I would suggest getting a nice leather harness. Jake has worn his 24 hrs a day while doing all kinds of activities and a harness makes it so much easier to tether him safely and securely. Leather looks awesome and has held up well even in wet environments. Here he is climbing, river rafting, and kayaking. I got his at fordogtrainers.com. They have real high quality stuff and the prices are reasonable.

Jake-LakeTahoe_zpsf0aaf73f.jpg

That's the niceset harness I have seen, but for now, I need a traditional collar or martingale for training. I may go for a harness later in life when the dog heels and does not pull at all. I have seen a lot of disasters with people who use the harness on a dog too early. It lets them pull hard with no real correction. The harness is great for nose work and tracking. I used one on my old GSD who could track any blood from any game. I would let him have plenty of lead and slack at first and then just let him run when he was on it.

Where the hell did you get that harness?

The website is called Fordogtrainers.com. You will be able to find and kind of quality collar there you want. Here's a tip: If you want more than one item just order one item that is the least expensive of those you want. Within a few hours or the next day you will get an email from "Guy" at the company offering to let you throw any additional item you want in the box before it is shipped for 20% off each additional item and no additional shipping cost. I can attest to the top notch quality of their leather goods and it is not outrageously expensive.

• Like 1

Since we're on the topic of dog collars, anybody here have a BRT? Care to chime in with some advice on what to look for? Im wanting one, but not sure about the price, or behavior with other dogs.

There is an older dude with a young girlfriend from Oregon who lives around here in the Summer. He takes his Russian Terrier to the beach and lets him swim. The dog is awesome and looks like a hell of a lot of work on grooming and hair cuts. He is VERY freaking smart and VERY freaking strong. A pit mix went over to it once and sniffed his ass without permission and was pinned to the ground untill the owner came over and gave a release command. The pit owner was all upset and tried to argue with the RT owner. The RT got between them and the guy told the pit owner to walk away. I'd bet my paycheck that one command and the dip shit pit owner would have been on the ground by his neck screaming like a girl.

The dog seems loving to only the handler and not anybody else. I watched him for a few hours while my kid was playing with our puppy in the water. He watched people come in and leave or walk by his master. Very cold to other people but loyal and attentive to the owner.

If you trained your dog like this guy did, I don't see a problem. But, they were bred for G-d knows what by a bunch of crazy russians. I can see this dog being a HUGE liability if you did not invest the time and money properly training them.

on a 1-10 on the totally fucking awesome scale, I would give the black russian terrier a 9.5

I don't think I would ever own one unless my kids were out of the house and I was too old to fight off a perp.

Have you seen any for sale? They're as rare as a hen's tooth. I would guess the price would show that as well.

I like your alarm system on the rifle cart!

Yes. Ive been doing a lot of research on them, and they are kick ass dogs. They DO require a lot of attention in both grooming and socializing with other dogs and people, but if started young, they can be great dogs. Its the ones that get neglected or dont get the socializing that can be a bit more to handle, and become a huge liability.

I met a breeder here in TN not long ago that has them available every 6-8 months, but they run from 2500 and up, and get from 130-165 lbs. I got to spend a few minutes with one she had, and it really was a badass dog. I was sold on it afterwards.

• Like 1

Since we're on the topic of dog collars, anybody here have a BRT? Care to chime in with some advice on what to look for? Im wanting one, but not sure about the price, or behavior with other dogs.

There is an older dude with a young girlfriend from Oregon who lives around here in the Summer. He takes his Russian Terrier to the beach and lets him swim. The dog is awesome and looks like a hell of a lot of work on grooming and hair cuts. He is VERY freaking smart and VERY freaking strong. A pit mix went over to it once and sniffed his ass without permission and was pinned to the ground untill the owner came over and gave a release command. The pit owner was all upset and tried to argue with the RT owner. The RT got between them and the guy told the pit owner to walk away. I'd bet my paycheck that one command and the dip shit pit owner would have been on the ground by his neck screaming like a girl.

The dog seems loving to only the handler and not anybody else. I watched him for a few hours while my kid was playing with our puppy in the water. He watched people come in and leave or walk by his master. Very cold to other people but loyal and attentive to the owner.

If you trained your dog like this guy did, I don't see a problem. But, they were bred for G-d knows what by a bunch of crazy russians. I can see this dog being a HUGE liability if you did not invest the time and money properly training them.

on a 1-10 on the totally fucking awesome scale, I would give the black russian terrier a 9.5

I don't think I would ever own one unless my kids were out of the house and I was too old to fight off a perp.

Have you seen any for sale? They're as rare as a hen's tooth. I would guess the price would show that as well.

I like your alarm system on the rifle cart!

Yes. Ive been doing a lot of research on them, and they are kick ass dogs. They DO require a lot of attention in both grooming and socializing with other dogs and people, but if started young, they can be great dogs. Its the ones that get neglected or dont get the socializing that can be a bit more to handle, and become a huge liability.

I met a breeder here in TN not long ago that has them available every 6-8 months, but they run from 2500 and up, and get from 130-165 lbs. I got to spend a few minutes with one she had, and it really was a badass dog. I was sold on it afterwards.

Try to find owners of her dogs from previous litters a few years down the line. They tend to have hip and joint problems and can also get the gray eye thing. Not sure of the fancy word for it.

There are so few of them that you have to watch out for inbreeding. An unlimited AKC is a must at that price. I would want a contract that buys the dog back if the hips or eyes go. That's a lot for a not so popular dog. You could get one of the best german shepherds for that price. :)

• Like 1