My gas tube on my Romanian AK47 has very slight pitting on the gas tube.  Im guessing the origional owner ran corrosive ammo.  Its super slight, just a few places.  Looks like little specks of carbon.  I hope its not an issue.  Again the spots are there are just a few are smaller then the tip of a pencil..Far smaller.

post-46614-0-01752400-1446950562_thumb.jpg

Edited by reid17

Thanks SG, i appreciate it.  Im super picky on how I clean my weapons. And it bothers me that someone let one go like that.  Took it out for the first time today and it sang like an opera queen.  Damn I love the chunky 7.62 round...

Well now I feel retarded. Its the gas piston...not the gas tube.  sheesh..beat me with a hammer

Thanks SG, i appreciate it.  Im super picky on how I clean my weapons. And it bothers me that someone let one go like that.  Took it out for the first time today and it sang like an opera queen.  Damn I love the chunky 7.62 round...

Well now I feel retarded. Its the gas piston...not the gas tube.  sheesh..beat me with a hammer

No problem.  Just hit it with a scotch brite pad and some oil.  If it comes off (and it probably will) then you have an easy fix.

If it doesn't, it's not going to hurt anything in the slightest.

I would only be concerned if the corrosion penetrated extremely deep.

My SKS gas piston has pitting like that. It doesn't worry me (functionality wise) it just isn't perfect.

I try not to let it bother me.

Edited by Sim_Player

If it bugs you that bad, get a stainless piston.

Not a bad idea.

Stainless steel is a good choice for this application, IMHO.

It's nice to have options but, that blemish won't affect funtionality for 100 years (running non-corrosive ammo).

Edited by Sim_Player