Saiga 7.62x39 Mag Catch Lever

Hi guys, I have a Saiga IZ-132 that I've been slowly converting. The Handguard/gas tube is finished. And I just did the Dinzag bullet guide last weekend.

Only problem is, I filed my mag catch lever down to where there is a tiny bit of wiggle up and downwards with my Circle 10 magazine. The angle of my botched filing job was also a slightly uneven angle. I know it will function just fine. But my OCD kicked in to high gear and i gotta have it perfect.

So I just ordered from Kvar a East German mag catch lever assembly and a Bulgarian mag catch lever(only). I also ordered a $5 rivet kit from Dinzag specifically for changing out the mag catch lever.

So my questions are....

I. Is this a big deal to change this out? Cause it looks like a pain from what little info and videos I've seen. (I think I'm gonna have my gunsmith change this out for me when he gets back in to town)

2. More importantly, will either one of the Mag Catch Levers from Kvar be a good fit in my Saiga?

3. Can the original riveted pin that's holding it in be used? Or should I just use the one that will be included in the Dinzag kit?

Thanks in advance for any info guys. And sorry if my questions seem kinda frivolous. Any info who's dealt with this on their 7.62 Saiga would be greatly appreciated. Please give me any and all details, tricks, etc. to get this back to perfection.

If you are saying you messed up on the mag release you are not alone. I took too much off on one of my S762’s as well, take a look here and you will see the replacement of the one to left.  I purchased the replaced/upgrade from CSS. With their kit you have a choice of either using  the rivet or screw with thread-locker but you must fit this part to your rifle as well. I guess it’s best if you get a few different mags and test fit with each.  If you get this kit or one like it just go slow with the filing & fitting and you will be good

(EDIT typos)

Edited by Another-Saiga-Fan
  • Like 1

Hi guys, I have a Saiga IZ-132 that I've been slowly converting. The Handguard/gas tube is finished. And I just did the Dinzag bullet guide last weekend.

Only problem is, I filed my mag catch lever down to where there is a tiny bit of wiggle up and downwards with my Circle 10 magazine. The angle of my botched filing job was also a slightly uneven angle. I know it will function just fine. But my OCD kicked in to high gear and i gotta have it perfect.

So I just ordered from Kvar a East German mag catch lever assembly and a Bulgarian mag catch lever(only). I also ordered a $5 rivet kit from Dinzag specifically for changing out the mag catch lever.

So my questions are....

I. Is this a big deal to change this out? Cause it looks like a pain from what little info and videos I've seen. (I think I'm gonna have my gunsmith change this out for me when he gets back in to town)

2. More importantly, will either one of the Mag Catch Levers from Kvar be a good fit in my Saiga?

3. Can the original riveted pin that's holding it in be used? Or should I just use the one that will be included in the Dinzag kit?

Thanks in advance for any info guys. And sorry if my questions seem kinda frivolous. Any info who's dealt with this on their 7.62 Saiga would be greatly appreciated. Please give me any and all details, tricks, etc. to get this back to perfection.

With the correct tools, it's extremely easy. Without the correct tools, it's a pain in the ass. The proper tools to do this at home are a drill press to remove the old rivets, a 10-ton or greater shop press and a trigger guard rivet jig to set the new rivets. I can't recall who makes it, but there is a tapped plate that you set inside of the receiver and screw small threaded bolts into to secure the trigger guard.

• Like 1

This video is actually an installation video for one of those hokey aftermarket releases, but it does show the basic steps if you don't have a drill press and or shop press and jigs.  If you're using Dinzag's kit you can use the screw pin the same as is shown here.

You can also use the old ball bearing in a vise trick to flare the rivet if you want to go that route.

http://www.innovative-ordnance.com/app/download/676499104/TAK-LatchInstallVideo.wmv

• Like 1

So my questions are....

With the correct tools, it's extremely easy. Without the correct tools, it's a pain in the ass. The proper tools to do this at home are a drill press to remove the old rivets, a 10-ton or greater shop press and a trigger guard rivet jig to set the new rivets. I can't recall who makes it, but there is a tapped plate that you set inside of the receiver and screw small threaded bolts into to secure the trigger guard.

That's a whole lot of extra work for just the mag latch. ;)