Some helpful tips to prevent backsliding.

Do not let triggers sneak up on you. Go have your favorite dinner - and deliberately  NOT  have a smoke or chew. Do the same with SEX!

My worst is when I have just finished a task and am figuring what to get into next - that was the hardest, and the hardest to plan how to do that when I was feeling mentally strong. Made it thru. It is all  a mental challenge and whether you succeed or fail is more about your state of mind than anything else. 

I used anger - - it pissed me off that a damned cigar could have that much control over ME! And my inner Scotsman was PISSED that a cigar costs over a dollar!

• Like 3

Excellent advice GOB. The hardest thing about quitting is "relearning" how to do things without the nicotine. Quite frankly I was paralyzed for the first week when I came home from Haiti. Nothing I did felt right without a Cope. I had the honor of shark fishing with Chile Relleno last night in Pensacola. I knew before hand it was going to be tough...first time fishing without dip, possibly long hours of sitting waiting, and a 24+ hour period without much sleep.

I was prepared for it, and it got me through. Thanks to Chile and his buddies for a great night of fishing and comradery. +1 on using anger in a positive way to buck up and overcome that which controls you whether it be dip, alcohol, fear, or apathy. We do not have to be slaves to that which controls us.

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 2

Very nice to finally meet you Darek, your wife and girls are beautiful, very nice family.

You're very gracious and outgoing, look forward to fishing with you anytime.

I wish I could've put a big shark in your hands, but that's the way it goes.

Three big bites out of that whole ray we put out, and yet never a click on that reel.

At least we didn't get skunked as a group and Ted and his brother Alex hooked into a few sharks.

Angler: Alex Gentily

Blacktip (female)

Total length 63"  Fork length 52"

Estimated weight 50#

Tagged and released

shark10719_zps7xl7qj0a.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you Chile. I enjoyed everyone's company. It is amazing that a bunch of guys can get together from multiple forums many never having met before and have a great night of fishing together. You and your wife are doing a great job with Nathaniel. He is a great kid. No worries about no shark, that is fishing, and I am thankful that you were gracious enough to let me join you and use your gear. I am glad I got to see a shark on the beach with Ted and Alex. If only we had some more Bonita. :)

We will do it again sometime, and maybe next time I will have some gear of my own. Thanks again Brother

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

1 YEAR DOWN

One of the hardest things I have ever done, and I still miss it occasionally. Thank you for all the encouragement when I took on the challenge of laying down the Cope. :)

Don't look back!

You may inspire me to quit smoking.

Good luck brother!

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 2