Hey Guys:

Does anyone know how to use the LEE turret press to load .30-06? I'm finally setting mine up and, to my horror, their charts don't give a number for a disk combination I'd need.

My "Volume CC" number is off their charts: 3.43.

I'm using Hornady 150 gr. bullets and 46.1 grains of IMR 4064 for a milder muzzle velocity of 2,600 f.p.s. per the Hornady manual.

I'm pretty angry that I spent a lot of money so I can load shells faster only to learn I apparently can't use this press for my load - and it's not a heavy load. I even bought the double disk kit in anticipation of bigger powder volumes. Only four other powders are listed that can be used, but (of course) I don't have those.

LEE said I need to get a "perfect powder measure", but I don't see how that mounts onto a turret. It can be used with a universal charging die. Hopefully that screws into a turret hole.

All in all, I got this press because I've seen others load .30-06 with it (mostly on youtube), and it'd be light years faster than using my single-stage RCBS press. But apparently their "auto disks" can't handle IMR 4064.

Surely, there's a solution out there somewhere.

The good news is I can use it for .30-30 for sure. I'm just ticked I apparently can't use it for .30-06 unless I buy different powders.

Setting-up this press is a challenge in itself.

I'm ticked ... I want some butts! anger.gif

The book says "NA" in the autodisc column for IMR 4064, so you either measure the powder in the scale and pour each one or use a different powder. My book shows 16 different loads for the combination you stated.

You might try looking here, too. http://stevespages.com/308.html One of the best resources for reloaders.

From that site....

IMR-4064 From 44.2 grains to 53.6 grains

Winchester WLR Primer Edited by Yeoldetool

Bro, the perfect powder measure mounts to the bench, not to your turret press. The lee auto disk is the only lee powder dispenser that mounts to the press itself.

Your powders bulkyness would be the only reason you cant use it with the 'doubled up' auto disks. If your desired grain weight is too large in volume to fit in the largest holes of the disks, then you need a less bulky powder. If your desired charge does fit, and if just not mentioned in some chart, you need to get tossing charges and weighing them and get a starting point for yourself. Quit worrying about what some dumb chart says, it is not the sacred scripture of ammunition reloading.

What I say is, start weighing every disk combination until you get the right one or something reasonably close. Write everything down so you can look back on the work you put in. In the end, you will compile more useful data than any book can tell you, it just takes time.

You can use the "universal charging die" with the perfect powder measure. It costs about $15 and works well with stick powders. (it feels cheap but some elaborate private tests seem to show that it might be more precise due to wipe system than fancier models. Especially if you make a baffle for the reservoir.)

it is part #Lee #: 90273

It is not as smooth when press activated as an autodisk, but it works. Or you can just use the die without installing the link and use it to manually throw the charges.

Also handy if you want to use powders that don't meter well in the autodisk, such as large stick type powders in lower volumes.. I always verify weight of a few throws any time I make changes.

Only use Lee volumetric tables as a reference to get you close. Weigh to be sure. So far, almost every recipe I have tried has needed about 2 clicks up from the autodisk or LLA bushing stated by Lee to obtain the desired weight.

You can use the "universal charging die" with the perfect powder measure. It costs about $15 and works well with stick powders. (it feels cheap but some elaborate private tests seem to show that it might be more precise due to wipe system than fancier models. Especially if you make a baffle for the reservoir.)

it is part #Lee #: 90273

It is not as smooth when press activated as an autodisk, but it works. Or you can just use the die without installing the link and use it to manually throw the charges.

Also handy if you want to use powders that don't meter well in the autodisk, such as large stick type powders in lower volumes.. I always verify weight of a few throws any time I make changes.

Only use Lee volumetric tables as a reference to get you close. Weigh to be sure. So far, almost every recipe I have tried has needed about 2 clicks up from the autodisk or LLA bushing stated by Lee to obtain the desired weight.

Im glad you mentioned that, I had no idea it could be used on the turret. I thought it was bench mount only.

Thanks "Gun Fun."

I ordered two universal charging dies and two perfect powder measures for .30-30 and .30-06 reloading.

However, having looked more at LEE's chart for .30-30 that came with my dies, I now realize I can use the auto-disk powder dispenser and disks for .30-30 using good 'ole IMR 3031.

So ... I'll use a universal charging die and a perfect powder measure for .45-70 rounds later.

I just need the press's speed due to the large number of rounds I want to load. It takes forever using a single-stage press.

That will probably take the double disk kit, which is nice to have anyway. You can do up to 308 with double disks on the autodisk, dedpending on your powder choice.. 30/30 must be about the same capacity as that. Auto disk doesn't like stick powders in small volumes, but seems to be OK in large volumes.

One point with either measure is to be sure to pause during fill part of the stroke to make sure all the powder has time to flow. people who rush with large case capacity are asking for inconsistent charges.

I can say that I didn't like using Varget with the autodisk for .223 on my loadmaster, because random grains would occasionally spill, and those would stick in the shell plate. I've been looking for a good substitute ever since. I've since read a few tricks to help with this, but I think I may move to using Benchmark or one of a couple Hodgedon small flake type powders that have been suggested. I doubt that would matter with .30 cal cases, because they have less of a choke point. Also, part of the spilling can be attributed to the rifle chaging die for the autodisk having rough machining on the taper of the drop tube. Slicking that up helps to center the cartridge around the tube and avoid spills.

I've got the stuff to load 30/06 progressively, but I haven't used up what I made single stage yet.

I'd suggest not going full progressive, or loading straight through on your turret.

What I mean is that I think you will get better ammo with less problems if you do a first run to deprime, size and then trim [And if theere is military brass, to de-crimp the primer pocket], then a second run through your turret (or progressive as the case may be) doing all the other operations.

I really hate to piss in your Cheerios, but a Lee Turret Press and a Progressive Press are two different machines. The part mentioned above will not work with a turret press.

See the bottom left corner of this page... http://fsreloading.com/userfiles/file/instruction_sheets/2012pg19-Powder%20Measure.pdf

I know that, but the same advice applies to either. My cheerios are intact. The point was that you probably want to trim after resizing, and depending on your trimming tool, you might need to deprime first.

This means with a turret, that if you want consistent ammo (even crimp lengths and uniform primers)

you need to take out the indexing rod and just run them all through the sizer die, then do your trimming and primer pocket uniforming steps, to all your brass.

Then you put the indexer rod back in and use the turret function to prime, bell (if needed), powder drop, seat and crimp.

Lee Universal Charging Die, used with the Perfect Powder Measure for progressive style presses from 218 Bee to 300 Win Mag. Does not expand the case mouth. Works on case length .984 to 2.620 inches.

http://leeprecision.com/universal-charging-die.html

http://leeprecision.com/perfect-powder-measure.html

I know that, but the same advice applies to either. My cheerios are intact. The point was that you probably want to trim after resizing, and depending on your trimming tool, you might need to deprime first.

This means with a turret, that if you want consistent ammo (even crimp lengths and uniform primers)

you need to take out the indexing rod and just run them all through the sizer die, then do your trimming and primer pocket uniforming steps, to all your brass.

Then you put the indexer rod back in and use the turret function to prime, bell (if needed), powder drop, seat and crimp.

Sorry, I thought the subject was about getting the proper charge from the hopper to the shell case using a Lee turret press. My bad.

I am not intending to hi-jack, but just be helpful.

He wants the proper charge- and the followup shows that he was looking to run the shells straight through on the Lee turret. The additional stuff I talked about seemed to me to be a related consideration, to running a turret straight through. Those were issues I ran into shortly after asking about the same questions as the OP, albeit for a different press, but using the same powder measure. If the additional comments about breaking the process into two separate runs are officious, I apologize.

OP might be able to get consistent ammo by trimming and uniforming all his brass every 2-3 loadings and running straight through on the other times for speed. If he keeps careful track of his lots this would save a lot of loading time.

Anyway, Squeaky- if I butted in with stuff you weren't looking for, sorry. Either way let us know how it works for you.

You bought two setups to keep your turrets pre-calibrated, I assume. That makes good sense if you have the money. I'd love to be able to do that.

I bought extra turrets and dies for .45 ACP, .30-30, .30-06, and .45-70. I did not get a turret to do .223 only because I have not learned how to keep my Saiga from denting the shells upon ejection.

I suppose my main complaint with LEE is even though they make a neat turret press, they do not make it clear that only certain powders can be used for a given rifle caliber. If they did, I would not have bought so much IMR 4064, but would have gotten H335 so I could get right down to business.

LEE should have developed a press that accounts for more powders given the prevalence of .30 caliber rifles. All they needed to do was make disks with bigger diameters so bigger holes can be used for powder charges. I suppose this in turn would require a bigger turret to hold the dies. I think it is a bit disingenuous that LEE tries to market their turret press for rifle calibers too when it's actually quite limited for that. I think the turret was designed primarily for pistol calibers, but that was short-sighted. They should have gone ahead and designed a press that could do rifle loads too. That would have made more money for them.

LEE should have developed a press that accounts for more powders given the prevalence of .30 caliber rifles. All they needed to do was make disks with bigger diameters so bigger holes can be used for powder charges. I suppose this in turn would require a bigger turret to hold the dies. I think it is a bit disingenuous that LEE tries to market their turret press for rifle calibers too when it's actually quite limited for that. I think the turret was designed primarily for pistol calibers, but that was short-sighted. They should have gone ahead and designed a press that could do rifle loads too. That would have made more money for them.

They did.

• Like 1

+1.

If you notice the Lee combo packs that come with dies in larger rifle calibers come with the "perfect powder measure", and packs that come with dies for pistol sets come with the Autodisk. Getting both powder measures with the adapters is still cheaper than the next cheapest case activated powder measure sold by anyone else and you never have to buy a charge bar or seperate bushings. You could argue that the micro disk kit and double disk kit are the same thing. Fine. buy those accessories too, and you will still be under the price of anything sold by Dillon, RCBS, Hornady or Redding.

(normal prices, not crazy times or MSRP)

Lee perfect measure $24

lee adapter for same $14

Lee autodisk $26 (Autodisk PRO is $35)

Double disk kit $11

Micro disk $16

$101 for two measures with more accessories than needed. You could do pretty much all loads case activated with just the first two items. The ones below are smoother and arguably more convenient.

Hornady powder measure (similar to Lee perfect, but metal with no wipe) $78

Hornady case activated adapter $56

$134 (smoother, feels a lot more solid. may cut stick powder.)

expect similar cost from RCBS, a little more from redding, and a lot more from Dillon. All excellent products.

Warranty treatment excellent from all named companies.

You said lee would sell more stuff---They sell a lot of measures just for this reason. You can get a standard auto disk measure for $25 sometimes and there are a lot of guys with ~$1K Dillon press setups who have a separate $25 Lee powder measure on each of their tool heads so that they can leave the settings alone. It's a very good product at a very good price. It has some limitations.

Your turret press cost less than a single stage from most any other brand, and is solid. It's what I would want to use for larger rifle loading. (short of a Dillon 1050)

I wouldn't brag up every lee product, but a lot of them are excellent. Others are just good for the price, and a few are chintzy junk. I don't think I would buy their scale or Zip trim tool. 2/3 lee sizers I bought were undersize, and I got a flawed mold. My slug mold just broke, but it was very good and I will get another on warranty. Their single stage press is wobbly and needs more leverage, but it works.

• Like 1