Short Barreled Rifles, Short Barreled Shotguns, Destructive Devices, Any Other Weapons, and Silencers are not Class 3 firearms. They are often sold by a "Class 3 dealer", which is a Type 01 FFL holder (dealer) with a Class 03 Special Occupational Tax (to deal in NFA firearms). SBR, SBS, DD, AOW, and Silencer are NFA/Title II firearms. 

While I have your ear, I have heard people (non FFL holders) say things to the effect of "I want to get my Class 3 license so I can get a silencer, SBR, etc.". This is pure ignorance and as long as they go on thinking they need a "class 3 license" to own a silencer they will never own one. Clearly, they need to have a basic understanding of what they are wanting to do in order to achieve it. What they want is a Tax Stamp. Whether they are making/registering a new NFA item on a Form 1 or merely transferring/registering an existing NFA item on a Form 4, they need a Tax Stamp for each NFA item. A Tax stamp is not a "license".

So.... if anyone would like to add something here that would be enlightening, by all means, please do. If this needs to be moved to the NFA section, I understand. However, it will not help these people if it is in the NFA section. Bear in mind, they are generally clueless about "NFA" and they are probably pissed off about the absence of a "class 3" section here ;)

• Like 3

Fun and easy but not cheap out here in SW OR USA to collect tax stamps.  Automatic rifles, short barrel rifles, short barreled shotguns, cans; the usual.  It might be easy for the ordinary folks like us to feel overwhelmed or afraid to join in all the fun.  We never had any problems with working through the rather simple paperwork.  But then again we also have had to do it many times with the various professional license we also have.

There is also another less fun but more serious reason why we collect stamps.  We also use it as a weather gage for future government actions.  Many good NFA (National Firearms Act) forums exist on the internet.  Some are excellent keeping track of coming trends and events.  Consider it a trip wire.  So far, so good.  Nothing on the horizon YET.  This stuff is fun but somewhat expensive to shoot off.  Some say this stuff is required.

Edited by HB.  All US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.  This is the usual disclaimer stating all of our toys are legal to own and possess in Oregon USA.  You local and state gun laws may vary greatly.

Edited by HB of CJ

Oh, sure, I'll add a few things.

SBR = Short Barrel Rifle (Under 16" barrel length measure from bolt face on a closed bolt to end of muzzle, not including any non permanent muzzle attachments, or under 26" overall length with stock unfolded, if applicable)

SBS = Short Barrel Shotgun (Under 18" barrel measured the same as above, or 26" overall)

AOW = Any Other Weapon (This would include things such as a pistol with a vertical grip, but no stock, a shotgun which has never had a stock attached, but is less than 18" barrel/26" overall such as the Serbu Super Shorty, etc.)

DD = Destructive Device (This could mean several things. Common candidates would include the Streetsweeper shotgun, the USAS-12 ((if semi-auto)), a rifle which the ATF considers to have no "sporting purpose" that has a bore diameter of .500" or greater ((not including antiques or replica blackpowder)), etc.)

Suppressor = Suppressor (Quite self explanatory. The one thing I might say for this one, though, is an answer to a question I see quite often. That is, yes, you have to have a tax stamp for EACH suppressor. Same with any other NFA item**. Each item requires a tax stamp. For example, you can not get an SBR tax stamp, then build as many as you wish. Each requires one.)

MG = Machinegun ("Any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger". ** The one special attribute of machineguns, aside from the fact that they are automatic, is that they can be configured in any way. For example, a machinegun can be short barrel, with a stock, without a stock, vertical grip, etc., and only use one tax stamp. Some, like the MAC machineguns even transfer with a suppressor without requiring an extra stamp.

In order to fill out the appropriate paperwork, one has two options. The first option is to do so as an individual, the second option (and more common option) is to fill out the paperwork using a "trust" which you've had made. To fill it out as an individual requires, among other things, fingerprints, photo I.D., Chief Law Enforcement signature and $200 ($5 for an AOW "transfer". It would still be $200 to build) payable to the ATF along with your completed Form. Using a trust, on the other hand, you would fill out the form using the trust information (i.e. 2a. (transferee's name adress would be the name and address of the trust), no fingerprints, photo I.D., or signature are required. Again, however, $200 transfer ($5 AOW transfer) (Form 4) or $200 build (Form 1), payable to the ATF. So, the reason people choose go the trust route is to skip the hassle of dealing with the extra steps, or they may also have a Chief LEO who is unwilling to sign as they are not required to do so.  

To go a little further, machineguns (as I'm sure you've figured out by now) fall under the NFA (Nation Firearms Act of 1934) as well, and as such is considered, like all others on the list an "NFA item, or title 2 firearm. Unlike the others on this list, however, a Form 1 can not be used in the manufacture of a new machinegun. As of May 19, 1986, as an amendment (Hughes Amendment) to the FOPA (Firearm Owner's Protection Act), no private individual may construct a new machinegun, or convert an existing firearm into a machinegun. Only a manufacturer (FFL) with a Type 2 SOT (Special Occupational Tax) may build a post sample (after 1986) machinegun. Furthermore, only machineguns which have been registered under the NFA prior to May 19, 1986 are allowed to be transferred on a form 4. This means if you come across a Thompson which has been hidden in your great grandfather's barn for the better part of a century, and it isn't registered, it's illegal for anybody to possess.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm at least....97% certain what I've got is correct, but if any of you knows something to be wrong, please let me know and I will change it.

Edited by forsaken352
  • Like 2