I thought i would share how my M85PV project is going.  (may have to add pics later, more are available in my gallery in the m85pv folder)

post-37526-0-00363600-1386202785_thumb.jpgpost-37526-0-93042600-1386202823_thumb.jpg

Before i start i would like to get this disclaimer out of the way.  All fitting issues with my center balance kit are due to two factors, 1) it was never intended for a PAP, it was made for a Draco  2) i have after market mods that are also in the way.  I'm sure the kit fits perfectly on a Draco as intended.

all the pics i have are of me doing a very rough fit job, i will polish it all up once i fix the fitting issues.

The reason I'm installing a center balance kit is because here in Washington state sbr's are illegal.  the next best thing is a arm gun, and i thought the kit kind of looked cool.

I've added two mod kits to this gun so far.  Texas AK Designs Bastard, and a R&R Targets AR safety, sadly i lost some of the pics of the installation of these.

both are awesome smile.png

To add the safety i had to remove the existing safety and weld the hole closed, then drill a new safety hole and 4 indents.

The AR mag adapter required me to drill 3 holes and tap 2, their was some grinding that needed to be done internally to allow for mag clearance.  

I received the center balance kit the day before thanks giving and quickly had some issues (i knew i would after all its not intended for my gun)

first issue i had is the hand guard retainer is too large and lacks a cleaning rod hole.  i cut down the retainer and it now fits.

the top cover has a hole intended for the front sight to poke through, that hole is located too far forward so i had to remove the front sight (i planned to cut it off anyway)

the wood furniture around the gas tube had to be removed to fit, this required some grinding.  the retainers are spot welded on.

the center balance kit has a cover that hides the old trigger that cover prevents the dust cover from opening (its hinged on a PAP).  i cut it down to allow the dust cover to open.  i had 3 more issues with the cover, 1) my AR safety was in the way, 2) it blocks my mag release, 3) the kit comes with a block to secure it that fits in the hole for the pistol grip, my bastard kit is in the way of that.

to fully attach the cover i need to make a custom block that will fit the bastard kit where the pistol grip goes.

that last issue I'm having is the trigger linkage.  its binding on my mag release and hitting my safety, i also think it should slide on a rail.

the two critiques i have about the center balance kit are, the safety is crap it doesn't work well and its just a plastic block that interrupts the pull.

secondly the trigger linkage really needs a guide rail.  other than that the kit seems to be really nice, and i would recommend it.  

i will post more as i finish more.  i do plan to add a top rail soon and put flip sights on it.

Edited by Salt

Am I the only one that would have used a platform other than a pistol to make a pup?

The length savings are mere inches.

I'm not bagging on you and will actually follow this thread to see if there is something I'm missing and where this ends up.

Keep posting up the pics.  

Glad to see you start your thread.

For my two cents, I've held this, and the kit makes total sense. I want one, but probably starting with a Draco is a lot easier.

For what it's worth, having held the above conglomeration, it is going to be very handy and have almost all of the advantages of an SBR with none of the legal hassle. It is comfortable and well ballanced even as a progressing mockup mod. About the only problem I have with it is that the safety Salt added is not by your operating hand, and the safety built into the kit is both uncomfortable and badly made. It tends to bind because the parts are not fitted well. 

His muzzle is going to end in a place where an extention/ comp would make sense, although he may have to toy with what form of comp doesn't make much blast that close to his face. The end cap doesn't leave much clearance around the (28mm?) threads on the PAP

Overall, the kit is comfortable, well made and far lighter than I would have guessed by looking at it.

Salt is very artistic and skilled. Based on other projects he has done, this will be extremely cool before he is done, unless he gets bored with it.

Also, the chopped AFG isn't going to work, because you need that rail space for your saw ;)

• Like 1

I dunno man.

certainly a unique approach.

also, Starship Troopers

It does give off a sifi vibe, and it certainly isn't for everyone.

I think if you held it you would feel the ergonomics difference and at least appreciate that aspect of it.

feels good

Also, the chopped AFG isn't going to work, because you need that rail space for your saw wink.png

that's for my shotty lol.  i do still want to do something like a afg, it kind of needs it.

Edited by Salt

I've been wanting to do this for awhile now. Nice start. But if I may, you may want to try a sling attachment at the rear. In this way, you can push the weapon forward like the pistol it is and the shoulder sling will steady it. Kinda like those subgun shoulder slings. This would also alleviate the desire to "shoulder" the rear of the receiver.

Just a thought. Keep us updated.

• Like 1