Feeling stupid

Ok, so I'm looking at putting a different scope on my 308. I seem to remember somewhere that there were side-rail mounts that sat centered over the bore, and were lowprofile enough that you couldn't use the iron sights. That's what I'm looking for. I can't find a damned thing though. Anybody have a link? Thanks for your time.

Ok, so I'm looking at putting a different scope on my 308. I seem to remember somewhere that there were side-rail mounts that sat centered over the bore, and were lowprofile enough that you couldn't use the iron sights. That's what I'm looking for. I can't find a damned thing though. Anybody have a link? Thanks for your time.

Tokageko,

Do you mean this? I have two on order awaiting arrivial any day. Indy swears by them.

http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/mountsksak.html

Wolverine :smoke:

Ummmmm.....

Yeah... I swear by those from Eastwave... but they DO NOT sit perfectly centered over the bore...

Just off to the side a LITTLE BIT... not as bad as some, though...

I dont recall EVER mentioning that they sit centered... Just that eastwave mounts are GOOD, and eastwave is a reputable company that has good products, and delivers promptly. And that I have bought 3 or 4 of those mounts from them over time.

just wanted to be clear on that...

:smoke:

Ummmmm.....

Yeah... I swear by those from Eastwave... but they DO NOT sit perfectly centered over the bore...

Just off to the side a LITTLE BIT... not as bad as some, though...

I dont recall EVER mentioning that they sit centered... Just that eastwave mounts are GOOD, and eastwave is a reputable company that has good products, and delivers promptly. And that I have bought 3 or 4 of those mounts from them over time.

just wanted to be clear on that...

:smoke:

Indy,

Glad you spoke up. I did question if that was the model he was looking for. I agree you have never commented on them sitting centered and such. Actually I was looking to give you credit for locating a quality mount at a decent price rather than shift responsibility. Hells bells, I got enough faith in you that I ordered two without ever seeing one in the flesh. Now if Eastwave would just get them to me!! :cryss:

Wolverine

Thanks guys, that looks about right.

There is another contender though, that I found late last night at Tantal. I've heard good things about both companies. The quality of workmanship is about the same. So, it will probably come down to actual cost of the mount and shipping. Geuss that makes me cheap eh? ;)

Thanks again.

Edit:

As an aside, it looks like it would be easy enough to modify the mount from East wave if it didn't sit where I wanted it to (windage-wise). It looks like a matter of: removing four screws and two pins(?), adding shims, applying locktite (after checking for proper placement), and replacing said screws and pins(?).

Edited by Tokageko
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought one of the mounts from Clearview Investments and posted a pic of it here. It is not a quick release, rather it has 3 screws that clamp it down. 35 bucks and it sits damn near on the reciever cover and is centered.

post-583-1137902931_thumb.jpg

here's a pic, its also the one on my S20 in my avatar

Thanks Danny; I'll have to check that out. Haven't ordered anything yet, so there's still some room for decision making. Now, if only the scope I ordered would get here.... It's a 10x42 with a 30mm body and target turrets (1/4 MOA). Ordered it from CDNN for $39.95, which includes rings and lens-covers. With shipping it was just shy of $50 (by itself). Still, for the money I figured it was a chance I could take.

I have that same mount as Dannyboy on my 308-1. Works ok. Has a Weaver rail. There are no adjustments so you are stuck with whatever alignment you get. Its straight on my 308-1 but on my 7.62x39 it sits crooked. I use a 2.5 power Simmons shotgun scope with a 5.5 inch eye relief. Its low enough to get a good cheek weld. It doesnt loosen up like some of the other mounts because of the way the 3 screws are positioned. The screws pull the dovetail together instead of pulling outward from the base. After looking at all the mounts I could find I think the one sold for the Vepr is probably the best. Its 100.00 so I havent got one yet.