I have been offered a Federal Ordnance M14 (Chinese parts not USGI). I dont have pics or the serial number yet......

He wants 5000 rounds of my Wolf 7.62x39 for his belt fed guns (said he has a $1500 offer, but could get the ammo off me faster than ordering)

States he has $1800 in the gun

Details so far:

Seven 20 rounders(military contract) and One 30 rounder

Accurized (smith spec'd and said perfectly fit gun)

Bedded stock

Trigger work

Free floated barrel

Bayo lug and flash hider

Original tools in Buttstock from Vietnam

1 1\2 inch groups at 100 yards with irons (said his friend is a comp shooter and placed 1/2 groups at 100 yards with scope and 147 grain serria match kings)

What do ya think?

Anyone own one? or shot one?

an m14 is on my "list" very accurate shooters. 5000 rnds is alot of ammo. thats around $1399.50 and you say its a chinese one? heres a chinese polytech m14. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=359631961 but it does not include the xtras.

factor in about 850.00 for the mags and your at 1799.00 . not to mention the work thats been done. so yeah id say its worth it.

an m14 is on my "list" very accurate shooters. 5000 rnds is alot of ammo. thats around $1399.50 and you say its a chinese one? heres a chinese polytech m14. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=359631961 but it does not include the xtras.

factor in about 850.00 for the mags and your at 1799.00 . not to mention the work thats been done. so yeah id say its worth it.

Well it is made in the US, but at a point where they were low on USGI parts.....thus substituted with Chinese parts

Federal Ordnance[edit source | edit]From 1984 to 1991, Federal Ordnance of South El Monte, California sold a semi-auto version of the M14 rifle.[36] Initially named the M14 or M14A, the rifle utilized an aftermarket semi-auto receiver fitted with new surplus USGI M14 parts.[36] All receivers were machined from castings of AISI 8620 alloy steel. Except for the first fifty receivers, the castings were supplied by Electro Crisol Metal, S.A. of Santander, Spain, then imported to the USA for finish machining, heat treatment, and exterior phosphate treatment.[36] Federal Ordnance M14 and M14A receivers were heat treated and carburized according to USGI drawing F7790189.[36] Each completed production rifle was proof fired, then tested for functioning by firing three rounds.[36] USGI parts and bolts were used extensively in Federal Ordnance rifles through at least serial number 88XX.[36] In 1989 Federal Ordnance renamed the rifle the M14SA and M14CSA. Rifles in the 93XX serial range and higher utilized modified receivers designed to accept Chinese-made bolts, barrels, and other parts owing to a shortage of original USGI components.[36] Approximately 51,000 complete Federal Ordnance M-14 rifles and at least 60,000 receivers were manufactured before production was halted in late 1991

He paid $60 each for the 20 rounders and $100 for the 30 rounder

Then, if local gunshow prices are anything to judge by, he overpaid for the 20 rounders by a lot. I've never seen a 30-rounder for sale, so I can't judge. I've seen original 20-rounders usually going for around the $30-40 range, sometimes lower because of the cheap Korean mags flooding the market recently.

Whoa, how the hell are 8 mags worth $850??

factor in about 850.00 for the mags and your at 1799.00 .

WHOOPS ITHOUGHT HE SAID 20 MAGS!010.gif

SHOULD BE 360 FOR THE MAGS. BASED ON PRICES IVE SEEN.

• Like 1

$1200.00 is the most I would go. When an FFL back in the 90's I had one and it was solid and the some parts were GI which BTW are kind of hard to come by nowadays (all new prod. Springfield M1A's have no USGI parts). I believe the bolt was Chinese and the barrel but can't remember for sure. It was chromed lined and the receiver while a little rough was GTG.

Think I will just hold on to my ammo......

I got three firearms in the 7.62x39 caliber.......

Prob makes better sense to not cut my ammo supply in half and start with an additional caliber rifle again........

• Like 1

Think I will just hold on to my ammo......

I got three firearms in the 7.62x39 caliber.......

Prob makes better sense to not cut my ammo supply in half and start with an additional caliber rifle again........

the general consensus over at m14forums, is no go. dont do it. not for that price anyway. if he comes down it may make a good donor rifle.

personally id still buy one. just not at that price.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1