Have you all seen the PCA Spectrum Ammo? When I got my AR my dealer through some in with it and it shot well, accurate as it could be with a 16in barrel and no bipod. Had one case fail to extract all the way.

The case is grey plastic with the base being regular brass with a regular primer. The bullet is the normal sized bullet. What first struck me is that it is extremely light....so if you guys plan on packing around alot of 223 or hate the weight of an AR drum...this could be good for you. Imagine the difference it'd make for a belt fed SAW!

Here's the best pic I have of it....I was in a rush to shoot the new AR and didn't take any photos of the casings....Had a good group at 25yrds standing.

post-21-1083025117.jpg

KySoldier: did you read in your manual that you should be running a cleaning rod down the barrel every shot for 20 rounds, then every five shots till you hit 100 rounds? then every twenty rounds till you put 500 through your barrel? without changing direction in the middle of the barrel? sounds like your gun is still needing to be broken in if you had an ejection problem that soon....it coulda been the ammo too I suppose, but that stuff looks pretty good...

chips: I haven't heard of other calibers but then again this stuff is new...as the box shows, it can be in any color they want too, although I think grey is the only color they are mfg right now. I doubt the cases are reloadable.

Bvamp: I've heard that somewhere before but I've never heard why. What is the purpose of rodding it? Do you use cleaner on the patch or dry? If its important I'll do it this weekend.

KySoldier: Its for accuracy when you break in the barrel when its new. You groups will hold just a tad smaller if you do that. I dont know about using solvent each time. I THINK you do it dry, or light lube or something. Ill check for you. Its something competition shooters do, if you dont do it you wont lose that much on it.

I've got a friend who tried some of that plastic cased .223. I haven't been able to find it in any other caliber thus far.

It's pretty cool stuff. It shoots well and is quite light. To test the possibility of cook off or melting, we put 1000 rounds of brass in, emptied all his mags at full auto (it's nice having a buddy with a Class III)) and then loaded up 300 rounds of the plastic stuff. We shot off 160 of it in full auto and put a new mag in with plastic casings. Chambered it and set it down on the bench rest to see if it'll cook off.

After 5 minutes, we popped the mag out and unchambered the round. No cook off, no melting... nothing. I did notice some interesting scratches on the plastic casings after ejection but after looking in the rifle, we found no plastic shavings.

My opinion... when the hell are they going to make these in 7.62x39???

SammoH: thats crazy! that alone would get me buying them, as I shoot a lot per session myself, and I actually had a round cook off on me one time. I guess the plastic doesnt transfer heat the same way. If thats the case, I would think that the barrel temperature should be lower as well....

I've also had brass cased rounds cook off on me. I didn't bother actually checking the barrel of his M16 for temperature but I know it was hot enough to have the heatwaves fouling up the sight picture. lol

The plastic casings don't transfer much heat at all I guess. In any case, I asked my buddy and he said expect to pay a little more for the stuff right now. It's not exactly a common item.

I'm just waiting for them to come up with 7.62x39... then I'm going crazy.

Hi all

im just thinking , ive never seen the plastic cased ammo but is it reloadable?

how is the bulet crimped into the case? sounds good but im guessing its throw away cases. any more piks of the ammo?

all the best

assassin

wow sure is different!

Thats the first time i seen those. i guess as long as they are cheap and reliable they will make good blasting ammo.

Its a novel idea but how accurate do you guys find them?

all the best

assassin

Assassin, from what I shot of them they seemed very accurate, look at the first post, thats 25yrds standing with my AR (16in barrel, 9x scope).

Nice to know they make it in 308....I might get some of them too!