As I mentioned earlier, I already have a rifle in 6.8 SPC. I was interested in the new .300 BLK, so I did some quick ballistics research. It appears that for "normal" loads, the .300 uses a 110 gr. bullet with very similar results to the 6.8, at under 200 yards. If it's that close, I'd keep using the 6.8 for a pistol upper. (I already have reloading supplies for it!)

Yes, the real benefit here is that 300BLK uses all standard, cheaper, AR15 components including bolt and magazines. The only unique part is the barrel. In fact, with the Buds handguard you could swap back and forth between 5.56 and 300BLK in seconds by just changing the barrel. For someone without an existing 6.8 loading setup, its a more economic choice for most applications.

Police are picking it up too for SWAT type stuff. They can use subsonic for indoor ops, then if the perps move outdoors they just swap mags with longer-range supersonic ammo.

Advantages of 300blk over 6.8:

Standard AR mags loaded at full capacity

Standard AR bolt

Brass can be made from 223/5.56 brass

Uses .308 caliber bullets (hundreds of available weights/styles)

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone here knows the answer, but can a 7.62x39 be reloaded with a heavy bullet to get subsonic stats similar to a 300 BLK? Just curious how that might allow for CQB range while suppressed (and probably indoors), yet you could go back to the full power loads for outside.

Hello

I don't pursue subsonic loads, but I routinely load AK brass with 155-168 gr. .308 projectiles.

The 155gr. bullets fly magnificently, with very little shift in POI, grouping doesn't seem to change from .311 diameter bullets. The selection of bullets is far greater in .309, obviously.

Much of my shooting is from SBR's, somehow many of my AK based weapons just wound up being short, or started out that way.

FWIW...

-Guido

• Like 1

5.7x28 is definitely reloadable. I don't see why 4.6x30 wouldn't be - it uses a Boxer primer, small rifle iirc. If you can find or make bullets, you can reload it. You could always cast lead bullets - out of sufficiently hard lead, loaded to around 2,000 FPS it shouldn't be a problem. If you ask Lee hard enough, they'll make just about anything custom - bullet molds or dies.

The P90/PS90, or the pistol in 5.7x28 caliber is fine. I'd prefer a P90, due to the 10.3" barrel. The rounds are reloadable, and the standard stuff at the stores is either 40 grain V-max or a (I think) 27 grain hollow point. NONE of the rounds are AP, unless you can lay your hands on the 190 ammo that is, that's a 31 grain bullet. I've got both the PS90 and 5.7 pistol by FN and love them, the pistol, you can dump a 20 round factory mag before a cat can lick his ass and stay on target. The PS90, is fun, hardly no recoil, if at all, and the brass falls ON your feet. I've shot a P90 and it's fun, but $22.00 for 50 rounds in about 3-4 seconds, well let's just say, I pissed away some money that day at the gun store.

Reloading this caliber can eat your lunch along with your hand and a gun, it's a quirky caliber, and will bite you if you don't pay attention. MasterPiece Arms is making a 5.7 pistol that favors the Mac design, got one too, and it functions great.

For a PDW, why not look at the Sterling's that are being made. The one with the full length tube, folding stocking, 34 round side loaded mag, 9mm, Hell, if you run out of ammo, use it as a damn club, it's got a little weight to it for that. Or, Rossi Ranch hand, AKA Mares leg, I was shooting mine Saturday and the .357 140 grain XTP's with H110 was running over 1900 FPS and punching pretty nice holes in the trees at about 50 feet.

The bad thing about the 5.7 inside a house, it will most likely go thru walls if you miss the BG, as will most of the calibers that pack a punch.

5.7x28 is definitely reloadable. I don't see why 4.6x30 wouldn't be - it uses a Boxer primer, small rifle iirc. If you can find or make bullets, you can reload it. You could always cast lead bullets - out of sufficiently hard lead, loaded to around 2,000 FPS it shouldn't be a problem. If you ask Lee hard enough, they'll make just about anything custom - bullet molds or dies.

The 5.7x28 is a .224 diameter bullet, same as AR, just lighter

• Like 1

I've loaded it. It's a picky little cartridge, screwing up the amount of powder or seating the bullet a little too deeply can cause a huge spike in pressure. I imagine 4.6x30 is similarly picky. My comments were about that cartridge - the bullet availability for which is probably low or nil.