Thinking about possibly picking up there newest solar powered version for my wifes rifle. Anyone have one and what do you think of them.

http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scopes/red-dot/ak-vepr-saiga-slr/obzor-1p63-tactical-combat-scope-w-solar-dual-white-green-multipurpose-reticle-ak-akm-mount.html

thinking about picking up a venezuelan red dot for my 7.62x39 as well, maybe!

Mainly getting one for my wife because she has poor eye sight and I want here to enjoy her rifle so I figured I would get her somethinig nice, I can pick up aimpoints around here for about 400 but the solar powered scopes really appeal to me, just wondering about longevity.

Edited by dashowdy

Well, I had Kalinka and other battery operated for years. Sold'm off couple years ago. Know the hassle of batteries, yet solar can be a pain also. Just haven't heard Kalinka's track record on this unit. Went with the Mako Mepro M21. 3 years on 1st one. Lot of banging around, no issue. Got 4 now, son's got 2. Always ready to go, even if locked away for long periods. Made for abuse. Regularly around same price as what you are looking at. With Buyer's club double discount (quarterly deal)and coupons, usually pick up around $400 at Sportsman's Guide.

• Like 1

Well, I had Kalinka and other battery operated for years. Sold'm off couple years ago. Know the hassle of batteries, yet solar can be a pain also. Just haven't heard Kalinka's track record on this unit. Went with the Mako Mepro M21. 3 years on 1st one. Lot of banging around, no issue. Got 4 now, son's got 2. Always ready to go, even if locked away for long periods. Made for abuse. Regularly around same price as what you are looking at. With Buyer's club double discount (quarterly deal)and coupons, usually pick up around $400 at Sportsman's Guide.

I agree with you about the M21. However, Mako customer service sucks. Mako has nothing to do with the production of this scope, they were one of the first to sell it in this country. Several other outfits will give you a square deal and stand behind the brands they sell. This is my personal experience with them, shit communications and poor customer service. I just wanted a new one and and old Mepor 21 rebuilt. They gave me the run around on the authentic IDF Mepor and I told them to fuck off and purchased a new Mepro from another company.

Meprolight Mepro Mepor / Israel has nothing to do with the fucks at Mako, they just sell military shit.

The M21 will kick the shit out of the russian scope in every way. If you want authentic russian (non issued) scopes, then go for it. It's nice but not as nice as the m21 that is issued and used by the idf and comes with a new tavor!

Good luck!

I agree with you about the M21. However, Mako customer service sucks. Mako has nothing to do with the production of this scope, they were one of the first to sell it in this country. Several other outfits will give you a square deal and stand behind the brands they sell. This is my personal experience with them, shit communications and poor customer service. I just wanted a new one and and old Mepor 21 rebuilt. They gave me the run around on the authentic IDF Mepor and I told them to fuck off and purchased a new Mepro from another company.

Meprolight Mepro Mepor / Israel has nothing to do with the fucks at Mako, they just sell military shit.

The M21 will kick the shit out of the russian scope in every way. If you want authentic russian (non issued) scopes, then go for it. It's nice but not as nice as the m21 that is issued and used by the idf and comes with a new tavor!

Good luck!

Haven't had a problem, yet heard of Mako being a poor service company. Picked up/used the M21 while doing some work overseas years ago. Just jumped on'm when available in US. Most persons don't know to dig for other suppliers, was trying to steer towards a non-power source issue/dependable device. Especially, since price is about the same.

• Like 1

Good luck!

Haven't had a problem, yet heard of Mako being a poor service company. Picked up/used the M21 while doing some work overseas years ago. Just jumped on'm when available in US. Most persons don't know to dig for other suppliers, was trying to steer towards a non-power source issue/dependable device. Especially, since price is about the same.

The M21 Mepro is one of the top reflex sights on the market. Meprolight customer service is great and their products are spectacular. Finding a used Mepor 21 like we did overseas would be nice but rarely happens. A few places found them surplus over the years but you have to consider the half life of the Hydrogen 3 (tritium) in the body of the device. It takes a lot of skill to dismantle the scope and unglue the glass ample, then reseal it and reassemble. Meprolight will do this for you now.

Mako, is just a Walmart of tactical gear. No association whatsoever with Merprolight in Israel.

I would put an M21 up against any other reflex in the world.

I guess I am more interested in the correct look but want good functionality for the price, I may purchase a posp instead but I at least found one other that peaked my interest, the kashtan 1p78.

http://russianoptics.net/1P78Kashtan.html

Completely different beasts. Both rugged and dependable scopes. If your entire rifle is set up to look like an issued weapon, I can see why you want a russian optic. It would look cool to have it dialed in as authentic as possible. When you actually get out and use the stuff we can buy in a gun shop over here compared to what the Russians have to offer, you will quickly see that it is more a a novelty niche than a kick ass high speed sight or scope.

If they were so high speed, you wouldn't see russians using Mepro, Aimpoint, Trijicon, etc in the field. You would see russian optics all over the world slapped on to the universal mount of their rifles.

Good luck getting dialed in! Post some photos when you pull the trigger on your new optics!

• Like 1

That looks like a nice rugged sight. I have a Kobra sight which is also nice but this one looks a lot smaller and easier to wield.

I bought a used Gen 2 Kobra from this forum and the damed power switch knob fell off the first time I actually fired it to zero it on a x39mm. It must have been broken already and barely hanging on. Be careful with that rotary switch! I am still researching a fix to this Russian POS. Mepros are good to go in my book, have a couple.

Edited by MT Predator