Pre Range Ammo List

OK Here is the pre-range report on the ammo i'll be firing off Saturday in my S20, 19" barrel, with Tromix "Madness" flash hider, 10 round mags, ACE internal blocks w/car stock:

2 3/4:

Winchester AA #8

Federal Slugs

Winchester X Game #8

Winchester X Game #7 1/2

Federal High Vel #7 1/2

Winchester X Target #7 1/2

Federal Target #7 1/2

Federal Buckshot #3

Remington Express Buckshot #3

3" Magnum Loads:

Federal Magnum #2

Remington Magnum #2

Estate Magnum #2 Steel Shot

Will update with PICTURES this Saturday evening with a complete report on how all shells worked. Also, If I can find any more types of shells I will add to the list.

OK Just got done polishing the rails, and the ejector and the "ejector ramp"? on the S20, it seems that when you ride the bolt forward it likes to catch on something up front. also polished the feed ramps and the trigger face, i didnt' want to break it down too much cause i've had a few Canadian clubs and coke!!! My neighbor is going to go with me on saturday and shoot and take pics! He has never shot a saiga, nor a Mosin, so keeping my fingers crossed it is a non FTE day!

Good luck man and don't forget your "woodys"...lol!

I sure hope your initial range test doesn't become an official rain jest like mine did! Damn that's almost funnt!

I know what you mean about that hangup on the forward bolt movement. I have wondered before if that could be part of the problem sometimes. Anyway scare some bean bandits and I don't want to see any pictures of your S-20 with a shell sticking out of the side!

Good luck man and don't forget your "woodys"...lol!

I sure hope your initial range test doesn't become an official rain jest like mine did! Damn that's almost funnt!

I know what you mean about that hangup on the forward bolt movement. I have wondered before if that could be part of the problem sometimes. Anyway scare some bean bandits and I don't want to see any pictures of your S-20 with a shell sticking out of the side!

RAIN, it has been over 200 days without rain down here. the shotty has over 500 rounds through it already, i just have not done anything official and written it down. After polishing the rails, it does seem to work a little better, I was sitting outside on the swing last nite, canadian club and coke, fire going in the fire pit, and working the action about 1000 times, neighbor looked over the wall cause he heard me and called me psycho! he's the one going with me saturday! all good fun!

OK Here is the Story: Once upon a time, ...Went out to the range today with the above rounds for the S20, first forgot the friggin camera! Official range is 20 miles away from house, go back? NO Got to the range, set up, anxious to fire the 20 more than the other weapons. load up 10 round mag with slugs, gas on 1, not magnum slugs, fire, FTE, WTF, fire, FTE, etc for the whole mag. get out all the rest of the loads which are labled in baggies, lay out nicely, try 5 each of the rounds that are listed in post 1 of this thread, in that order. FTE, FTE, FTE. Getting pissed. OK, put all of the 2 3/4 back in case, break out the 3" magnums, take out the blind plug for the 10th time since Friday to make sure I have it on the right setting, no gas=magnum. rack slide, bang, bang, bang, +7 more times......COOL!, EXPENSIVE! Cook off the rest of the magnum rounds, then i say WTF, let's try the shorties again, 2, 10 round mags full of various loads, and 1, 5 round mag. ALL OF THEM FIRED WITHOUT PROBLEM AS FAST AS I COULD PULL THE TRIGGER, NO FTE AT ALL. Had one that would not feed and it turned out the Cobra's wood follower had come off, so we know that works. fired another 200 rounds of the cheap shit, all fired. I am leaving it alone, not cleaning it, not changing the gas setting, nothing! it's perfect. the only other problem was i was rapid firing and all of a sudden my home made 10 rounder broke in half at the seam. rounds out on the ground, perfect break though so i can fix it. other than that great range day. then i went fishing, and caught a small bass, threw him back and came home with a huge smile on my face. also the SKS and the M44 functioned flawlessly and are sighted in perfect.

Either you didn't glue it good enough or you left enough room at the back for the shell rim to catch on it. I have tested them in all my mags and none have come loose yet. If you want to be extra sure it never happens again run a small screw up thru the bottom of the follower. (Predrill it first.)

Roadkill,

Are you saying that you ran the 3" magnums through on #2 gas setting and left it on that setting to run everything else and it ran through fine despite the "magnum" gas setting? How could the lighter loads cycle with little or no gas? :unsure:

Wolverine

Roadkill,

Are you saying that you ran the 3" magnums through on #2 gas setting and left it on that setting to run everything else and it ran through fine despite the "magnum" gas setting? How could the lighter loads cycle with little or no gas? :unsure:

Wolverine

dude, i'm sitting here right now with the blind plug in my hand looking at the orientation of where i left it when i left the range, and it is where the "slash" angle or whatever is down, and the solid portion is blocking off the ports. I SWEAR!!! it ran even the 100 round walmart box for 11.00 bucks! I was so impressed it almost killed me. i have looked at the gas port, see my post "brain fart" until i'm blue in the face and it is where i say it is at and it runs perfect. what do you think?

Roadkill,

Wolverine

dude, i'm sitting here right now with the blind plug in my hand looking at the orientation of where i left it when i left the range, and it is where the "slash" angle or whatever is down, and the solid portion is blocking off the ports. I SWEAR!!! it ran even the 100 round walmart box for 11.00 bucks! I was so impressed it almost killed me. i have looked at the gas port, see my post "brain fart" until i'm blue in the face and it is where i say it is at and it runs perfect. what do you think?

The ports are on the bottom. If the plug is sitting with the beveled part on the bottom then that is your light load setting(should say #2 where the pin is locking). The ports are blocked off (magnum setting) when the bevel is facing up.

Roadkill,

Wolverine

The ports are on the bottom. If the plug is sitting with the beveled part on the bottom then that is your light load setting(should say #2 where the pin is locking). The ports are blocked off (magnum setting) when the bevel is facing up.

your right cobra, too tired last nite, and after getting into it on another board cause the "didn't like my gun" i was kinda pissed. oh well everyone has their opinons. what i did at the range was shoot the magnums in the correct position, i shot well over 50 #2 and #3 buck. then i went to the cheap shit, switched it back over to light load, SORRY WOLVERINE, and it ran everything that went in, which it did not do before. could it have been the polishing effect due to the magnum rounds. i have checked the trunion and it all looks good. like i said, i'm gonna run down today and put a couple of mags through it to make sure i wasn't trippin! :unsure:

Roadkill,

Wolverine

COBRA,

Thanks for clarifying settings for us. That leads to another question. Is it possible turn the plug out two or three turns and let it lock into place at #2 to increase the amount of gas for pushing the Wally world light loads? Or doesn't this work or increase the amount of gas and push but leaves the plug threads more exposed and possibly subject to dirt, grime and maybe damage? Just a thought.

Wolverine

I haven't tried that but have thought about it and it seems to me that if you open it up further you will not get any more gas but rather increase the space in the gas chamber therefore loosing the umph transferred to the piston.

I haven't tried that but have thought about it and it seems to me that if you open it up further you will not get any more gas but rather increase the space in the gas chamber therefore loosing the umph transferred to the piston.

I looked at the plug and oriented it, my numbers are covered with paint so i used a white dot system, open is 2 dots, it is screwed in all the way until it almost will click on the #1 dot, then backed out to the number 2. I'm going in about 30 minutes to shoot at some cans (ME__CANS) so i'll report after that.

I looked at the plug and oriented it, my numbers are covered with paint so i used a white dot system, open is 2 dots, it is screwed in all the way until it almost will click on the #1 dot, then backed out to the number 2. I'm going in about 30 minutes to shoot at some cans (ME__CANS) so i'll report after that.

OK, I'm back, ran 75 rounds of el cheapo, low brass, #8 shot, not a single hiccup unless you count the one round that did not fire, not the guns fault. very funny, i cross the canal road to go where i usually test fire, and there is always border patrol right there on the corner. i told my wife this morning before i left that i don't know why they waste their time sitting there as it is a main area for people going down to the river and that no illegal alian with any sense would cross there since they know the BP is sitting right there. so i get to the crossing and sure as shit, there are 4 illegals, crosslegged, hands on head! guess i was wrong! so i drove down about a 1/4 mile and opened up into a hay bale. like i said no problems at all on the light load setting. i am very happy, cause now i can stop beating this dead horse ammo and functioning issue. thanx guys

the only other problem was i was rapid firing and all of a sudden my home made 10 rounder broke in half at the seam. rounds out on the ground, perfect break though so i can fix it.

Did you use a soldering iron or just epoxy? I've dropped mine, shot lots of 3" & slugs & have yet to crack one. You can't even get 'em to crack when squeezing the sides in by hand. I make the welded seam area about 1/4" wide. The polyamide has fibers in it similiar to fiberglass or phenolic and I've found it to be very strong.

Glad you got it running good. Soon I'm going to be popping the GB's off my S-20 & Craig's S-20 to do another upgrade. I'm going to spec the gas ports & photo. I'm curious as to what the deal is with mine since it's been a gem - my last one was too. If anyone else does it, I'd be curious if mine has larger ports. Craig's gun is a '00 model and mine's an '02. His is horrid with 2 1/2 dram. He put 8 boxes through it and it was crap from beginning to end. He had a string of 6 concurrent shots, but it was mostly every 3rd one jammed. He was running some Federal & Estate. He doesn't want to try running a bunch of heavy's & slugs, he just wants to open the ports & try that.

I use 2 1/2 dram ammo all the time. This one did have a couple ammo issues the first time out - see Cobra's post - but not since. I believe those were ammo related with mix-n-match shells & deformed brass.

The Wally World Remington 2 1/2 dram runs better than their Federal ammo with the same component listing......for whatever reason.....at least in my S-20. The Federal stovepipes with just about every single shot. Remington will FTE too but not nearly as often. Of course my Wally World stocks 3 times as much of the Federal stuff....... :smoke:

Wolvie

Hmmm, our wally worlds over here have no Federal and very miniscule amounts of Remington. Tons of Winchester though...

ya know guys, it runs everything on that ammo list, i am so happy. Now if you guys got information on building/buying an AK pistol, that is next!