GUYS,

Many models were made and there were complex additions to the machines during the war, but British code breakers managed to crack the "Enigma" code.

AH-NO.......ACTUALLY POLISH MILITARY INTELLIGENCE HAD A SMUGGLED ENIGMA AND HAD BEEN READING ENIGMA TRAFFIC SINCE THE MID-30'S.

WHEN IT BECAME CLEAR THAT THEY WERE DOOMED, THE POLES PRESENTED THE BRIT SPOOKS AND CRYPTO-BOFFINS WITH THEIR MACHINE.

THIS WAS DENIED, AND AN ALTERNATE STORY USED FOR MANY YEARS AFTER THE WAR, BECAUSE THE SURVIVING PRINCIPALS WERE BY THEN BEHIND THE IRON CURTIN, WITH THE SOVIET BOOT ON THEIR NECKS.

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344

GUYS,
Many models were made and there were complex additions to the machines during the war, but British code breakers managed to crack the "Enigma" code.

AH-NO.......ACTUALLY POLISH MILITARY INTELLIGENCE HAD A SMUGGLED ENIGMA AND HAD BEEN READING ENIGMA TRAFFIC SINCE THE MID-30'S.

the poles cracked the commercial enigma machine, which  is true. however, the poles never cracked the military version, which is a wholey different critter. it was the brits with some help from French mathematicians who eventually broke the military enigma .

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

it was the capture of the u-505 that helped in cracking the code ....

a enigma machine w/ documents that was retrieved from the germans trying to scuttle the boat

http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/u-505/the-exhibit/artifacts/enigma/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-505

outcome section

U 505 did add one more machine, but by then the British already had several.  If memory serves, at that early time pre war the Nazi Military was using modified commercial machines soosss both sides are correct...kinda.  Only during the middle-late war did Germany add many different versions---at least 4 Eye believe. History is so cool.  But writ by the victorious

History says some Nazis had a very good idea their stuff was being read, but nobody had the balls to tell Herr Hitler.  Probably wise.  Also FWIW, our breaking the Jap codes probably was directly related to the great Midway victory.  The Japs never recovered.  All because of breaking the other guys codes.   If the NSA is listening to us, who is listening to the NSA?  And so on?  HB of CJ (old coot)

Can you imagine being in a military (or politicial) position of command and having to make decisions that result in the deaths of innocent cilivians?  Didn't that brave Brit guy who let the Nazis bomb that English town have family there?  I am now confusing history with several older war movies.  An a former RN-PM, I had enough problems watching/letting injured/old patients die since there was nothing I could do.  Some in my arms.  Can you imagine hundreds?  I can't.  Glad I do not have to.  Maybe all politicians need to have an old Enigma machine.  It might make them think a bit....if that is possible. HB of CJ (old coot) sad.png

GUYS,

ANOTHER PUZZLE-PIECE TO THE ENIGMA-MAGIC-ULTRA-PURPLE-JN25, ET AL, STORY........

A JAP DIPLOMATIC-TYPE STATIONED IN EUROPE SPOTTED ONE OF THE ENIGMA'S IN USE, AND SINCE THE JAPS WERE LOOKING ABOUT FOR A BETTER, MORE SECURE, CYPHER MACHINE, THE JAPS ADOPTED A VERSION OF IT FOR THEIR MILITARY/DIPLO CODES.

GIVEN THE ADVANCES MADE AGAINST THE GERMAN MACHINES ALREADY, IT MADE OUR BREAKING OF THE PURPLE/JN25 LESS DIFFICULT.

JESS1344