Chrome lining question

How thick is the chrome lining on saiga barrels? Being from Texas things can get very sand filled and dusty? Wouldnt a bit of sand eventually scratch the chrome in the chamber and barrel? And wouldn't steel cased ammo scratch the chamber as well? Just wondering....not really concerned

How thick is the chrome lining on saiga barrels? Being from Texas things can get very sand filled and dusty? Wouldnt a bit of sand eventually scratch the chrome in the chamber and barrel? And wouldn't steel cased ammo scratch the chamber as well? Just wondering....not really concerned

I doubt you'll have any problems. There are numerous AK's still in service from the 50's over in the sandbox.

Well I started off thinking about the saigas with stepped chambers and whether or not the cutout section was chrome lined. Then I started thinking about sand and metal shavings in the chamber and scratching it up. Sorry.... used to be an AR guy and what turned me off to them was that I bought a RRA Ar15 with the extended feed ramps dremeled in by RRA. I didn't have a problem with it but once I posted about my new ar15 I got cut down pretty bad by alot of people saying how bad it was because the dremeled feedramps were not chrome lined and that it was sub par etc. Now I have a complex about keeping the chrome intact haha

Edited by Yugopap4me

Don't forget they were designed with steel cased ammo in mind smile.png

And steel core ammo with very thin jacket.

Yup, this is the ammo they were raised on. Nothing to worry about. Think of all the Mosin Nagant rifles out there, and how poorly they were taken care of by the infantry.....and how many still go strong to this day!

Ya your right I shouldn't care what Internet commandos think. I left the AR world because unless you had the latest thing. Extended feed ramps, 1/7 twist barrel, flat top upper with a red-dot and co-witnessed sites, rounded locking lugs, chrome lined bolt carrier, pinged screws, Magpul everything, etc then you were just considered a amateur and not really serious about ARs haha. That's why I got into AKs. Because an AK is an AK and any other add on or extra feature is just a bonus.

But sadly I still have a bit of the AR way of thinking ingrained in me haha

Edited by Yugopap4me

Russian chrome is the best in the world. They have beaucoup chromium deposits and use it liberally.

It was intended to reduce barrel corrosion from ammo and does this very well. It also has the side effect of increasing barrel life any way from many sources of wear.

Chromium is much harder than steel and ammo is no danger to it.

• Like 1