Aint RELOADING fun?!?!?!!? :up:

:smoke:

Not sure which powder you want to use, but here is the load data out of the latest Speer manual for .308 BTHP 168 grain match: Sorry about the data being upside down. The uploader is rotating it even though it is attached normally. Just stand on your head if you need the data.

post-37530-0-51373900-1372773301_thumb.jpg

Duh, I just reread your post and saw you listed Viht 550. Sorry bout that. My manual lists N150 for nearly every .308 load. It lists load data for 180gr for N540, but no N550 for any load. Cross referencing the hornady manual turns up nothing on that powder with .308 either.

Definitely slowly work up what you got, but I would think you should be somewhere in the ball park with the load data you found.

start with a minimum load for the bullet you HAVE load data for... and then drop off 10% of THAT and work up keeping an eye out for signs of overpressure.

Should be relatively simple... by the time you get a load worked up you will be completely out of those bullets and it wont make any difference. laugh.png032.gif

Aint RELOADING fun?!?!?!!? 032.gif

000.gif

I'd say I laughed out loud, but really I just violently expelled air through my nose. -- That's it exactly.

Also unless you make all the steps of the load all at once, it will take 10 range trips to figure out what worked.

Should be relatively simple... by the time you get a load worked up you will be completely out of those bullets and it wont make any difference. laugh.png032.gif

Aint RELOADING fun?!?!?!!? 032.gif

000.gif

I'd say I laughed out loud, but really I just violently expelled air through my nose. -- That's it exactly.

Also unless you make all the steps of the load all at once, it will take 10 range trips to figure out what worked.

THIS^^^^^^^^ 10 range trips!!!! :lol:

I REITERATE....

Aint RELOADING *FUN*?!?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHAH :up: :UP: :lol: :LOL:

:smoke:

Not for the 308 yet. But there are plans for that in the future along with 30/06. Ask Dolomite-suplafly about that. He has a lot of experience in casting for rifle calibers.

My next ammo casting session is going to be experimenting with powder coating my normal pistol load using soft lead. If that works, my supply stream will be much more flexible, and my projectiles will mushroom a bit.

If that works out, then I will pick up a .309 mold around 170 grains. I'd like to find one with an SPBT profile and no grease grooves so that it has similar trajectory to the 165 grain SPBT jacketed loads I like for 30/06. Maybe there is a paper patch mold like this.

Edited by GunFun