Kalashnikov signs contract at SHOT 2014 to ship rifles to USA and Cana

Spent a good while talking with people about chrome lined barrels and it is not as clear cut as one might have been taught.

First off as we know chrome lining came about as a way to forestall the effects of corrosive ammo. In that it yields excellent results.

But nothing is free and chrome lining will result in a small accuracy drop off and added cost. IIRC the Stoner rifles were not chromed for a long time.

So unless you are shooting corrosive ammo AND cannot clean a weapon properly then its a very minor issue.

Damage from corrosion is cumulative. As soon as corrosive salts touch a metallic surface, corrosion begins. The faster you can neutralize the salts, the less corrosion the surface will endure. If there's only a few minutes or an hour or two for the corrosive salts to act, the damage will be minimal, and probably not visible to the naked eye. Repeat that process a few hundred times and the barrel will show noticeable wear from corrosion. A chrome-lined bore simply extends the life of the barrel, providing a protective layer that is not as vulnerable to corrosion as bare steel. Even if you never fire corrosive ammunition, a chrome-lined bore can extend the life of your barrel. If you always keep the bore lubricated while in storage, it's almost a non-issue, but if you're a bit lazy about cleaning your weapons, a bare steel bore is an unfinished steel surface - and it will corrode in storage.

Spent a good while talking with people about chrome lined barrels and it is not as clear cut as one might have been taught.

First off as we know chrome lining came about as a way to forestall the effects of corrosive ammo. In that it yields excellent results.

But nothing is free and chrome lining will result in a small accuracy drop off and added cost. IIRC the Stoner rifles were not chromed for a long time.

So unless you are shooting corrosive ammo AND cannot clean a weapon properly then its a very minor issue.

Damage from corrosion is cumulative. As soon as corrosive salts touch a metallic surface, corrosion begins. The faster you can neutralize the salts, the less corrosion the surface will endure. If there's only a few minutes or an hour or two for the corrosive salts to act, the damage will be minimal, and probably not visible to the naked eye. Repeat that process a few hundred times and the barrel will show noticeable wear from corrosion. A chrome-lined bore simply extends the life of the barrel, providing a protective layer that is not as vulnerable to corrosion as bare steel. Even if you never fire corrosive ammunition, a chrome-lined bore can extend the life of your barrel. If you always keep the bore lubricated while in storage, it's almost a non-issue, but if you're a bit lazy about cleaning your weapons, a bare steel bore is an unfinished steel surface - and it will corrode in storage.

True if you use corrosive ammo it is a plus.

Let us remember the main culprit of barrel wear, and engine or any other machine, is use. Cleaning a weapon is no different than changing the oil in your car. Do it you will be rewarded do not do it you suffer.

The Yugos didn't chrome their thicker than "normal" barrels and their ammo only used a mildly corrosive primer, the powder is not. Worked out just fine. We all pretty much agree it is excellent ammo and the Yugo AK and SKS builds, not those bastardized imports, are pretty fair rifles.

But then any steel is subject to corrosion and the rest of rifle is not chromed so why just the barrel lining? 

Because we want it, unnecessarily IMHO.

I will take the accuracy and reduced cost since I care for my weapons even in the field. 

This does represent a change in my thinking, never too old to learn.

True if you use corrosive ammo it is a plus.

Let us remember the main culprit of barrel wear, and engine or any other machine, is use. Cleaning a weapon is no different than changing the oil in your car. Do it you will be rewarded do not do it you suffer.

The Yugos didn't chrome their thicker than "normal" barrels and their ammo only used a mildly corrosive primer, the powder is not. Worked out just fine. We all pretty much agree it is excellent ammo and the Yugo AK and SKS builds, not those bastardized imports, are pretty fair rifles.

But then any steel is subject to corrosion and the rest of rifle is not chromed so why just the barrel lining? 

Because we want it, unnecessarily IMHO.

I will take the accuracy and reduced cost since I care for my weapons even in the field. 

This does represent a change in my thinking, never too old to learn.

They're great weapons - but look at the bore condition on the average Yugoslavian rifle versus, say, a Romanian rifle. Many used Yugo barrels look like utter shit. A pitted Romy barrel is unusual.

The reason the barrel is chromed and not the rest of the rifle - the rest of the rifle can be coated in a protective finish. Your options are very limited in the chamber and bore - it's pretty much chrome-lined or bare steel, for corrosion resistance. You can't really paint the bore - you need something much, much thinner, like a coating of chromium. For accuracy, bare steel is considered slightly better. I prefer a chrome-lined bore for the same reason I prefer an AK - it is rugged and keeps on chugging, even if conditions require abuse.

so is that the only news from shot? no 9mm saigas yet or anything new?

this was from that 20000 article. seems pretty shady:

Kalashnikov Group Director General Konstantine Busygin was not granted an American visa to visit the 2014 SHOT show in Las Vegas. The contract with RWC was signed by his deputy Pavel Kolegov, who headed Kalashnikov Group delegation to the Western hemisphere’s largest firearms trade event.