Hello Everyone:

I am interested in getting a Mosin if only because ammo is available for it. It is also an historical weapon. For some reason though, they all seem to fire high no matter how much you depress the rear sight. I do think it is a good shooting gun though. I've seen good groups.

Anyway ... my question is how can you tell if a Mosin was made at the Tula arsenal? I've seen several logos on Mosins, but I am ignorant about which logo is for which arsenal or factory. Having had beginning Russian, I can tell the year a Mosin was made and that's all.

I've heard Mosins with hex receivers are more collectible. I'd like to get one with a hex receiver made at the Tula arsenal, but one with a round receiver will shoot just as well I suppose.

If someone can share an image of the Tula logo (and others) I'd really appreciate it. I am assuming Tula made Mosins and that Tula Mosins are desirable, but if I am wrong please let me know which factory or arsenal made good Mosins. What others were there? I just know Tula has been making guns since Peter the Great and I assume many of their Mosins went straight south to Stalingrad.

Spaceeba moy tovareeshee.

Yep, shoot with the bayonet fixed and it should be pretty right on, so don't buy one w/o a bayonet. They end up being almost 6 feet long though, so keep that in mind, also much of the ammo is corrosive, so careful/special cleaning is required!!!

Otherwise, good luck and buy one in person, not online...preferably from a store that has a few to choose from. A knowledgeable salesperson can help you pick a nice one.

Tula is a arrow in a star...

Here are a couple pics of mine.

1930 Tula, hex receiver, no counterbore, no electro pencil, all matching numbers.

great shooter.

The star is the newer tula arsenal marking. The old marking is a hammer. Mine is a 1906 czech re-arsenaled 91-38, which was made from a 91-30. I think tula started using the star after1928, if I am not mistaken.

This is the exact same rifle as mine http://imageevent.com/willyp/russiansovietcomblocsection/czechoslovakia/189138mosinnagant

This site is a wealth of information on the mosin nagant http://7.62x54r.net/

post-31894-0-42917500-1377092968.jpg

post-31894-0-93414600-1377092974.jpg

Edited by Boomsick42
  • Like 1