I do not understand why they were taken in the first place mad.gif

Conditioning brother! Train the sheep. I agree, the weapon should have not been confiscated without  warrant. In my dream world, the department would be responsible for your safety once they disarm you so if they really need your weapon, they need to post a guard.

• Like 2

027.gif

I hope they make a case for compensation for breaking their second amendment rights and taking them in the first place.

Stet that.  I guess it wasn't a government official that took the guns, but if it were, they should make a case.

They may still have a slightly different case against the school/security officials.

• Like 1

027.gif

I hope they make a case for compensation for breaking their second amendment rights and taking them in the first place.

Stet that.  I guess it wasn't a government official that took the guns, but if it were, they should make a case.

They may still have a slightly different case against the school/security officials.

I think they have a case against the university and the security officers as they are not sworn law enforcement or peace keepers. You only get to see a small part of this. I bet some bottom feeder told the security company to return the pistols are be charged with theft and impersonating an officer.

Who knows.

No... You can plead the 5th, but you're not allowed to plead the 2nd.  :wacko:

Also, they "presumably" signed a lease of some kind for the housing, which is university-owned, and guns are banned there. I don't think they have a case there.    Unfortunately.

Chances are, security overstepped, and the kids could've been expelled for violating the policy - since both sides broke the rules, they let the kids stay in school, they return the weapons and the kids don't sue them. Seems like a tacit agreement not to escalate the situation any further.

I do not understand why they were taken in the first place mad.gif

Conditioning brother! Train the sheep. I agree, the weapon should have not been confiscated without  warrant. In my dream world, the department would be responsible for your safety once they disarm you so if they really need your weapon, they need to post a guard.

How about should not have been confiscated by a civilian... 

There was a case in some state or another about landlords not having the ability to impose things that would be unconstitutional for state actors to do, since effectively the lessee is in the shoes of the property owner. I recall a couple cases about family law and the like. Anyway, the school here is a private entity, but these people don't live on campus. The school is really acting as a landlord. Landlords cannot constitutionally make restrictions on who you marry, or whether you reproduce, etc. They can restrict some things from entering in the first place like no kids in an old folks home, but once you are in, they can't mess with your ability to make core life decsions (So if your grandma has kids, they can't evict her for it.). It seems to me the same principle logically extends to rights explicitly listed in the constitution if it goes to all the fuzzy penumbral rights related to "privacy"

Chances are, security overstepped, and the kids could've been expelled for violating the policy - since both sides broke the rules, they let the kids stay in school, they return the weapons and the kids don't sue them. Seems like a tacit agreement not to escalate the situation any further.

Yep and also not to anger alumni who donate. I'd bet they have received some correspondence about that.