Politely request advice on how to depress the recoil spring cam on my VEPR 7,62X54r rifle. It is brand new from the factory, and I am unable to depress the cam so as to remove the receiver cover for initial field stripping and cleaning. It looks like you have to push in AND down on the cam at the same time in order to insert it through the square hole in the back of the receiver cover. I have even tried a rubber mallet and punch, but to no avail. Very frustrating indeed. What am I doing wrong? There seems to be no cam release button on the receiver. Any suggestions? Do the parts of the rifle just need some "working in?" Or am I just not exerting enough physical pressure on the cam to push it in?

Push the button straight in, it doesn't push down at all. hold it in and with your other hand give the cover a quick upward smack on the side. it should pop right off

• Like 1

Yep, I have tried and tried. The cam button WILL NOT depress into the hole at the back of the receiver cover. The top of the cam button extends upwards just slightly higher than the hole clearance, and thus will not enter so as to unable me to remove the receiver cover. Has any one had this problem before with a new VEPR? I have tried everything: on safe, off safe, holding the bolt open, nothing works. Is my rifle defective from the factory? Did they place a wrong fitting recoil spring cam?

I know it's a new gun, but I'd have a flat head screwdriver in the grooves and beat that bitch through the hole with a BFH.

It went through the hole when it was put together, so it will surely go the other direction.

I doubt you have one with a button on top, but look and see. If it is, its a round dot that has to go down prior to pushing in. My Vepr Rsa won't go completely in, but it goes in enough to get the cover to pop up and out.

My VEPR does not have a bolt hold open - interestingly enough. So the spring is not compressed. I will look again for a cam release button, but don't think I will find one. I have looked all around the gun already. But I really want to know - is it normal or standard operating procedure on these types of weapons (Eastern Bloc type weapons, Russian, etc.) that you have to pummel the thing with a hammer to get it to work?

My VEPR does not have a bolt hold open - interestingly enough. So the spring is not compressed. I will look again for a cam release button, but don't think I will find one. I have looked all around the gun already. But I really want to know - is it normal or standard operating procedure on these types of weapons (Eastern Bloc type weapons, Russian, etc.) that you have to pummel the thing with a hammer to get it to work?

If you insert a mag does it shoot? If so...than it works! :D

Usually no but sometimes shit happens. Could be a stiff spring or maybe something got inside and is preventing the spring from moving or you might have gotten a lemon