S12 threads on Rem 870

Has anyone done this?

I was planning on having my 870 threaded to S12 specs in order to share muzzle devices, but after taking some measurements it appears as though the 870 barrel does not have a large enough OD to directly cut threads into.

I see that CGW sells an adapter that threads in like Rem chokes. So I suppose there is always the option of having the 870 barrel internally threaded then using the adapter. This would need to be silver soldered in cause I'm gonna need a total barrel length of 18.75"

Am I missing anything? Is it possible to thread an 870 to S12 specs without using an adapter?

If the OD of the 870 BBL is not large enough, here are two options that would give you the external threads you desire.... 

Option A: Silver solder a sleeve that can be turned down to the correct OD on the end of the barrel.

Option B: Buy a used long barrel, and cut it back. There should be enough OD back that far from the muzzle.

Could an adapter be made that threaded into rem choke threads and extended past the muzzle with saiga threads? I'm sure there's plenty of chopped off and threaded saiga pieces, maybe buy one off a guy for cheap and rig it to a rem choke tread protector? Just brainstorming

So far it looks like I'll probably be going with the CGW adapter, which threads in like rem-chokes. They are the only folks I've found who offer a product like this. It doesn't look to me like there will be enough clearance for a threaded sleeve over the 870 bbl.

Thanks for the help guys, gonna talk with Leland at SOC tonight and see what we can come up with. Will report back when project is completed.

• Like 1