.308 ROMAK or Saiga?????

The availability of the .308 Saiga has me giving it a hard look right now to fill a void in a .308 AK style weapon. .308 ROMAK's are a little harder to find and a little more expensive, but I'm less likely to tear in to it and start modifying things and adding to the cost. I wouldn't think either are extremely accurate, but was interested if anyone has some up front experience with both in terms of "is one more accurate than the other"? I had a .308 Galil that was pretty much an ass kicker of a gun, but still had some issues with long range accuracy. Right now I'm looking for a cheaper alternative in an AK platform.

Yeah, they make a .308 romak... identical to the 54R, just chambered for .308...

Owning a 54R variant, and a S.308... I would immediately chose the .308 romak OVER the saiga...

Ok... heres WHY...

First off... I think the Romak LOOKS cooler than a S.308... it is what the S.308 WANTS to look like....

Its already got the drag style stock... which I REALLY dig, but thats just me... its got the sweet blonde wood with real upper and lower handguards... no welding, no splitting, no fiddlefussing around...

Its already got a muzzlebreak on it...

It comes standard with higher capacity mags than the S.308 does... ok, I know.. I know... 10 rounds versus 8... yeah, yeah.... still more!

you can probably get it to come with a scope already pre zeroed..

Other than that... personal preference... but for me...

If I had to do it all over again... I would have gotten the .308 romak over the 54R romak, purely for ease of ammo!!!

On the negative side...

Its about 2/3rds again the price.

It will be just as tough to get a hi cap mag as it is now for the S.308... if not harder...

I think thats all the negative there is, really.. LOL

:smoke:

Back when Saigas were plentiful (but not very popular), I chose the S-308 over the Romak because it cost half as much! Then at my leisure I did a conversion to drag stock. The Romak can still be found, easier than the Saiga 308 now, in my experience.

I just went thru this last month asking on another site about the romak in 7,62x54. I was told they had an accuracy problem as the barrel got hotter POA tends to drift. Plus the receiver isn't really made to take the power of the 7,62x54 round. With the price tag it kind of made me stay away from getting it even though i like the way it looks lets face it its not a copy of a russian dragunov by any means. Lets face it for the price of one romak you can own both saiga's with a 16" and 22" barrels in 308win/nato thats a big plus. I'm getting tired of waiting for the saiga in 7,62x54. I think the 308win. saiga or any model saiga for that matter has everything going for it, its a plus in any direct you look at it, its affordable price tag, russian "AK" quality, russian AK dependability and russian AK reliability. Overall its the best bang for our buck right now.

BTW; I still like the Romak 7,62x54 and in 308 are neat guns and i still may get one, but its not going to be a safe queen, its going to earn its keep and be tested and shot like the rest of them are. I clean them, lube them up and shoot them if they can't hold up i'll post the results either way. The real russian dragunov is the one to have but I think the chinese copy of the dragunov is the one to get next i would like to get a russian saiga tigr too.

Edited by Unknown Poster

I shoot my PSL ( romak) more than any other rifle I own... for two reasons...

ITs FUN... the ammo is cheap...

as far as accuracy changing... it doesnt.

I can blast off 10 rounds in 15 seconsds from a totally cold barrel at 100M into a 1.5" group. No problem

These are awesome lil shooters, let me tell you... Mine is almost my total favorite over all others I own...

:smoke:

I own both, and my Romak wins hands down. I shoot it so much I have worn out the trigger group. Accuracy is still as good as it was new. Czech silvertip was $75/800 shipped from AIM for a while so I amassed quite a bit, more than I'll prolly ever use.

They are standard AK in reliability. There were reported problems with some of the built from parts kits rifles, but that was due to crappy building. I think TN guns cared more about making a buck than building a quality product, and I lost all respect for them when they started stamping Dragunov on their recievers. I'll never buy anything that they had anything to do with solely on that intentional falsehood on their part.

My Romak with 8x42 POSP is lighter, more consistantly accurate, and kicks less than my 22"Saiga with 6x42 POSP, and ATi Drag stock.

Even with the corrosive ammo, I have cleaned my Romak maybe ten times is 3 years. If I had to sell all my weapons but one, it would be my keeper.

The only "accuracy problem" I ever heard of with a x54R PSL was fixed completely by taking a little bit of wood out of the inside of the lower hand-gaurd. One of the reviews I read did say that the 308 version had feeding issues. Who knows though?

Most of what I hear passing for "reasons" as to why one gun is better than another (particularly regarding accuracy) tend to be little more than disguised prefference- nothing more. It has something to do with a sig-line I once had... "I've met more people, than guns, with excessive head-space...."

Bottom Line: Find some way to try one, or both. Be industrious. I'm sure you'll think of something. Then, decide for yourself.