Hey, the content of this post is ancient. :P

The time humans have been on the Earth appears so minuscule, in the life of the planet.

I just had a vision of two guys fighting in the desert when the sand cliff above collapses preserving their weapons, gear, bodies, and uniforms. Archeologists in the future reconstruct the event using video recovered from a solid-state storage device attached to a camera that one of the soldiers was wearing. Everything goes into a museum exhibit for visitors to view and enjoy.

Metal Detector enthusiasts are still recovering bodies and gear from WW2 battlefields in Europe and the former USSR, on Youtube.

I like metal detecting. The archeological aspects and my nostalgia for the past keeps me fascinated.

Edited by Sim_Player

I used to run around WWI and WWII battlefields in the 8 years I was stationed in Germany. On most sites, metal detectors are forbidden for a reason. In the WWI Battle of Verdun, France, the Germans fired 1 million artillery rounds in ten hours. Just about every year, a treasure hunter is blown up while scouring the trenches for souvenirs. Yes, the trenches are still there.

Ya I remember reading a few years ago that a WWI trench outpost that was in a bog or something of that nature when a huge artillery shell exploded and buried theoutpost perfectly preserving everything. Maybe even bodies....I can't recall at this point. I'll have to look more into it once I get home

Ya I remember reading a few years ago that a WWI trench outpost that was in a bog or something of that nature when a huge artillery shell exploded and buried theoutpost perfectly preserving everything. Maybe even bodies....I can't recall at this point. I'll have to look more into it once I get home

There is one site in Verdun called the "Trench of the Bayonets". Apparently, a squad of French Soldiers were buried alive in their trench by simultaneous artillery hits. All that was left were the rifle barrels with affixed bayonets sticking up out of the soil. The French built a monument/overhead cover over the site. The rifles/bayonets are still there and the troops are in the soil beneath. That may be what you were thinking about. Sorry for the derail from the dino fossil thread.

I used to run around WWI and WWII battlefields in the 8 years I was stationed in Germany. On most sites, metal detectors are forbidden for a reason. In the WWI Battle of Verdun, France, the Germans fired 1 million artillery rounds in ten hours. Just about every year, a treasure hunter is blown up while scouring the trenches for souvenirs. Yes, the trenches are still there.

I believe near the Ypres salient, it was estimated there was roughly 10-12 arty rounds per square foot!. An individual out for a stroll decided to take 5 on a nearby fallen log. No he didn't get blown up however, he began to experience an intense burning sensation where he had contacted the log. It was later discovered there was, beneath the log an unexploded gas shell and the contents had been leaking out and had saturated the log.

Talk about a PITA!