It's the next gun I'm thinking about getting. I've done some research on prices and such, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of actual reviews... perhaps it's because people with AK pistols are only interested in making a lot of noise and seeing the huge muzzle-flash. Regardless, I'm curious whether anyone here has any experience with AK 47 pistols, if if so what you have to say about them. Thanks in advance.

I built one myself. It works great. Made it for anti-terrorist purposes and thus it hasn't seen much use. I basically made it as a wannabe rifle that legally counted as a pistol for CCW laws, so it can be transported loaded legally in my state and would be ready in case some sort of emergency use was necessary.

One recreational advantage is that it seems easier to bump fire than anything else. Not that I'm a fan of bump firing.

Mine is built on the AMD-65 kit with 12" barrel, so it isn't as loud as a Krinkov would be.

I suspected as much. Thanks Jon.

In particular, I'm looking at one of the lower-priced models from Elite Firearms. Something with a combination gasblock/front sight would be ideal, but seems to be prohibitively expensive.

Grip might have to do with controllability one handed. I'm a lanky guy so larger hands = better leverage on a grip = an easier time holding up the weight, but I'd suggest, like a broken record, that the Tapco SAW grip will make a two handed grip at least better and a one handed grip no worse.

I'd say try out both ways. I've actually found the two handed grip to give me a steadier aim than one hand on the grip and one on the handguard. And this is with the more barrel-heavy AMD-65, not a Krinkov.

Grip might have to do with controllability one handed. I'm a lanky guy so larger hands = better leverage on a grip = an easier time holding up the weight, but I'd suggest, like a broken record, that the Tapco SAW grip will make a two handed grip at least better and a one handed grip no worse.

I'd say try out both ways. I've actually found the two handed grip to give me a steadier aim than one hand on the grip and one on the handguard. And this is with the more barrel-heavy AMD-65, not a Krinkov.

What are the prices on the Elite pistols? I have heard nothing but bad things about Elite in general. The Atlantic Arms AK pistol is $599, and it has the SAW grip and a pict railed handguard. Control, just add a vert grip up front, a Tromix Shark FH, 30 round mag and you are friggin set! I am actually thinking about getting one.

What are the prices on the Elite pistols? I have heard nothing but bad things about Elite in general. The Atlantic Arms AK pistol is $599, and it has the SAW grip and a pict railed handguard. Control, just add a vert grip up front, a Tromix Shark FH, 30 round mag and you are friggin set! I am actually thinking about getting one.

i guess forget the V grip, BATF says no, no, but that is if you build your own, i don't know what it says about buying one, then adding.

I thought they had ruled that only slanted foregrips were forbidden? I was also under the impression that the expiration of the AWB did away with most of the restritions on pistols.

Edited by Tokageko
  • 4 weeks later...
The "forward pistol grip on a pistol" rule was part of the NFA not the 1994 ban. The 1994 law said you couldn't have any kind of forearm at all on a pistol, but as you can see, that law's gone because these AK pistols have forearms.

not quite true. the 94 ban said that pistols had to be under 52 oz. to be considered a pistol. The rifle caliber pistols you see made during that era generally lacked the front handguard as a means to shave weight.

Caspian

No no no no no. The '94 ban had a >52oz weight as a restricted feature. Two or more features activated the ban, same was as with the rifles, just with different features. Notice how the Olympic arms pistols had a great deal of metal machined away, while the carbon 15s could be more intact due to their lighter material. AK pistols were made during the ban using a fixed mag, that is a drum welded into place or a peculiar innovation with a stick mag.

My source of info:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/...ist/nfa_faq.txt

Relevent section:

"ATF has made the decision that a handgun (but not a machine gun,

since a machine gun is not also an AOW) with more than one hand

grip at an angle to the bore is an AOW. This is based on the gun

a) being concealable on the person, and B) not meeting the

definition of a "pistol" in the regulations promulgated under the

NFA, since they say a pistol has a single grip at an angle to the

bore. However, at least one federal magistrate has decided that if

the grip is added later, the gun is not "originally designed" to be

fired by holding in more than one grip, and thus putting a second

grip on a pistol does not make it an AOW. ATF does not regard the

decision as binding.* The case is U.S. v. Davis, Crim No. 8:93-106

(D.S.C. 1993) (Report of Magistrate, June 21, 1993). The

prosecution was dismissed at the request of the Government before

any review of that determination by the trial judge."

*but then again, what do they consider binding?

Aside from that, it's a whole $5 to register an AOW. Unless anyone has a problem with being fingerprinted and having the gun registered to them- it's not too big of a deal.

Just something else to chew on....

Edited by Tokageko