Interesting S12 import marks

Interesting marks on my new S12. If I look in the right light I can see that underneath the big mark it used to say EAA Corp. Anyone want to let me in on what used to be under the little mark? This receiver is marked 2001 like Tony's but his import mark is in the right spot.

Another interesting point, the slug that goes between the gas port and the piston is dirty on both sides but clean on the edges. If it was dirty on one side I'd just figure it was test fired at the factory, but both sides is a bit odd. I wonder if this was a return that EAA sent back. We'll find out tomorrow if it's defective or not, it's going to eat some Remington slugs and 00 buck for lunch and some Winchester birdshot for desert.

post-2259-1139541228.jpg

post-2259-1139541221.jpg

post-2259-1139541236.jpg

Under the little mark it says F(1.0) for full choke. Does it have a 22" barrel? I have had some S-12s still marked F(1.0) when they had 19" cyl. bore barrels. Seems they marked the receivers first then pressed in different barrels.

I have a 2000 model with 19" threaded barrel that's marked the same way.

Mine has a crosshatched area on the front Rt side covering the old Kalashnikov USA stamp and then the newer EAA stamp on the Rt rear.

post-1293-1139579939_thumb.jpg

Thanks Cobra. It's a 19" threaded barrel with no obvious taper. According to the manual all threaded barrels are cylinder bore.

Some other things to note:

This gun is boxed as an IZ-109 but has fixed sites. Buyers who really want adjustable sites may want to have their guns checked before they ship.

It seems that not all the guns have the ugly marks covering the old import marks, again if you have a preference you may want to ask your distributor to handpick one without.

Where is the importer's marking? Looking at it, I already know the answer... but please tell me that RAA engraved their marks on the gas tube, not the barrel.

They must have run out of free spots on the receiver... :unsure:

My importers marks (RAAC) are all stamped on the right side, rear end of the receiver in a very large billboard pattern. No machining marks there like in the pic above. I have the little machined out area under the caliber marking also and my receiver is dated 2000!!!!!! No markings on the barrel or gas tube.

Also, mine has an adjustable sight "bar" on top of the barrel/gas tube. Also, the choke is lableled 0,0??? What does THAT mean?? Do you think this first batch in is a bunch of "cast off", rejected stuff?

Edited by tsargis
My importers marks (RAAC) are all stamped on the right side, rear end of the receiver in a very large billboard pattern. No machining marks there like in the pic above. I have the little machined out area under the caliber marking also and my receiver is dated 2000!!!!!! No markings on the barrel or gas tube.

Also, mine has an adjustable sight "bar" on top of the barrel/gas tube. Also, the choke is lableled 0,0??? What does THAT mean?? Do you think this first batch in is a bunch of "cast off", rejected stuff?

I got a brief look at my S-12 at my FFL but cannot take possession until next week when the guy who logs and records the arrivals gets back from the SHOT show in Las Vegas. Mfr. date is 2001, no BHO, rail sight is as yours, and a small machined out area on the right, I think it may have ben stamped for the previous importer but never shipped or they are using some left over parts, not "rejects" (I hope). :angel: The choke C(0,0) is a cylinder choke. Others you can get are F(1,0)= full choke, and M(0.5)= half choke. URALS sells them and I think some members of the forum have sold them from their own collections. :smoke:

Where is the importer's marking? Looking at it, I already know the answer... but please tell me that RAA engraved their marks on the gas tube, not the barrel.

Yup, that's the barrel and it's almost the entire exposed length of the barrel. It screwed up the finish too, the paint has flaked off pretty bad around the name after 1 cleaning and 100 rounds.

The finish on this gun is really bad, in some areas it's some sort of thin paint that's coming off (barrel and fcg pins). It looks like after they machined off the EAA marks they painted the gun, with the safety in the fire position. Some parts of the gun are blue, like inside the receiver. This blue stuff is coming off with Hoppes No. 9 so that's not well done either.

I haven't decided yet if this gun is going back, it's probably going to stay and get a converstion and complete repaint because it shoots great.

They must have run out of free spots on the receiver... :unsure:

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol: Good one dinzag! Damn I hope RAAC can stay in business awhile or think of what the next ones could look like.

On the painted receiver with selector on fire position, and the stamped barrel, my factory camo S-12 is like this. They did go back over it with the selector moved but you can see a difference. Definately painted after assembly. I don't know who the dumbass was that decided to stamp importer marks on the damned barrel!! And here's the worst part, on my barrel is stamped, the infamous 'AKs for Dummies' mark, "READ OWNERS MANUAL BFORE USE" GGGRRRRRRR! :killer:

Another interesting note on the camo 12 (01' Mfg) the EAA CORP stamp is on the forward right side above the 18,3... instead of at the right rear like all my other ones.

And wanta12, if you send her back, or decide to keep her, you may be wantin' to think about changing your handle to wantanother12! :smoke: